Gibson wins lawsuit against Dean over Explorer body shape

I wish Gibson would just shut their doors at this point. Crappy over priced lawyer guitars for people who have no idea how to think for themselves. The last time they were innovative, we were faking moon landings and colored people couldn't vote.

Last edited:
If Dean lost then they cover lawyer fees. That’s worth quite a bit I’m sure. But $4k seems like an insult anyway you look at it.

Awarded $4,000 of the $7,000,000 they were seeking...

That's some win!
I didn't see any statement from the court or whoever made the ruling about the rationale behind that comparatively tiny award. I wonder if they ragged on Gibson officially.

I believe I read (maybe in that article) that it was due to the fact that Gibson waited 40 years to complain about it.
Very likely.

Consistently defending against intellectual property or copyright infringements is important to the court otherwise they’ll look at it as either being selective, which is being prejudiced, or lackadaisical, which is telling the court that Gibson didn’t really care enough.

In other words, you sue ‘em all and you do it as soon as you find out. Gibson failed to do both, many times, over the years, so the courts are probably tired of them. Besides the judge staring at Gibson’s lawyers and executives and telling them what the court thinks about repeatedly failing to do that, the court can also reduce the asked-for award to make the rebuke sting even more. I’m thinking they had a rather stern and pointed message thrown at them by that and they walked away with their tails between their legs.

I think it’s pretty funny; Gibson has been down this path too many times yet they tried it again. Maybe they figured it was a quick way to get a cash infusion. 🤷‍♂️

I think the fact that Dean had to pay something in spite of Gibson’s failure to make a timely response was because the court doesn’t want those who engage in infringement to think that the courts don’t care. They do, very much, they just wanted Gibson to do a much better job of respecting how the system works so Gibson got penalized.

That’s what makes sense to me. In a previous life I had an Intellectual Properties lawyer help set up a company for me, and he carefully explained how those things are really important. “You will immediately tell me if someone infringes, right Greg?” “Yessir.”

Last edited:
Uhh unless I'm missing something, this is a big deal. Which is that body's ARE NOT able to be copied? I thought it was ruled that they could and it was the headstock that was the issue?

Uhh unless I'm missing something, this is a big deal. Which is that body's ARE NOT able to be copied? I thought it was ruled that they could and it was the headstock that was the issue?
I wondered about that too.

It's not like that's the only body shape that Gibson started (afaik), which are now made by a ton of other companies.

They maintain trademarks for: SG, Flying V, Explorer, and ES body types. They maintain the headstock trademark and the trademark for the Hummingbird acoustic guitar. This is for the US only, so all bets are off internationally.

Wow... think I better buy that Silver Sky while I still can!
I think you're safe. Notably absent from the law suit were the LPs. I'm assuming the reason is b/c they've been copied for so long that Gibson has effectively forfeited any claim. That same reasoning would apply to Strats and Teles. I was surprised to see that the ES is protected. There are many VERY similar designs out there.

yeah - I really don't understand the shape thing and how you can claim a shape is yours. I'll go back to Paul Reed Smith's quote - I made a mini van, does that mean that no one else can make a minivan? or an SUV? or a car for that matter?
Regardless - it definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Gibson...

yeah - I really don't understand the shape thing and how you can claim a shape is yours. I'll go back to Paul Reed Smith's quote - I made a mini van, does that mean that no one else can make a minivan? or an SUV? or a car for that matter?
But an 'authentic' bad taste amirite? ;)

You can trademark a shape, but you have to file the paperwork. Once that trademark is granted, you have to consistently keep others from using that shape, mainly by taking people to court if they use your shape. That's what it takes to make a trademark on a shape stick legally in the US.

I listened to Paul Reed Smith hisself talk about this in the early 2000's. His company has a trademark on dragons on guitars (specifically on fretboards if I remember right). One thing he said he had to do every year at the NAMM show was go around to the booths and call trademark violations when he saw dragons on other companies' guitars. He didn't like it, but he had to do it to keep the trademark. Both Gibson and Fender failed to do this with their Les Paul and Stratocaster body shapes. Because they didn't have or enforce the trademark, other companies got away with copying them for decades, and now it's too late for them to try and claim trademark violations on those shapes.

Now what Fender did manage to get was a trademark on the Stratocaster headstock shape. That they can enforce, and if you look around, you won't find Strat-shaped headstocks on other manufacturers' guitars, even when the body is totally Strat-like. The Silver Sky is like this. Anybody would look at its body and say "that's a Strat" and it's true and it's legal because Fender didn't make that trademark stick. But the headstock is totally a different story because Fender did make that trademark stick. I know that Warmoth and Charvel can make necks with a Strat-shaped headstock on them because they've licensed that shape, i.e. they've paid money to Fender to be allowed to do it. If you look on the back, you'll probably see a printed message to that effect.

Wow... think I better buy that Silver Sky while I still can!

The Silver Sky isn't in any trademark danger. The body can be copied with impunity because so many companies did it for so long and Fender didn't sue them into oblivion. The Strat headstock is the trademarked part, and I don't think anyone would say the SS headstock looks like the Strat headstock...

Back
Top Bottom