Gift of Tone #22 - JOHN PETRUCCI

@TSJMajesty also you know that jp don’t use the JP2c of the unit. So if you try to mimic his amp tone, don’t copy the settings as it is in his amp, even more with the EQ part that is 3 times more powerful in the axe. I just say that for him and for those that use his preset . Personally I like my own DT preset. Just giving some tips as I’m a long time “fan”

Hey @Cooper Carter! I noticed the preset uses two Delay blocks, but each has only two Channels in use and only one of them in use in any given scene. Are there cases where JP uses both blocks at the same time? Or there is another reason to keep both? Thank you! I'm that child again playing lines from "Scenes from the Memory" again and again with the preset :)

Hey @Cooper Carter! I noticed the preset uses two Delay blocks, but each has only two Channels in use and only one of them in use in any given scene. Are there cases where JP uses both blocks at the same time? Or there is another reason to keep both? Thank you! I'm that child again playing lines from "Scenes from the Memory" again and again with the preset :)
there was discussion about this the other day about spillover if the delays are drastically different , just like using 2 amp blocks , you can use 2 delay block in the same manner with mutes , so it does not have a pop or a loud tail , perhaps that is what he is doing to get the delays as seamless as possible

I use this preset at some point in virtually every playing session. It wasn't until today, however, that I noticed an Input 3 chain with a compressor on it. I went back and watched the @Cooper Carter demo video (those cleans are gorgeous), and he said he put it there for a Piezo and said to use a Y-cable if you have a Majesty, which I do. I toggle the Piezo on occasion, but for the most part neglect it. The splitting concept is new to me, so wondering if anyone here has tried it and liked it?

@walnutzz I don't have a majesty ( X and 15 ), but I sometimes split the mag and piezo inputs. Can get some really cool effects fading between the two. The cable I use is a Pro Co PARKER20 Magnetic/Piezo Guitar Y-Cable from Sweetwater.

@walnutzz I don't have a majesty ( X and 15 ), but I sometimes split the mag and piezo inputs. Can get some really cool effects fading between the two. The cable I use is a Pro Co PARKER20 Magnetic/Piezo Guitar Y-Cable from Sweetwater.
Thanks for the reply. Is there any issue switching to a single output guitar when using this cable, or do you need to set a separate cable and input for that?

the original sliders are much less powerful in adding or decreasing frequency. Some people including me asked for a accurate mark type 5 bands eq already but if I remember fractal wasn’t interested to do that . The sure things is that you cannot simply copy the sliders as they are in the amp in the axe, the frequency amplitude or db, whatever you call that, is way more important in the axe . A huge V curve in a mark is a small V in the axe.

Dude, why the negativity? (Fractal wasn’t interested..). Maybe the haven’t gotten round to it, maybe you are wrong, etc.

Dude, why the negativity? (Fractal wasn’t interested..). Maybe the haven’t gotten round to it, maybe you are wrong, etc.
Plus this all feeds into what @FractalAudio asserts when discussing how to handle components that have large tolerances. I’m paraphrasing from memory and from different parts of the Wiki. Basically components like potentiometers (the EQ slider can be included) especially in older amps can have a tolerance of + or - of 20%. That’s a possible 40% difference from one to the other. It’s just not practical to match their non linearity from one amp to another. Within a system like Fractal modeling keeping these things linear is best. Otherwise, it would be a mess going from one amp to another. I know I don’t own all the amps available to try or want to match exact knob position or in this case slider positions.

Mesa did a good job keeping all the different Mark series EQ sliders reasonably exact. Party because the inherent slider design is able to be produced more consistently. However, I’m pretty sure Fractal and @FractalAudio have no desire to go down the road when it comes to matching these type settings on amps. Also, the answer is what was mentioned. Set the slider where it sounds like the tone you want. Forget about matching JP’s settings from the stage.

I should add IME the parameters that aren’t exact actually give more range to work with instead of less. Like the “bright cap” value settings yet default to what is expected or sounds “good”. This is the thing that is so great about Fractal.

I ve noticed a very accurate eq in the delay block... Next to the low and hi pass settings due to taste i suppose, is there any specific rule for the other settings? In general for eqing delays? Thanks

No, they're used independently. No reason you couldn't turn both on, though!

there was discussion about this the other day about spillover if the delays are drastically different , just like using 2 amp blocks , you can use 2 delay block in the same manner with mutes , so it does not have a pop or a loud tail , perhaps that is what he is doing to get the delays as seamless as possible

correct. They're optimized so that the most commonly used delay hand-offs are between delay blocks, not channels, for best spillover.

Back
Top Bottom