Gibson ruining yet another acquired brand.

edit their CEO Andy Mooney is also a very smart man and quite approachable. We had a somewhat lengthy discussion a few years back about the state of the guitar, who’s buying them and the dropout rate after buying the first instrument. It was quite eye opening.
I suspect they have access to a lot of sales and after-the-sale repair information from their dealers that they link to the guitar's serial number. It's interesting what can be figured out when doing data mining.

I’ll never forgive them for completely running Cakewalk to ground.

Luckily it was resurrected a few years back by Bandlab and now it’s never been better.

But ya, Gibson running companies is never a good sign. Even their own.
What really upset a lot of people about Cakewalk was right before Gibson discontinued it, they offered a deal where you could get updates for life if you paid double the price and then I think they only released one update. I'm 99% sure Gibson knew they were discontinuing Cakewalk before they offered the life time updates deal. I'm so glad BandLab was able to revive Cakewalk. I switched to Reaper when Gibson announced the end of Cakewalk but I still use Cakewalk by BandLab to record and edit most MIDI projects because I find its MIDI editor more user friendly than Reaper's.

I love Steinberger trans trem. I wish Gibson would sell the tech to someone like Keisel who would do a lot with it.

When I blew a tweeter in a K-Rok monitor that I owned and used since 1993, Gibson was most unhelpful.

When my Dusk Tiger had the fretboard shrink, they were most unhelpful.

The only new Gibson product that I would buy is an Epiphone, since the one I own is rock solid with no issues. Other than that brand, you would have to pay me to deal with any other Gibson owned brand products.

with all the issues surrounding Gibson for so many years + a lot of customer dissatisfaction, one wonders what it is about Gibsons that makes them so special to so many. My SG Standard, though good quality, has had some electrics issues and does not stay in tune that well - despiite these things, it is special and #1 to me - can't see myself ever willingly selling it.

Last edited:
with all the issues surrounding Gibson for so many years + a lot of customer dissatisfaction, one wonders what it is about Gibsons that makes them so special to so many. My SG Standard, though good quality, has had some electrics issues and does not stay in tune that well - despiite these things, it is special and #1 to me - can't see myself ever willingly selling it.
I love Gibson guitars. The management of the company is in question.

Marketing. People are just buying fashion accessories like they saw they're favorite corporate shill playing.
I've been a luthier for over 20 years so have a particular kind of hate for those out dated poorly constructed instruments.

I suspect they have access to a lot of sales and after-the-sale repair information from their dealers that they link to the guitar's serial number. It's interesting what can be figured out when doing data mining.
From our conversation a full half of guitar sales were women and 90% dropout rate after the first year.

I've been a luthier for over 20 years so have a particular kind of hate for those out dated poorly constructed instruments.
your response adds even more mystery as to what puts Gibson in such high regard with professional artists - all my rock heros play Gibsons - if Gibson instruments are so poorly constructed, why?

I pat myself on the back for thinking those were hideous at the time they came out.
Almost slashed by eye with a dark fire tuner that went nuts, String snaped, cut me right under my eye. Sent it in to be fixed (for the 3rd time), they couldn't get parts for it after them having for 6 months. That wound up giving a les paul standard, No more Gibson for me after that debacle.

Do not forget the disgust that all Cakewalk users felt when Gibson acquired it in 2013, just to freeze the updates and throw it to the bin in 2017

I've been a faithful user since 1987, when it was a MIDI sequencer for MS-DOS developed by Twelve Tone Systems, and never felt comfortable with other DAW, even the most popular and expensive ones.

We are lucky that the young Meng Ru Kuok, an enthusiast billionaire from Singapore, purchased it to offer it for free "to ensure that anyone, regardless of their resources, technology or stage in their career, can have access to the highest level of professional music production tools." The constant updates and enhancements it is having since them are just incredible.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-how-did-we-get-here
1654990918993.png

Gibson is quite like the declining Yngwie Malmsteen using his lawyers to put down the videos of everyone that makes a cover or a tutorial of his solos playing them more accurately than how he is currently capable of playing, criticizes him, or offers him a Donut.

Last edited:
Do not forget the disgust that all Cakewalk users felt when Gibson acquired in 2013 just to freeze updates and throw it to the bin in 2017

I've been a faithful user since it was a MIDI sequencer for MS-DOS developed by Twelve Tone Systems, and never felt comfortable with other DAW, even the most popular and expensive ones.

We are lucky that the young Meng Ru Kuok, an enthusiast billionaire from Singapore, purchased it to offer it for free "to ensure that anyone, regardless of their resources, technology or stage in their career, can have access to the highest level of professional music production tools." The constant updates and enhancements it is having since them are just incredible.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-how-did-we-get-here
View attachment 103384

Gibson is quite like like the declining Yngwie Malmsteen. Using his lawyers to put down the videos of everyone that makes a cover or a tutorial of his solos playing them more accurately than how he is currently playing them, criticizes him, or offers him a Donut.
And that he hired Noel Borthwick as head of the old dev team says a LOT !
It's been my choice of DAWs for going on two decades now and as an added side bonus it works GREAT with Acustica Audio stuff.

It is beginning to feel a bit like sleeping with the Devil. Gibson and Heritage had a settlement
agreement dating to 1991, and yet Gibson still sued Heritage for trademark infringement, and
a Judge in Michigan refused to throw out the Heritage counter-suit in relation to Anti-trust laws.
That whole notion of Gibson seeking to kill the competition by putting them out of business,
and reneging on previous agreements appears to be accurate.

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/gibson-antitrust-litigation-heritage-guitars/

One word says it all: Roto-Tuners
I loved the robot tuners.

The only downsides I found to them were:
A) I like old strings. Once the tuners need to deal with strings over 6 months old, the oxidation would throw off their calibration and snap the strings.
B) Gibson sued Tronical, so the future of replacement parts and service was/is precarious.

Back
Top Bottom