Gift of Tone #22 - JOHN PETRUCCI

Attachments

• FAS-gift23-22b-Petrucci-Rig-Factory-Preset-Replacements-221223.zip
    19.1 KB · Views: 102
Hey! @Cooper Carter . retrying your jp patch, now i know why it don’t sound like his tone since the beginning and even now :
You have copied to the 5 bands eq, his exact 5 band eq amp settings (also the one he shared in the JP2c manual, now it has changed) but … the 5 band eq of the axe don’t match the real JP2c at all. So yeah the tone is over scooped over trebly etc etc 😅🎉

Have a nice day/night !

Last edited:
Hey! @Cooper Carter . retrying your jp patch, now i know why it don’t sound like his tone since the beginning and even now :
You have copied to the 5 bands eq, his exact 5 band eq amp settings (also the one he shared in the JP2c manual, now it has changed) but … the 5 band eq of the axe don’t match the real JP2c at all. So yeah the tone is over scooped over trebly etc etc 😅🎉

Have a nice day/night !
I’m confused, are the frequencies different?

I’m confused, are the frequencies different?
the original sliders are much less powerful in adding or decreasing frequency. Some people including me asked for a accurate mark type 5 bands eq already but if I remember fractal wasn’t interested to do that . The sure things is that you cannot simply copy the sliders as they are in the amp in the axe, the frequency amplitude or db, whatever you call that, is way more important in the axe . A huge V curve in a mark is a small V in the axe.

Last edited:
the original sliders are much less powerful in adding or decreasing frequency. Some people including me asked for a accurate mark type 5 bands eq already but if I remember fractal wasn’t interested to do that . The sure things is that you cannot simply copy the sliders as they are in the amp in the axe, the frequency amplitude or db, whatever you call that, is way more important in the axe . A huge V curve in a mark is a small V in the axe.
Great info. Confirms what my ears were telling me. What settings are you using?

I have one without the 5 bands and one with a mini V if I remember. I also suspect that the jp in the axe, is modeled with a V curve in the amp already turned on. because when you turn off the Sliders EQ in the amp, it don’t sound like that, that’s a total different amp and not metal at all. In the axe it is already cooked when you play with the shred ones for example . Well … better using your ears for sure

Better than words : (video is private)
it can help seeing how the real one work. Difference between eq on and off and sliders course . In the end the « petrucci setting » is just the sweet spot for each sliders . Even if you don’t know petrucci, you set the amp like that

and this one is the preset I’ve made . And it confirm a little bit that the one in the axe don’t have the eq disabled. Here, in this preset, I don’t use the 5 band eq at all, and it sound like the eq on on the real amp with the V setting

Last edited:
and this one is the preset I’ve made . And it confirm a little bit that the one in the axe don’t have the eq disabled. Here, in this preset, I don’t use the 5 band eq at all, and it sound like the eq on on the real amp with the V setting

Is it possible that when they modeled the amp, the 5 band was accidentally enabled by default?

Last edited:

Have a nice day/night !
Cooper has said in a recent video that he overhauled the preset to reflect his current settings in his rig, so maybe that's why. And since DT's next tour leg hasn't yet started, the settings "reflecting his current rig" would mean from his live solo tour, which may be a bit different from how they are in the full band.
He further said these are the same settings that will probably be used in the DT rig, which further seems to confirm they were taken from his solo tour rig. So if it seems brighter, that may be because that's simply the way he had his rig set up recently.

Last edited:
Cooper has said in a recent video that he overhauled the preset to reflect his current settings in his rig, so maybe that's why.
Dont know, I’ve tried his latest version of the preset (2 weeks old?) just by curiosity, as I already tried the old one a long time ago, and then I see this setting that explain why the tone is out (Even if they are other parameters and cab combinaison that make sound the jp better, but this is another story 😅). Cliff have said 176 times the “use your ears not eyes” and here it has been said several times that the mark 5 band eq is not accurate. So strange that someone close to fractal and JP does this error 🤷

Back
Top Bottom