Gift of Tone #24 - TIM PIERCE

Woah! Thank you FAS and Tim Pierce. TP is a monster… I remember buying Rick Springfield albums back in the day just to listen to Tim Pierce - I have always thought he is a true unsung hero of guitar! Go Tim! And thank you for this GOT!!!
Huh! So Neil Gerardo and Tim Pierce played on his stuff? Wow. Learned something new.

What a great preset from a great guy! Very well done! To my ear Tim's scene levels are more in line with how they would be expected to be utilized (i.e., rhythm vs lead) than some others. Thanks!

regarding the Gate block, I think, it gives an interesting effect, as it sort of mutes the attack of the notes. If you don't like, just switch the block channel to channel B, which will let everything thru. (you might need to switch to channel A, the same channel as is used in scene 1)

regarding the Gate block, I think, it gives an interesting effect, as it sort of mutes the attack of the notes. If you don't like, just switch the block channel to channel B, which will let everything thru. (you might need to switch to channel A, the same channel as is used in scene 1)
I think it was a mistake. Also questioning the need for a gate after the cab block (just use the gate on the input), its a digital signal path, not much noise post amp.

I think it was a mistake. Also questioning the need for a gate after the cab block (just use the gate on the input), its a digital signal path, not much noise post amp.
I'm not certain it was a mistake. I think he is using it to control sustain. Going from memory here, but I think he uses the same Gate channel for the Clean Boost scene and the Solo scene. The sound chokes out on Clean Boost scene, but the Solo scene works well (at least for me).

If it's giving anyone problems, just swap channels, tweak the threshold, or bypass altogether. I noticed there was about a 60 db difference in the threshold levels between the channels, so that's probably the cause. Most annoying for me was that the Clean Boost scene wouldn't pickup any notes played on my high E string unless I really dug in and then they sounded chopped off because of no sustain.

I'm not certain it was a mistake. I think he is using it to control sustain. Going from memory here, but I think he uses the same Gate channel for the Clean Boost scene and the Solo scene. The sound chokes out on Clean Boost scene, but the Solo scene works well (at least for me).

If it's giving anyone problems, just swap channels, tweak the threshold, or bypass altogether. I noticed there was about a 60 db difference in the threshold levels between the channels, so that's probably the cause. Most annoying for me was that the Clean Boost scene wouldn't pickup any notes played on my high E string unless I really dug in and then they sounded chopped off because of no sustain.
Thats only because Solo scene has more output, punches though the gate
The remarkable thing about presets is that you can adjust and then STORE them ;-)
True, but that's straying from the artist's vision, especially if it potentially contains behavior that wasn't intended when the patch was migrated. I used Channel B of the Gate across all the scenes (more reasonable threshold).

Would to hear from Tim, but I don't think he's on the forum.

Thats only because Solo scene has more output, punches though the gate

True, but that's straying from the artist's vision, especially if it potentially contains behavior that wasn't intended when the patch was migrated. I used Channel B of the Gate across all the scenes (more reasonable threshold).

Would to hear from Tim, but I don't think he's on the forum.
Yes, I understand I can boost the Clean Boost more to "punch" through the gate, but I'll probably just change the threshold. I do like the way that channel behaves with the solo scene, so I agree it would be great to hear from Tim b/c it is a little confounding.

Back
Top Bottom