Gift of Tone - 2022 FINAL - DWEEZIL ZAPPA!

What are the differences between the III and FM3/FM9 versions of the preset? It said “compromises were made.”
FM3 users get a preset of Eddie's very first rig--which means you have to rest the guitar against a table or other piece of wooden furniture for amplification.

Totally kidding, of course. I'm sure the FM3 version is close. I just couldn't resist the punchline.

FM9: One fewer IR, one fewer delay block.
FM3: Same as above, and also minus one amp block and one cab block.

I'm on the FM3. I often attempt to load presets from the Axe so I can get copies of the amp blocks etc. I loaded the FM9 into my FM3, and it deleted the 2nd amp block. It appears it loaded the same one that comes with the FM3 preset. What's the difference between the 2 amp blocks? If anyone wants to post the other block (since it's gifted and out there already) I am interested. The other IR's I can import. Speaking of which, when running through the bundle import dialogue, there doesn't seem to be a way to skip files. Am I missing something or or does a skip function need to be added to the wishlist?

Speaking of which, when running through the bundle import dialogue, there doesn't seem to be a way to skip files. Am I missing something or or does a skip function need to be added to the wishlist?
You are correct about the above and it is already on my list of things to discuss with our programmer when the holiday vacation ends.

volcano GIF

What a way to end the series, again thanks to everyone involved

Thank you for this great GoT series! When I bought my FM3 and entered the digital world, I had no idea of the user experience that would come with my purchase. A helpful forum community, educational YouTube videos, preset sharing, and now this stunning Gift of Tones series! I am totally blown away! Thanks to FAS and everyone involved!!!

I'm glad I was able to benefit from the GOT series. I leaned some new things and had a very good time. Thanks to everyone involved!

Wow is this preset ever rude sounding.

And I mean that in the best way. At first play, I was a little shocked because it's so crispy. But when you listen to the track on the album the tone and ambience are bang on. (Axe III)

Unsurprisingly, Dweezil has got a great ear.

Wow is this preset ever rude sounding.
Yeah, it's seriously accurate....but my hands aren't up to taming it.

We were spoiled with three great Gift of Tone takes on Eddie's sound. Leon Todd's 'Brown' preset, AustinBuddy's comprehensive 'EVH Live' preset, and this one.

My poor playing skills actually sound best copping Eddie's licks through Leon's preset. I think I might have to combine it with the effects from the other two for my comprehensive EVH setup.

Last edited:
Dweezil nailed the FEEL of the EVH Brown amp and how it responds to a great player’s touch (and pick scrapes!).

I told him “playing this amp/preset is like riding a pissed off Tiger, -- which Ed could tame easily with his fabulous technique (as Dweezil can!) - but some us lesser mortals will have trouble riding this Tiger, and will fall off regularly.” 😂

Last edited:
Are these posted somewhere? And what’s the EP-3 preamp? Thanks

Back in the day it was said that Ed used an EP-3 Echoplex in front of his amp ..., but he only used the echo occasionally. What he liked was the "secret sauce" that the preamp section of the Echoplex added to his sound.

Search up EP-3 or Echoplex and I think you'll find them .... It's ( 2 ) PEQ blocks in series ( so you need spaces for at least two blocks ).

Dweezil nailed the FEEL of the EVH Brown amp and how it responds to a great player’s touch (and pick scrapes!).

I told him “playing this amp/preset is like riding a pissed off Tiger, which Ed could tame easily with his fabulous technique (as Dweezil can!)- but some us lesser mortals will have trouble riding this Tiger, and will fall off regularly.” 😂

I recall reading a Billy Corgan interview where he had the opportunity to plug into Eddie’s rig and he couldn’t really tame it, because it was right on the edge of losing it.

Eruption tuning is apparently a little sharper (418.3 Hz) than a half step down (415.3 Hz). From vhlinks.com:
1st string: Eb +12.7 ct
2nd string: Bb +12.9 ct
3rd string: F# +14.6 ct
4th string: C# +15.0 ct
5th string: Ab +15.0 ct
6th string: Eb +12.7 ct

"Ice Cream Man (electric guitars). This is the same tuning that is used on Eruption and the main distorted electric guitar on Women In Love...this is a tuning that Eddie returned to often."

Perhaps adding a Pitch block is close enough with Type = Virtual Capo, Shift = -1, Detune = 12.7 ct.

To do it right, use Fractal's tuner, set Use Offsets = On, page to Offsets then adjust each offset as indicated above. Tune to the notes indicated above or set Downtune = 1 semitone for the tuner to show standard notes while tuning.

Still wishing for a tuner block to save such settings directly in scenes... and the ability to play such songs.

Thanks for the tone.

Insane preset.. feels so good.

How the frig do I get all of my other presets to feel equally as good? :tearsofjoy:
Seriously.. pick scrapes are SOOOO responsive in this preset!

Damn. Hate to be the guy. But i was biting my nails when he was about to reveal what the preset was gonna be an i was like. Please Ship Ahoy, Please be Ship Ahoy. Now it could have been any FZ tone honestly and i would have been all about it. But i mean, the tones Frank got in tha song are insane and would have been unbelievable to have in a tiny box. No hate but there are a million EVH tones and honestly i could pick any one and ...whatever. The default one in the box is fine. Actually pretty good. Love the Dweeze, but feels like a lost opportunity :(

Back
Top Bottom