Gift of Tone #15 - PHIL COLLEN of DEF LEPPARD

So, I'm off to Sheffield tomorrow for the first of the UK stadium shows, at Bramall Lane, really looking forward to this.
As someone who has always been interested in the bands guitar tones over the years, I'm particularly looking forward to hearing Phil's fractal tone at this show to see how it ranks with previous era's.

There are some clips up of the club gig at the Leadmill from Friday and I thought the band sounded great there!

watching those videos now. just wondering...what speakers are those behind phil?

always been a dream of mine to be hanging at a bar and have one of your most favorite bands take the stage unannounced and tear the place down.

watching those videos now. just wondering...what speakers are those behind phil?

always been a dream of mine to be hanging at a bar and have one of your most favorite bands take the stage unannounced and tear the place down.
That will happen hopefully tomorrow night, except it will be in a stadium and it won't be unannounced haha but hopefully it will be good!

They sounded fantastic on Friday, second time I've seen them with the Fractals and some great tones, Phil's PC Supreme had a great growl when he was digging in

I took a picture of Jon at the end of the night, I wasn't stalking! Just amused that the guy who got me into guitar playing, Phil Collen, is using a strat style guitar into.a Fractal through Atomic CLRs like me!!!

Just getting ready to leave for Sheffield to catch the Bramall Lane show

Attachments

• DSC_0651.JPG
    DSC_0651.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0649.JPG
    DSC_0649.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 56

Atomic CLRs for his monitoring, possibly a cab with Sacs bass and maybe something for drums the bigger cabs either side of Rick Allen

That will happen hopefully tomorrow night, except it will be in a stadium and it won't be unannounced haha but hopefully it will be good!

So what did you think of the show, for me it was easily one of the best gigs I've seen them do, song choice, sounds, production, performance, just spectacular

So what did you think of the show, for me it was easily one of the best gigs I've seen them do, song choice, sounds, production, performance, just spectacular
I hate to admit it but I'm at the stage now of being probably like you, a fan of this band for so long now, that I'm looking out for any noticeable diminishing capability, or going through the motions, and I saw no signs of that whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite, the band were as good as I've ever seen them, and Joe's vocals were spot on, so that frozen vocal chord problem from a few years back is well and truly gone.

Where in the stadium were you? I was right at the front on Phil's side, so we got a great view, but the low end and kick drum for motley crue, was brutal, I felt like I had been assaulted after that haha. Several people were commenting on how much better Leppard were, you could hear Joe very clearly, Vince was not quite as good.

All in all it was a superb show, top performance as you expect from Leppard. I'm trying to decide what my favourite era of guitar tones are from them so I pay particular attention to the Axe III sounds they're using now and to be honest it's very similar to their pre fractal era so that is a testament to fractal. The beauty of the Axe III of course is that they could probably re create any era sound they wanted to with that.

On a side note, I also visited Steve's grave while I was up there, something I had always wanted to do at some point. A solemn moment of course. That was a nice touch his mum and brother coming to the show, and Joe mentioning it to us all.

Back
Top Bottom