Gibson LP Studio Deluxe question from a Strat guy

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, I have decided I want one. Yes that specific model.
My question is, what years are better to look for used? 2,000's or 2010's?
Or is it just a really huge hit and miss as far as QC with these no matter what year you buy?
Strats and Teles I have my own opinions, but Gibson I have NO experience.

Why LP Studio DLX? Too long a story but this is what I have decided on.
Thanks guys.

Huge hit or miss from all years of production on any Gibson solid body, more misses that hits honestly so be diligent in your selection. Make sure you buy in person and thoroughly check it out before agreeing on a nice low purchase price.

What Musikron said ! Also ..., I'd add that everyone that I ever played had a neck like a damn baseball bat ... !

If that's what you like then it's ALL good ..., but coming from a Strat ( which is what I play mostly too ) ..., it's simply too much neck for my hands !

GOOD LUCK !

What Musikron said ! Also ..., I'd add that everyone that I ever played had a neck like a damn baseball bat ... !

If that's what you like then it's ALL good ..., but coming from a Strat ( which is what I play mostly too ) ..., it's simply too much neck for my hands !

GOOD LUCK !
One of the reasons for my choice was the 60's slim taper neck. Your correct, much different than a Strat...Thanks

If you're a Strat guy who wants a Les Paul sound, why not get a Strat with 2 humbuckers and Les Paul style wiring? Best of both worlds really.

Why LP Studio DLX? Too long a story but this is what I have decided on.

This is a problem when you're thinking on paper and in your mind than with wood in your hands/real world/tangible thought

On paper- it sounds perfect, best bang for the buck- good value, same woods- same tone etc- little nicer than the simpler one but still have the LP tone etc... sure... on paper it sounds great.

As someone that's owned MANY low end Gibsons in the past I can attest that you should get a STANDARD at a minimum....

I had faded/studio/etc mostly SG's- but the standards are so much better

The sound, the feel, the neck quality- if you want- get an epiphone with good pickups and wiring if you want to cut corners- it will get you half way there for half the price....

I wouldn't even recommend classic or traditional- straight up STANDARD is the lowest i'd recommend going on a LP or SG

Unless it has to say Gibson on the headstock, I'd get a PRS 245 any day over one of the cheaper Gibsons. It's going to be very close tone wise but the build quality will be much better.

This is a problem when you're thinking on paper and in your mind than with wood in your hands/real world/tangible thought

On paper- it sounds perfect, best bang for the buck- good value, same woods- same tone etc- little nicer than the simpler one but still have the LP tone etc... sure... on paper it sounds great.

As someone that's owned MANY low end Gibsons in the past I can attest that you should get a STANDARD at a minimum....

The sound, the feel, the neck quality- if you want- get an epiphone with good pickups and wiring if you want to cut corners- it will get you half way there for half the price....

I wouldn't even recommend classic or traditional- straight up STANDARD is the lowest i'd recommend going on a LP or SG
I’d take an epi over a Gibson any day. In fact I have. Multiple times, though all I ever actually play are my Ibanez’s and Parker.

@Musikron

• @Johan Allard

The only reason I have a Gibson Les Paul is because it says Gibson on it, no other reason.
    The BEST Les Paul sound I've got out of a guitar, is a Vox SSC-33... the newer guitar like Prince used
    $160 used and replaced several $1000+ guitars

If you're a Strat guy who wants a Les Paul sound, why not get a Strat with 2 humbuckers and Les Paul style wiring? Best of both worlds really.

2 reasons: 24.75 scale and 3 x 3 tuning key config............................Much better for my arthritic hands. That is the real reason for the change. But thanks.

Unless it has to say Gibson on the headstock, I'd get a PRS 245 any day over one of the cheaper Gibsons. It's going to be very close tone wise but the build quality will be much better.

need that 24.75" scale. Also the wide flat neck kind of scares me. I know they make a shorter scale also, but not cheap. The thing about the "cheaper" Gibsons is I can get the Studio deluxe, looking at a 2009 and a 2011 so far, is $750 to $850. Not much of an investment.
Boy I have an answer for everything don't I?

That is definitely the baseball bat neck.................Thats why I chose Studio Deluxe. Traditional and Classic also have option for 60's slim taper neck. But expensive. Thanks

I do really appreciate everyones info and advice. My post #11 really says it all. I looked at the guild solid bodies but do not know anyone that has played one. Guess they aren't that popular. I know this is "unpopular" but I dot really want a Chinese guitar. Just old italian guy set in my ways. Japan, Germany, England, etc are fine also..........
Most of you that know me (from the forum of course) I am sure know I am a bit stubborn, to say the least.

Thanks again for the great info....I do appreciate it.

I did look up the Vox SSC-33. Scale is 25.25". Too bad really, nice looking guitar.

Also looking at the Newer epiphones, the higher end ones ($600) have same wood as regular Les Paul. also have 60's slim taper neck.

Do the newer epiphones have the same QC issues as the Gibsons?

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Les Paul Signature T with coil tap humbuckers so you can get a single coil sound on either or both pickups if you need. With the AX8 I can almost get any sound with this guitar and my rig. It’s my only Gibson and my main axe now. I don’t find the neck that big.

I have a 2013 Les Paul Signature T with coil tap humbuckers so you can get a single coil sound on either or both pickups if you need. With the AX8 I can almost get any sound with this guitar and my rig. It’s my only Gibson and my main axe now. I don’t find the neck that big.

Actually was looking at one on Reverb.com Thanks............

Back
Top Bottom