Gibson reconsiders

Yep. Those 2015 models will end up as rare bird collector items. Mostly because no one wants to play them ... ever.

Good on them to admit their mistake and start making guitars again.

Yep. Those 2015 models will end up as rare bird collector items. Mostly because no one wants to play them ... ever.

Good on them to admit their mistake and start making guitars again.

I don't think they'll ever be worth more than HALF of their new price...

To be valuable you need 2-3 things
1- something perceived rare (diamonds aren't rare but people think they are)
2- something of quality
3- something people want

No 13-16 year old today is dreaming of the "2015" les paul

so in 10 years when they have the money to get something- they won't care.

and quality wise- they're known as junk and Gibson's wood is barely wood (Martin uses glued together cardboard and formica and calls it 'high pressure laminate' and charges $1000 for it)

...to get a decent wood in a guitar (like ebony) on a 2015 LP is $6000 for a supreme...

they'll be a blip in gibson's history and no one will ever want one

Well - when I started out on electric guitars in the early 80'ties the 70'ties area of Fender Stratocasters were the laughing stock of the time. Heavy, bad QC etc. No one wanted them and you could pick them up for cheap. Now they are "vintage" and the prices are going up, up, up. And a lot of players now think they are good quality ... funny eh?

Those 2015 Gibson will be rare (they already are) and collectable down the line as well.

Well - when I started out on electric guitars in the early 80'ties the 70'ties area of Fender Stratocasters were the laughing stock of the time. Heavy, bad QC etc. No one wanted them and you could pick them up for cheap. Now they are "vintage" and the prices are going up, up, up. And a lot of players now think they are good quality ... funny eh?

Those 2015 Gibson will be rare (they already are) and collectable down the line as well.

Also not true-
70s/80s Gibsons and Fenders are not in the same ballpark or universe as the 50s/60s.

The prices may be going up imaginary- but a typical 70's/80's Les Paul goes for LESS than a 90's 2000's one on the used market.

They may have high price tags but people aren't actually getting those big numbers for them

The problem is- people think "oh well 50's 60's are worth soooo much- my 70's/80's is beat up and old too and it must be worth a ton!"

There's some cool fenders even from the 60's- like mustangs/jagars/etc- that don't go for a great deal of money- $800-1500- when a new Kurt Cobain Mustang is $2000+

So people put big price tags on the 70's/80's stuff- but a lot know the quality issues, and whatever- and they don't actually sell for much money at all.

I pass them up, even the customs all day- they're out there...

Rarity- there's 18 1958 Gibson Explorers, maybe 1 2 or ZERO original Gibson Moderns - that's rare

from 1970-1989 there has been a TON of Fenders/Gibsons.

I can't imagine many 70s 80s Fender's being worth over $2000- maybe ever-
And on the Gibson- they're all over the place-

90's Ibanez guitars will hit $5000 used before 70-80 Gibsons

I paid $800 for a barely used 2002 standard with custom Seymour Duncan pickups, upgraded grover tuners, and Dunlop strap locks. It retailed for over $3000 with the upgrades.

It's a great guitar. Weight relieved.

If I had not got this deal, I would not have a Gibson, as iconic as they are, they are not worth the current retail prices.... even the new 2016 prices... way too much for what they are.

Also not true-
70s/80s Gibsons and Fenders are not in the same ballpark or universe as the 50s/60s.

The prices may be going up imaginary- but a typical 70's/80's Les Paul goes for LESS than a 90's 2000's one on the used market.

They may have high price tags but people aren't actually getting those big numbers for them

The problem is- people think "oh well 50's 60's are worth soooo much- my 70's/80's is beat up and old too and it must be worth a ton!"

There's some cool fenders even from the 60's- like mustangs/jagars/etc- that don't go for a great deal of money- $800-1500- when a new Kurt Cobain Mustang is $2000+

So people put big price tags on the 70's/80's stuff- but a lot know the quality issues, and whatever- and they don't actually sell for much money at all.

I pass them up, even the customs all day- they're out there...

Rarity- there's 18 1958 Gibson Explorers, maybe 1 2 or ZERO original Gibson Moderns - that's rare

from 1970-1989 there has been a TON of Fenders/Gibsons.

I can't imagine many 70s 80s Fender's being worth over $2000- maybe ever-
And on the Gibson- they're all over the place-

90's Ibanez guitars will hit $5000 used before 70-80 Gibsons

There are some great 70's Strats to be found. Yes, collectors sniff their noses at the three bolt necks, etc. But, my friend has a 1978 he bought new and it's a great-sounding guitar. The only issue with it are the skinny frets and 7.25 inch radius neck.

A coup d'état is against the leaders will, a sale obviously requires it. You've got Henry until his last miserable breath I fear.

YESSS!!!

...my '07 with ebony will retain value as the models just get worse and worse (c:<

What a surprise - bias against Fender - Gibsons have been hit and miss for many, many years. No QC. Fender also, but the difference is the Gibson cost 2X as much as the Fender. I'll keep my Fenders....

May buy a Suhr if I get the $$$, but I will never buy A Gibson. Yes we all have our little quirks and opinions.....which is fine.

OK-Guess I better edit... the Bias against Fender was a rib, joke, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom