Gibson...what is going on?

F Gibson, their QC is for sh*t, I'll never buy another one and my Dean "Explorer" completely smokes a Gibson "authentic" model explorer. I wish I had the ability to some how attach the way this guitar "feels" in these pictures. Such a top notch, high quality instrument.

Has Fender ever tried to sue any of the many companies that have copied Fender designs? There are countless strat and tele copies out there. Fender doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal.
I'm pretty sure the Stratocaster headstock design is fiercely protected. Don't know whether they had to sue though.

Has Fender ever tried to sue any of the many companies that have copied Fender designs? There are countless strat and tele copies out there. Fender doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal.

My first guitar was an Epiphone Stratocaster copy with the bat-wing type headstock and "By Gibson" proudly written on the truss rod cover, go figure... 🙃

I'm pretty sure the Stratocaster headstock design is fiercely protected. Don't know whether they had to sue though.
Absolutely it is. Charvel and Jackson who are both owned by Fender have to pay a licensing fee for each guitar they produce that uses the Strat headstock. But I don’t recall their “Director of Brand Destruction” ever publishing a web video to threaten other builders.

It all comes down to a fundamental difference in marketing strategies. Gibson has always been about selling fewer units at a higher price point (though doing so requires quality, which Gibson in my opinion forgot about long ago), where Fender is about selling more units at a more accessible price point. Gibson is very vulnerable to anyone who can take sales away from them because they are heavily based on margins over volume. The upscale guitar market is considerably smaller market than where much of Fenders line is aimed. Any boutique who can move several hundred Les Paul like guitars en lieue of Gibson hurts them badly.

I imagine the conversation with Fender is something along the lines of “you can’t do that without paying us”, followed by a lawsuit without fanfare should anyone decide to tell them to pound sand.

Last edited:
I've been Jonesin' for a single-cut LP style guitar for a while and almost bought a Gibson a couple weeks ago. This whole fiasco got me researching alternatives. So far I've found:
Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?

I've been Jonesin' for a single-cut LP style guitar for a while and almost bought a Gibson a couple weeks ago. This whole fiasco got me researching alternatives. So far I've found:
Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?
https://www.tuttleguitars.com/carve-top-standard
http://fibenare-guitars.org/webpage/frontend/web/index.php?r=product/index&category_id=1
http://hartung-guitars.com
This one is mine. Really cool take on the single cut LP style guitar.
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 6.51.13 PM.png

Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?

Check out dead and company at Wrigley Field on youtube....and check out the 594 Mayer is playing...then, imagine that in SC version... Quest over. Be sure and check for a shot of the back of the neck.....stunnning!

Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?

No other suggestion, but all the Collings guitars I've played have been pretty damn impressive; great guitars. I'd grab one in heartbeat.

Carl

Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?

Look at the Eastman SB59, under $2k and totally hand built, plus under 8 lbs and Lolar pickups. There are a few on the Guitar Center Used section

No other suggestion, but all the Collings guitars I've played have been pretty damn impressive; great guitars. I'd grab one in heartbeat.
And man, do they know how to fit a case.

Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?

The 594 I borrowed for Axe-Fest was great - much more of an old school LP vibe than my SC245.

Momose ML would be another suggestion, or a used Hamer Monaco if you can find one.

Of those mentioned, I've had the chance to play the Singlecut 594 and the City Limits. Both are amazingly well built guitars, but I didn't get the Les Paul thing from them. They're great guitars with a similar shape. I've gotten closer with the thick bodied variants of the LTD Eclipse (I have an EC-400VF and two Skolnick signatures) that I picked up used and cheap.

I ended up getting this:
qx97bdyxjbqgxs7cnx3f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom