Gibson selling off their memphin TN factory

Everyone not having run a business of that size better be careful about his judgement. There are most likely a lot more factors in this game than just plain greed. Also, while bad management can cause a lot of economical damage it doesn't kill people so don't put it into the same category with terrorism.

Everyone not having run a business of that size better be careful about his judgement. There are most likely a lot more factors in this game than just plain greed. Also, while bad management can cause a lot of economical damage it doesn't kill people so don't put it into the same category with terrorism.

Gibsons problems aren't issues because of their size- typically- in big organizations you get groupthink and streamline things and take no risk-

Gibson is a toxic organization- (from what everyone that works there says) BUT- they're going all over the place- and doing weird things- like buying studio monitor companies and making Les Paul finish $2000 studio monitors- a reasonable large organization- or- a disciplined one- wouldn't do that- in the last 5 years (really 3 you could say) they've put out so many models, changed the line up, and complicated their SKU's/things they sell- SO MUCH- it's confusing, horrible, and setting themselves up for no money

2014- dozens of new different models and series, and doubling the price of most of them- not to mention around the same time adding the automatic tuners-

They're just trying to produce anything and everything they can think of that can command a $4000-6000 price tag-

I wish someone would right a book of guitar history- but do it CHRONICALLY- they do but not the way I imagine-
All the blue books and vintage guitar books, and info on guitars- has it all bunched together...

BUT very few look at it the way it was (i'm way to young to have seen any of it)

But Fender had 1 guitar, then came out with another guitar

GIBSON- made a LP goldtop, then stopped and make a burst- then stopped making those and made an SG to replace the LP

They did what they did well- and did it great

NOW- Gibson makes every guitar they've ever made- in every color in dozens of years/styles

BUT they've never once looked at the market- who buys them?why? what do the people buying guitars want?
they f that up- the biggest part... then f everything else up-

and are going out of business

and are going out of business

This is the one and ONLY one reason that I might break my "thou shalt not buy Gibson" rule . . . I'd like one in my collection before they go under. That Alex Lifeson signature is awfully sexy.

Of course for the price of TWO Suhr Modern Pros it should be mind boggling. I shouldn't need to buy drugs - picking it up should make me as talented as Allen Holdsworth, blast 20cc's of endorphins straight into my frontal lobe, and transport me to Hugh Hefner's harem back in 1975. Really.

Disconnector

Last edited:
This is the one and ONLY one reason that I might break my "thou shalt not buy Gibson" rule . . . I'd like one in my collection before they go under. That Alex Lifeson signature is awfully sexy.

Of course for the price of TWO Suhr Modern Pros it should be mind boggling. I shouldn't need to buy drugs - picking it up should make me as talented as Allen Holdsworth, blast 20cc's of endorphins straight into frontal lobe, and transport me to Hugh Hefner's harem back in 1975. Really.

Disconnector
Mmm,m..1975....Bebe Buell....Todd Rundgren s squeeze and Liv Tyler’s mom......

I will Prolly never buy another Gibson...(3 SGs ,1 59 LP.burst.)...unless someone has a nice 1948 L5.............

Disconnector

Save your money...
Will they go out of business YES

HOWEVER- there will NEVER be a time guitars with the name GIBSON on them are not made and produced- at least for the next 100 years

And in many instrument companies only the name exists anyway--
Fender today is not the same Gibson of the 50's
Charvel and Jackson same name- different companies
Dean- just a name
Ibanez- to me isn't even a guitar manufacture- they're a company that tell other factories to make guitars that say IBANEZ on them-
Cort and Sammick basically make 90% of the guitars out there anyway- Ibanez PRIZED guitar factory- is independent and makes stuff for everyone- and soon to be Honda and Acura wood interiors and no more guitars...

Anyway- Guitars that say GIBSON will always be made- whether they're bankrupt or broke- the brand/name/designs are too important- keep in mind- the biggest USA competitor of Gibson was Epiphone- and they bought them- and kept a few models

Coming soon... EVH Fender Gibson Les Paul Custom!

BUT- if people are buying Lifeson LP for $5000- whether gibson is in good shape or sold off for pennies on the dollar- someone in the USA is going to be making them- with licence or whatever- to do it-

While I agree that they are not the same, consider this. What is more evil, killing people for ideology, or ruining the lives of whole communities for a quick profit? And while the loss of life is always terrible, especially for the people directly involved, human beings seem more capable to overcome that then economic woe. We have suffered from many a terrorist attack in these past years, yet we seem to cope with them better then we have with the fallout of the 2008 banking crisis. Here in Europe many countries are still in the economic crapper because of that.

Reprehensible though they might be, I can at least respect the terrorist more then the manager. The former is at least willing to lay down his life for what he believes in. Detestable though his cause may be. The other is just out for a selfish quick buck.

int politicsMode = 1

@Muad'zin - It depends. The folks that were responsible for the Bhopal Disaster (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster) should have been hung by the neck until dead. Making overpriced guitars and destroying a good name doesn't remotely rise to that level dude. Don't let righteous fury blind you to degrees of error. That's one of the failings of the far left AND the far right.

int politicsMode = 0

Back to Gibson. It's tough to decide what to do. I have cash for a pretty wicked axe right now (about $5K) and I want to buy something that I will treasure forever. I don't own a single Gibson product (all PRS, Fender, or other brands so far) because I hate to get ripped off. But man oh man a Les Paul is a sexy beast - and a good one sounds AMAZING. Maybe an Anderson Bobcat is a better bet . . . and a used LP Standard :)

If only a Gibson had a value that was remotely commensurate with the price.

Disconnector

Last edited:
int politicsMode = 1

@Muad'zin - It depends. The folks that were responsible for the Bhopal Disaster (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster) should have been hung by the neck until dead. Making overpriced guitars and destroying a good name doesn't remotely rise to that level dude. Don't let righteous fury blind you to degrees of error here. That's one of the failings of the far left AND the far right.

int politicsMode = 0

Back to Gibson. It's tough to decide what to do. I have cash for a pretty wicked axe right now (about $5K) and I want to buy something that I will treasure forever. I don't own a single Gibson product (all PRS, Fender, or other brands so far) because I hate to get ripped off. But man oh man a Les Paul is a sexy beast - and a good one sounds AMAZING. Maybe an Anderson Bobcat is a better bet . . . and a used LP Standard :)

If only a Gibson had a value that was remotely commensurate with the price.

Disconnector
one should have at least one................Tom Anderson

one should have at least one................Tom Anderson

I'm looking at a Tom Anderson or another Suhr....IMO those companies are real builders of guitars. More affordable and much, much better then anything Gibson seems to put out for some time now. Too bad, Gibson has a long, storied history, but man, have they went off the rails for many years. Gibson hasn't been on my radar for decades now...

Best way to choose a guitar would be some blind tests; guess all of us would be surprised the axe we'll stuck with as our favourite.

Let me preface this by saying, I am by no means what anyone would consider rich. My wife and I work basic jobs, drive very average cars, and do well enough to get by comfortably..... Not rich by any means....

I own a few Gibsons, and have owned many more over the years, ranging from early 90's to 2014, and all of them have played great, with Zero issues. Out of all the Les Pauls I have owned, 5 of them were brand new from guitar center. None of them have ever broken a headstock, none of them have ever had neck issues. I do own 1 Les Paul classic that was a neck break repaired guitar, But I bought it knowing it was a repair because I loved the way the guitar looked, played, and sounded. AND the only reason the head stock broke was because the former owner left it out and a stand and his kid knocked it off the stand, and it landed flat on it's face on a hardwood floor.
I had the same thing happen to an old Ibanez when I was younger, if you leave any guitar laying around to fall over, damage is going to happen.
Now I will say that I have seen numerous Gibson's come from the factory with issues, I would not say it is as rampant as everyone always makes it out to be. I think Gibson has just become the company everyone loves to hate.

I still own 5 of the 7 shown here. Not because there was anything wrong with the other, just because I have bad G.A.S. and sold 2 of them to fund other purchases. One being the Axe FX.

For the record, the wine red standard in the middle is my number one, bought brand new in 2000 after all my gear was stolen from my rehearsal spot.
IMG_5633.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom