Gibson w/ built-in OD... <sigh>

IDK the Clapton mid boost was popular for Fender and the EMG boost is also popular. Might not be has terrible as it seems at first blush :)

As an observer, I'm curious to see where this goes. Gibson (or any other brand) can do whatever, let the market decide.

Just when you think Gibson has hit rock bottom, Henry still has a few surprises up his....
...pickup cavity? :)

I think the next version will be a package deal. A Les Paul, plus an external OD circuit, in its own metal housing, with an input and output jack, some knobs that don't need a screwdriver, and a footswitch that you can use to bypass it or turn it off.

I have a copy of the first one and it is a delight. Sends me comfortably into clipping :D
Spooky ..... I literally just got myself a Luke 3 and have just discovered that the onboard boost is a slight problem with an analogue to digital input with previously 'set and forget' input levels ... I'm now down to 13.3% instrument input level!

Just when you think Gibson has hit rock bottom, Henry still has a few surprises up his....
Yeah and I though the robo-tuners they were shoving down everybody's throat a few years ago was the lowest.
But Again! !! Gibson proves me wrong..
How out of touch are they with there customer base?? It just makes me wonder.

The kicker is I am pretty much a Les Paul guy, and have been for 36 years now.

It just kills me when they do stuff like this.

John

That's a lot of coin for an LP and an overdrive built in. Anybody who desires that, get yourself a used Electra MPC Vulcan, get better build quality, more versatility, and save a lot of money.

...a, double S ?
They have 2 models Available for every guitar. T model ( traditional - nibs , normal neck width , normal tuners , normal everything. )
And the Henry model - otherwise known as the HP model ( a still employed employee who told Henry they'd call his messed up , wide neck , no nibs , robo- tuner piece of sh-t version of a Les Paul - HIGH PERFORMANCE )

What a shame......

Spooky ..... I literally just got myself a Luke 3 and have just discovered that the onboard boost is a slight problem with an analogue to digital input with previously 'set and forget' input levels ... I'm now down to 13.3% instrument input level!
Oh I know. That Fender has it's own bank.

I have owned many Gibsons over the years (Les Paul, ES335, Firebird, Explorer, Flying V, SG Custom). Still have the Les Paul Custom (1971 modded by the late great Sam Koontz). They used to be such great guitars. Used to be. Gibson used to be as American as mom, apple pie, and Fender. Use to be. Quality has been sacrificed on the alter of profit and gimmicks. Deep down I really want to like the current offerings from Gibson, but the quality is just not there. I now own a Heritage 555 and it is a great guitar. I also own a Heritage Sweet 16 (my only jazz box). The irony that they are made in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo is testimony to how much Henry has mismanaged Gibson. People are willing to pay way more for an old Gibby than they do for the new ones. Hopefully Gibson will survive long enough for a new management team to restore the company to their rightful place as one of America's best guitar manufacturers, but not likely with Henry at the helm.

Oddly enough , I bought a goldtop last year , a T model , and it is one of the finest Les Pauls I own. I tried to buy a new one 4 years before that , and the quality was sad. Maybe I just got lucky ?

With a growing market and a sinking number of guitar players (maybe that's a good point there are more guitar players than bands around ;))
Even Gibson has to try something new to find new customers. The problem might be that the typical Gibson customer isn't willing to spend money on something that wasn't around 60 or better 70 years ago. Guitarists in general are super conservative with many gibson and fender guys on top of that. ( I didn't like the robot guitars either but I can understand the idea behind them)
But why shoudn't they try to bring some new customers into their company? For everyone loving the old Les Paul models there are obviously enough around to buy, new or used.

Distortion in the guitar itself is usefull. 1. The components needed for a typical Ts808 are small enough to fit into the guitars. No problem there.
2. You can activate your distortion everywhere on stage! No more pedals lying around the stage or your house.

Fair enough.
Henry has a reputation for stupid decisions , combined with poor QC and mass production. It's amazing that the Gibson brand name , alone , has been able to keep the company afloat despite.
Get out your wallet.

@Stagepig
I see your points but I believe you are missing what is really getting most of us steamed.
QC big lack of it !!
You can put in robot tuners, onboard distortion but if there something not right about the guitar all the add on features mean nothing.

John

Back
Top Bottom