Gift of Tone #12 - JUSTIN YORK

HELL YEAH!!! This is sounding great. Going to fire it up at this Saturday's gig.
Here is a short video of this @York Audio preset on scene 3 and 4 (I did rearrange the order of scenes). These scenes work perfect for songs like The Boys Are Back In Town, Fortune Son, Fool For Your Lovin', Heading Out To The Highway, and more.

3 = Rhythm JCM 2000
4 = Lead JCM 2000

The AC30 and Tweed sounded great as well for songs like Simple Man, Can't You See, 1 2 Many.

Sound check before gig at Gate 2 Garage in Okinawa, Japan. Sounding big and bad. FOH and a little stage volume through 2x12 using a ISP Stealth Ultra-Lite power amp.

Last edited:
It’s kinda in the ballpark of a 2000, but the 2000 has a little deeper low end, way less gain at that setting, and has a little more “muscle” to it. The Nitro was the closest model I could find to my 2000. I’m sure I could get it closer if I messed with the advanced parameters, but I thought it sounded pretty good without touching that stuff.
It sounded, felt, and performed amazingly. Lots of definition in the mix without any FOH tweaking. It is a keeper.

Thank you.

Here is a short video of this @York Audio preset on scene 3 and 4 (I did rearrange the order of scenes). These scenes work perfect for songs like The Boys Are Back In Town, Fortune Son, Fool For Your Lovin', Heading Out To The Highway, and more.

3 = Rhythm JCM 2000
4 = Lead JCM 2000

The AC30 and Tweed sounded great as well for songs like Simple Man, Can't You See, 1 2 Many.

Sound check before gig at Gate 2 Garage in Okinawa, Japan. Sounding big and bad. FOH and a little stage volume through 2x12 using a ISP Stealth Ultra-Lite power amp.

Man, I love that Greenback character when you start playing in the higher register. Thanks for sharing, and I’m glad it worked well in the mix for you!

I’m really enjoying this IR. It is well balanced and sits great in a mix.
Thanks! I’m starting to get requests for a full pack of this cab/speaker combo. I’m just glad it’s resonating with people.

The AC30 and Tweed sound great. And, sacrilege, I know, but I even played it through my powerstage and Friedman 2x12 w v30s and thought it sounded glorious. Thanks, Justin!
Did you bypass the IR going into the real cab? I bet that sounded great. I need to try one of those powerstage amps sometime.

DO IT!!!
THE WORLD NEEDS THIS!!!

Out of curiosity, how would you go about designing such a thing?
I’d want to try making 1x12 and 2x12 options. The key is to construct the cabinet in a way that minimizes internal resonance so what you put into it comes out with more accuracy and isn’t altered by the cabinet itself. The first prototypes would probably be made of MDF since it’s stiff and doesn’t resonate a lot and line it with an healthy amount of internal insulation kinda like a high end studio monitor or PA cabinet. After that, it’s about finding the right driver with a neutral response.

This would be amazing if you did
The industry really does not seem to have enough options for small
Powered FRFR At the moment IMO
It probably wouldn’t be powered since that would drive up the cost considerably. I’ve got a few power amps to try with it to see how different they all sound and probably need to buy some cheaper “consumer grade” options as well for the testing. The amps I use are on the pricier side, so I’d want to make something that also works well with more cost-effective units. Who knows? That could change, and I just thought about a potential partnership while writing this.

I’d want to try making 1x12 and 2x12 options. The key is to construct the cabinet in a way that minimizes internal resonance so what you put into it comes out with more accuracy and isn’t altered by the cabinet itself. The first prototypes would probably be made of MDF since it’s stiff and doesn’t resonate a lot and line it with an healthy amount of internal insulation kinda like a high end studio monitor or PA cabinet. After that, it’s about finding the right driver with a neutral response.

It probably wouldn’t be powered since that would drive up the cost considerably. I’ve got a few power amps to try with it to see how different they all sound and probably need to buy some cheaper “consumer grade” options as well for the testing. The amps I use are on the pricier side, so I’d want to make something that also works well with more cost-effective units. Who knows? That could change, and I just thought about a potential partnership while writing this.
A powered option would be great IMO. Understood if you don't want to push that on everyone who's interested, but it's super handy

This gift is amazing @York Audio I wish you had some recto scenes as well!

(PS if you make any packs I will buy. I'll preorder now! I own - I believe all - of your IRs and they are my go to's)

Last edited by a moderator:
This gift is amazing @York Audio I wish you had some recto scenes as well!

(PS if you make any packs I will buy. I'll preorder now! I own - I believe all - of your IRs and they are my go to's)
I’m glad you’re liking the preset and cab! For Dual Rec tones, I normally go with the Recto 1 Red model and start with Bass 5, Mid 7, Treble 5, Presence 5, MV 2, and Gain 5.5 and tweak from there. Try it with the 4x12 Recto Large Impedance Curve and dial it in from there. I normally don’t boost high gain amps, but I would try either the TS9 if you want to tighten the low end a lot or the LED Preamp if you want a great neutral boost (you can cut lows in that block if you want it tighter without adding the honk of a Tube Screamer).

Man, I used this Thursday night at rehearsal and it slayed! It is definitely my fave JCM800 based
preset apart from my own homebaked version. So good! So good!

Thanks for the share, Justin! :)

Just wanted to say again how good this IR is. I’ve been using it quite a bit. Very nice live with in ears. Thanks, Justin!

Back
Top Bottom