Gibson...what is going on?

Well, imho Gibson's, among others are ridiculously expensive. Please don't give me the "you get what you pay for" argument. many years ago you could at least argue, "but quality control". Not so for a long time now.
You pay for the name, same as other brands.
I know the majority of folks here play HB guitars for the most part and look down on Strats and teles.
Yes, their are Fender type guitars made by some that are cheaper and as good or sometimes better.
But at least Fender has kept the prices "reachable" for mere mortals.
I wiilshed no tears for the high priced guitar makers. Just MHO, of course.

I think the greek should file Gibson for copyright infringement of the triangle, which was a genuine work of Pythagoras. Just kidding..

I've been Jonesin' for a single-cut LP style guitar for a while and almost bought a Gibson a couple weeks ago. This whole fiasco got me researching alternatives. So far I've found:
Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?

I've really been liking the new 594 Hollowbody, but I can't find one anywhere in the Philly area to try. All the demos online sound great.

I've really been liking the new 594 Hollowbody, but I can't find one anywhere in the Philly area to try. All the demos online sound great.

Same boat. I keep looking at various PRS models online (594, DGT, Special, Paul's Guitar), but I hate buying guitars that I can't try out first.

Same boat. I keep looking at various PRS models online (594, DGT, Special, Paul's Guitar), but I hate buying guitars that I can't try out first.

Does that really matter anymore? With CNC routing the difference between guitars of the same production model are minimal. If you pick up a Fender American Standard in one shop and then another are there still that big a differences? Maybe if you have Gibson levels of quality control, but if you're buying a guitar of a brand that is not called Gibson are the differences still that big?

Does that really matter anymore? With CNC routing the difference between guitars of the same production model are minimal. If you pick up a Fender American Standard in one shop and then another are there still that big a differences? Maybe if you have Gibson levels of quality control, but if you're buying a guitar of a brand that is not called Gibson are the differences still that big?
IMO, if it is a guitar model that you are familiar with there is less risk. Even within the same model, 3 different guitars could have different feels. Two pieces of alder can also vary in tone as can pickups, so even the tone of the instrument can vary.

If it is a guitar model you are not familiar with, combinations of scale length, # of frets, neck width, neck thickness, action, relief, etc all have an impact on the feel of the instrument. The tone is also a considerable unknown. Buying online you could get a guitar you do not gel with.

Most of my guitars were purchased because I played them in person and liked the feel and tone and bonded with them. I have bought two guitars online. One was a winner (an awesome Suhr from here on the forum), one was a loser (at least until a LOT of work was done on the instrument).

Last edited:
Reactions: ESW
You're right: guitars are much more consistent than they were years ago. It's less of a risk, but there are still differences. I can pull ten of the same model of the wall and only really gel with one or two. Sometimes none.

pharmd07 said:
Has Fender ever tried to sue any of the many companies that have copied Fender designs? There are countless strat and tele copies out there. Fender doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal.

YES they have.
Yes they did especially on the headstock; Even Leo Fender... had to mod it for example when he started G&L after Sony took over Fender.

Even if playability might be the same (big if), at that level of expense, you might find one top on a nice guitar that you like more than another. Even buying a "10 Top" isn't guaranteeing you anything special. The below pic is a violet burst I saw online recently, that's unlike most violet bursts PRS makes. I don't know the reason for the differences myself, but someone might like this vs another. When you're dropping thousands of dollars, I'd want to pick it out.

violet_burst.jpg

Even if playability might be the same (big if)
I haven't, in 20 years, found "if" to be applicable to PRS guitars. One of the things I love about PRS guitars is how ultra-consistent they are from one guitar to the next. If you tell me a PRS guitar has a standard carve neck or a wide-fat neck, I know exactly what I'm getting, how it's going to feel. Sound changes based on materials, pickups, but that neck feel and how it plays is going to be well-known to me.

And that purple burst...mmm....man, that is amazing. Some day....

Yep. The Made-in-USA label is effectively meaningless when it comes to guitars anymore. My Korean-Made LTD Eclipse sounds and plays better than my USA-Made LP, and the LP was like $100-$200 more.

My favorites will always be Japanese custom shop made ESP. I own 3 (bought one in Tokyo at one of the actual Custom Shops!) and they are just terrific guitars. That said, the LTDs from Korea are such a great value. They play great and they are actually crafted fairly well. I own a few because they are much cheaper ($3-5k vs $800) and I enjoy playing them.

I was sad to see that they are now making the LTDs in Indonesia. Nothing against Indonesia, but Korean guitar factories are getting pretty good at what the do.

My favorites will always be Japanese custom shop made ESP. I own 3 (bought one in Tokyo at one of the actual Custom Shops!) and they are just terrific guitars. That said, the LTDs from Korea are such a great value. They play great and they are actually crafted fairly well. I own a few because they are much cheaper ($3-5k vs $800) and I enjoy playing them.

I was sad to see that they are now making the LTDs in Indonesia. Nothing against Indonesia, but Korean guitar factories are getting pretty good at what the do.

My LTD might actually have been made in Indonesia. Either way, it plays and sounds great. Which is all that matters. I've window shopped some of the Japanese custom shop ESPs. And while they're gorgeous, I can't justify dropping 4-5x what I'd pay for a LTD. Plus, I'd be less inclined to even play one if I did get it because I'd be wary of leaving ANY kind of marks on it.

Last edited:
Just saw this guitar for sale. Apparently somebody at Gibson thought this vomit inducing guitar was a good idea.
Props to the person who made the pattern line up between the neck and the body and the pickups and the body though. If they applied that level of attention to detail to everything else they did they might not be so far down in the hole they're currently in. I probably say it too much, but it's in the details, especially around fit and finish, where companies like PRS and Suhr and Anderson are absolutely killing everyone else.

My LTD might actually have been made in Indonesia. Either way, it plays and sounds great. Which is all that matters. I've window shopped some of the Japanese custom shop ESPs. And while they're gorgeous, I can't justify dropping 4-5x what I'd pay for a LTD. Plus, I'd be less inclined to even play one if I did get it because I'd be wary of leaving ANY kind of marks on it.

Hahaha, I don't disagree. The ESP Custom Shop Mirage I got in Tokyo 2 years ago, I don't play a whole lot for the same reason. Bringing it back to the US under the plane was the most nerve-racking thing ever! It's the most beautiful Candy Apple Red and I would hate to chip/scratch it.

I do love my Korean LTDs though. I've seen mixed reviews for the Indonesia made. Sounds like you got a good one!

Just saw this guitar for sale. Apparently somebody at Gibson thought this vomit inducing guitar was a good idea.

View attachment 57224

That one is actually supercool because its vomit inducing.

Reminds me of this PC wallpaper that a former colleague of mine used to install as a default background for interns at this place I used to work. If you looked at it for too long the colors actually started to move.

Hahaha, I don't disagree. The ESP Custom Shop Mirage I got in Tokyo 2 years ago, I don't play a whole lot for the same reason. Bringing it back to the US under the plane was the most nerve-racking thing ever! It's the most beautiful Candy Apple Red and I would hate to chip/scratch it.

I do love my Korean LTDs though. I've seen mixed reviews for the Indonesia made. Sounds like you got a good one!

Didn't hurt that I had some upgrades made by Sweetwater before it even shipped to me. Had them replace the nut with Graphtech TUSQ. Also had them give it the plek treatment. Something I've always been skeptical of, but oh was it worth it. No dead spots anywhere on the neck, and notes just ring out practically forever if I want them to. Also, compared to my LP, I get next to no RF/EM interference.

Back
Top Bottom