Gift of Tone #13 - SYNYSTER GATES

A/B to my main preset was illuminating. I do some stuff to get a lot of high mids, and low highs in my tone, but this preset really is extreme. I was able to tweak some things and my main preset is even more ridiculous now 🤘

I do some stuff to get a lot of high mids, and low highs in my tone, but this preset really is extreme.
I'm pretty sure this preset neutered my eardrums. His guitars must sound very different than mine. I'm guessing it probably cuts through a mix really well. I appreciate it being shared though, and certainly not complaining. :cool:

I'm pretty sure this preset neutered my eardrums. His guitars must sound very different than mine. I'm guessing it probably cuts through a mix really well. I appreciate it being shared though, and certainly not complaining. :cool:
He probably has a beefy sounding bridge pickup to offset the harshness you’re hearing. And yeah I bet it cuts through a live mix.

Yeah its definately tuned for the mix, which means you can really learn from it. I always build my tones for a band situation, never to sound good all by itself, so not a new thing to my ears. I use some Syn isolated tracks when building my tones as well. I was able to meet my preset about 1/3rd of the way to his, and I really think it opened it up a little more.

Yeah its definately tuned for the mix, which means you can really learn from it. I always build my tones for a band situation, never to sound good all by itself, so not a new thing to my ears. I use some Syn isolated tracks when building my tones as well. I was able to meet my preset about 1/3rd of the way to his, and I really think it opened it up a little more.
I mean for playing around at home without a band mix you could adjust this preset to cut some top end and add back some low end to fill out the sound.

I finally got around to finishing the demo video for this preset

thanks again for this preset and pardon the playing I haven't played these avenged sevenfold riffs and solos in months!

Sounds great! Did you modify any of the presets to get the solo tones for So Far Away and others? Also, is this preset just the two different scenes or am I missing something? Looks like the drive block isn’t used?

Sounds great! Did you modify any of the presets to get the solo tones for So Far Away and others? Also, is this preset just the two different scenes or am I missing something? Looks like the drive block isn’t used?
There were no names to the scenes so I used scene 1 only

I disabled the drive and enhancer block during all the riffs and solos played, I just wanted that amp+cab+reverb tone (that rat distortion is IMO, the one making that “ear neutering” and “mix cutting” tone, To parapharse the people here… so I didn’t use it since it’s a guitar only demo)

I did use the chorus block for the stage intro, alas only for a little bit

Delays were turned on for solo parts.

I only changed the tempo so the delay would sync up to the bpm of the song,

I never touched parameters in any of the blocks, only turning it on/off.

There were no names to the scenes so I used scene 1 only

I disabled the drive and enhancer block during all the riffs and solos played, I just wanted that amp+cab+reverb tone (that rat distortion is IMO, the one making that “ear neutering” and “mix cutting” tone, To parapharse the people here… so I didn’t use it since it’s a guitar only demo)

I did use the chorus block for the stage intro, alas only for a little bit

Delays were turned on for solo parts.

I only changed the tempo so the delay would sync up to the bpm of the song,

I never touched parameters in any of the blocks, only turning it on/off.
Awesome! Thanks. Never thought to change the tempo of the delay to sync up to the song.

I mean for playing around at home without a band mix you could adjust this preset to cut some top end and add back some low end to fill out the sound.
Sure. If Im just playing solo I play to backing tracks, or the song itself, so a good "for the mix" guitar tone is how all my presets are built. I dont ever build a preset for a guitar solo'd. Others do though based on what I hear at the local clubs 🤷‍♂️😅

I actually had some fun w/ Scene 2, no adjustments to the preset. I was using a 335 on the neck with tone all the way down. I do agree it seems this is made for a mix.

I hope we get more info later on as he doesn't divulge much info, but in the band's podcast where they discuss their songs, Syn mentions how important Fractal is to their new songs and sounds:

If you haven't heard their new song to know what he's referring to, here is the link below. The drone-y sounds are actually guitars.

I hope we get more info later on as he doesn't divulge much info, but in the band's podcast where they discuss their songs, Syn mentions how important Fractal is to their new songs and sounds:

If you haven't heard their new song to know what he's referring to, here is the link below. The drone-y sounds are actually guitars.

The synth block I believe, but might also be the pitch block. You can do some pretty fun stuff with those.

If anyone can figure out how to replicate that low synth / drone tone, post it!!
It’s the synth block for sure, blended with his 7-string. Guitar plays the low octave, Synth block plays a saw wave with the next octave and slightly detuned for some seperation, then another saw wave in an even higher octave slightly detuned for some seperation. The 3rd synth is playing white noise to give it some fullness. Then the enhancer block if you want the Album's double-tracked sterio effect, and some reverb which is standard on this type of synth.

You can learn a lot of cool tricks by looking up some "How to make EDM" videos on YouTube. The Synth block is amazing, especially when you mix it with modifiers attached to the controler envilopes.

Here is a preset I threw together for the FM9. Scene 1 is an ideal studio version totally of my own making, and Scene 2 is a possible live version based on the gift-of-tone live preset:

Attachments

• Nobody Synth - A7X.fasBundle
    31.9 KB · Views: 9
It’s the synth block for sure, blended with his 7-string. Guitar plays the low octave, Synth block plays a saw wave with the next octave and slightly detuned for some seperation, then another saw wave in an even higher octave slightly detuned for some seperation. The 3rd synth is playing white noise to give it some fullness. Then the enhancer block if you want the Album's double-tracked sterio effect, and some reverb which is standard on this type of synth.

You can learn a lot of cool tricks by looking up some "How to make EDM" videos on YouTube. The Synth block is amazing, especially when you mix it with modifiers attached to the controler envilopes.

Here is a preset I threw together for the FM9. Scene 1 is an ideal studio version totally of my own making, and Scene 2 is a possible live version based on the gift-of-tone live preset:
Interesting hear about the guitar effects with Fractal from:

Around the 50 minute mark, M says the Mattel solo live is a combo of: synth + harmonizer + autotune + expression pedal to help control it. I'm guessing those are all blocks in the Fractal. I guess we'll have to wait and see with that rig rundown.

Back
Top Bottom