Gibson selling off their memphin TN factory

hmmmm - maybe no one is buying hollow bodies any more... I would love to get myself an ES335 - but at the tune of 4-5k... i'll pass....
sadly they are losing the business model that made them popular since the 50's.....
Hey Jimmy, if you like the 335, you might take a look at Heritage. IMHO, much better quality than Gibson and way better prices. I have a Heritage H-555 (equivalent to a 335) and it is a killer guitar. Anyone who loves old Gibsons should check out Heritage. I have owned several 335s and the Heritage smokes all of 'em. I also have a Heritage Sweet 16 (jazz box). Not a rock machine, but just perfect for old-school jazz.

Looks like they are moving to a smaller facility in the area according to the article based on the needing to stay in it for 2 years.

Not sure I feel sorry for them.

A few years ago, they jacked up prices (all of this IMO) to fund a crazy amount of 'widget' guitars trying to capture every possible market. I'm sure the large brains in accounting and market analysis told them that 'People will pay much more for a Les Paul and 335...jump it up'. It took me 3 years of playing Les Paul's to find one that had the sonic character and look that I wanted...that should NOT be so.

Robo tuners, crazy colors, every possible permutation of guitar. It's unsustainable.

Focus on the core guitars, be more flexible in your ordering process (if you want P90's in that SG, then be able to order it, not put out a full line of guitars.)

So I think this is good for them. A well needed dose of reality.

How about well playing guitars that are well made? Only available from custom shop at $9000?
Agreed, the prices are ridiculous.....but this is what you have to do when you're 500 million dollars in debt.
That is an impossible hole to dig yourself out of if you're not overcharging the sh*t out of your product.
The only way that they will survive is if they are purchased. Yamaha is one company I can think of that would have the capital to pay down that debt and turn around the production process to make good core models at a price that doesn't make me have to sell my car to buy it.

What a bummer....

Makes me wonder if I should be keeping all my Gibby's locked in a closet for the next 20 years.
I'm about to post a 85 Silverburst and 79 Wine Red Custom on Reverb....may have to rethink it.

Gibson business model- Want Ebony? $6000 min (but please don't buy the $300 knockoffs from China made with real ebony)
Could be in part because of how CITES (I think, its a treaty) has changed the trade in rare or endangered wood species. Certain woods have become off limits, others are very hard to trade in.

Of course, as usual the Chinese don't give a damn.

As a luthier that has torn into countless Gibson guitars over the years I can honestly say they are basically crap now. Horrible QC, overpriced, no value. A new Gibson is a poseur guitar IMO. You are buying the name on the headstock and legacy the company it used to be built, not what it is now. A $5k guitar should not need someone like me to make it playable.

Gibsons have become wall art for older guys with yachts and million dollar portfolios. I heard that from a good friend in the guitar business about 10 years ago and it still holds true, even more so. He said that the majority of guys coming in buying these high-end Gibson guitars weren't players. They were these rich pricks with money burning a hole in their pockets. They wanted that name on the headstock that their rock 'n roll hero had when they were younger. Mid-life crisis? Who knows. I personally hope they tank. That's a terrible thing to say, but, yeah, I hope they do.

As a luthier that has torn into countless Gibson guitars over the years I can honestly say they are basically crap now. Horrible QC, overpriced, no value. A new Gibson is a poseur guitar IMO. You are buying the name on the headstock and legacy the company it used to be built, not what it is now. A $5k guitar should not need someone like me to make it playable.
Amen.

A few years back I bought a Silverburst RD from ZZounds.
Got it...and every string was bottomed out on the fret board. Literally not one sting rung...just 100% fret buzz on every string...every fret.
Brought it directly to a luthier...he loosened the truss rod and let it sit...couple days later, neck still in back bow. They must have cut the slots for the frets too narrow because there was no way to get the back bow out of the neck. Returned it....they sent me another one. Got it...brought it to the luthier....same exact issue. I returned it to ZZounds and they would not send me a third (which I understand). I said - hey, I'm not overly picky, but please take a ruler and lay it down the fret board. This guitar is absolutely not playable. Bought a third one from Musician's Friend, and it was 'ok'. Truss was all the way relieved, but it was playable. Ended up selling it though.

Please tell me how you can (with a good conscience) sell a guitar that literally cannot be played.
Every Gibson has a tag in the case that says 'inspected by xxx'. That person picked up the guitar, tried to play a chord, just heard all flap and buzz, and put it back in the case and said - sounds good, ship it!

That experience bummed me out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom