Gift of Tone - 2022 FINAL - DWEEZIL ZAPPA!

Damn. Hate to be the guy. But i was biting my nails when he was about to reveal what the preset was gonna be an i was like. Please Ship Ahoy, Please be Ship Ahoy. Now it could have been any FZ tone honestly and i would have been all about it. But i mean, the tones Frank got in tha song are insane and would have been unbelievable to have in a tiny box. No hate but there are a million EVH tones and honestly i could pick any one and ...whatever. The default one in the box is fine. Actually pretty good. Love the Dweeze, but feels like a lost opportunity :(
As a FZ guitar fanatic (I listened to the “Shut up and Play yer Guitar” trilogy over and over) I can understand what you’re saying, but this preset (at least for me) is not like any other EVH eruption preset I played.

It would. But I would guess that he probably doesn't feel like dealing with his siblings. From what little attention I've paid, they seem to jump all over anything "FZ" related Dweezil does.
Yes, it’s a darn shame what it has become. It seems mostly the mother (Gail) and what I perceive as misplaced motherly protection of the child (Ahmet) that didn’t quite get “the gift” that Dweezil obviously received. Moon doesn’t seem as concerned about it all. Another thing to consider is where ever there is large amounts of money and lawyers involved they will make sure to cause problems about every little thing.

Yes, it’s a darn shame what it has become. It seems mostly the mother (Gail) and what I perceive as misplaced motherly protection of the child (Ahmet) that didn’t quite get “the gift” that Dweezil obviously received. Moon doesn’t seem as concerned about it all. Another thing to consider is where ever there is large amounts of money and lawyers involved they will make sure to cause problems about every little thing.
Makes sense.

But we shouldn’t further derail this thread with speculation into his family affairs.

He was kind enough to share anything at all. He didn’t have to. For that, I’m appreciative.

Makes sense.

But we shouldn’t further derail this thread with speculation into his family affairs.

He was kind enough to share anything at all. He didn’t have to. For that, I’m appreciative.
Well as you said it’s pretty much public knowledge that Dweezil himself has made personal comments about at different times. There wasn’t much speculation. I have been nothing, but grateful. But yeah sure, it’s not really a subject that most care about and I doubt I would have ever thought about it in this specific context if it wasn’t already made a subject by others.

It’s not just this case, the Hendrix Family Trust has made a mess of things along with many others. It only serves to stifle output and the real losers are the fans. That’s why I don’t blame those artist selling all their publishing to wealthy media conglomerates so they can decide to divide things to whoever they feel like (or give it all away to charity) before they’re gone and their families can fight over it.

I have been following Dweezil for a long time with his EVH presets and sounds from other modelers and plugins and him sharing his evh sound is a pretty big deal!
I don’t know how many people are aware of that. Thank you Dweezil and Matt.

Last edited:
Damn. Hate to be the guy. But i was biting my nails when he was about to reveal what the preset was gonna be an i was like. Please Ship Ahoy, Please be Ship Ahoy. Now it could have been any FZ tone honestly and i would have been all about it. But i mean, the tones Frank got in tha song are insane and would have been unbelievable to have in a tiny box. No hate but there are a million EVH tones and honestly i could pick any one and ...whatever. The default one in the box is fine. Actually pretty good. Love the Dweeze, but feels like a lost opportunity :(

have you tried the factory preset version of ship ahoy?

Very nice chewy attack on the lower string with a strat on this one. What combination of things makes it happen? Perfection with strat or low output humbucker. I'd imagine a high output pickup would be too much.

Last edited:
Gail has passed away in 2015.

Hwaht? No. Damn, I did not even know about it. I've tried maybe a handful of presets. "Frankly" my comment was pretty much worthless since i've never found any preset anyone made to be plug and play. I do check them out for study and to learn what or why someone tried this or that. 90% of the time or more i just delete em. I try the factory Eruption patch and after changing some minor stuff it's pretty fun to rip around on though.

Thanks for the heads up though I'll definitely check it out 👍

Gail has passed away in 2015.
Thus, my comment about lawyers. It really makes no difference. Now that you mention it, I do remember knowing this and my condolences to all concerned. Between the last almost 3 years being a lost spiral into bizzarro world it's hard to spec time out properly. Thanks....

No prob, just wasn't sure if you knew. And yeah i and many know the feeling. :)
Can't imagine a better time for Carlin and Frank to still be alive. You never really know, but you would rightfully expect some of the best commentary on current society ever. :sunglasses:

Amazeballs. Thank you. Just makes even more in awe of Franks mastery and etiquette of using effects. I generally don't like effects and there's very few people that used them in a way that i found i liked. Frank the most. He seemed to retain the raw sound of a filthy amp cranked while using them. Hendrix, Gilmore, Vai of course, Satch, Belew. Jake E Lee actually. Probably not a coincidence that two are Zappa alumni.

But generally i'm an as direct to amp as possible guy. Even if i add delay or reverb to a lead tone it's very subtle, almost not there and just to widen it up a bit. I don't like thick chorus, or washy delays. At least when i play them. Sorta like when someone else cooks something and you eat it, it generally tastes better than if you cooked it for yourself. I tried the Vai GOT an i was instantly like nah. I thought i might like to use the delay blocks or something,but nah. But, you know, i'm not Vai. I mean I love Vai to death, i just have no desire to sound like him. I would say i liked his earlier stuff/Flexible, the Blue Powder Demo pre "Passion" tones better.

I'm ramblin, but yeah Zappa all the way. The guy was a pioneer like no other and totally under rated in electric guitar tones. Not least modding and recording and the way he used gear etc.

Yes, I agree some FZ presets would have been a Godsend, but until I was reminded of all the legal family BS against Dweezil in this thread, I had forgotten about it. Such a shame. I have seen FZ live many times from 1971 until the last tours he played in the United States. Frank was one of my guitar heroes and my first expensive guitar was a cherry Gibson SG in 1973. I could never get close to his sound or talent, but my cover band loved trying to emulate some of his music. I am grateful of Dweezil's attempt to keep sharing his father's music to the world. I believe his music will live forever as it is timeless.

I am having an issue with scene 2 where you use the expression pedal to do the "spaceship landing" part. As soon as I engage the expression pedal, I lose all my sound for almost 3-4 seconds. If I put the heel all the way back, the sound comes back, but as soon as I engage it again, it disappears. The odd thing is, sometimes it works (like every 10th time I try it).

I reloaded the preset to start from scratch. The first delay block is set to "External 1" on the Motor Speed. I have my EV-1 plugged into the FC-12 in the Pedal 1 spot. Under Setup --> MIDI/Remote -->External Control 1 I have it set to "FC 1 PEDAL 1". I also made sure to calibrate the pedal. I am on FW 22.01. I'm not sure what is causing this drop-out. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom