Gibson LP Special, etc with wrap around bridge?

I have a PRS SC245 with the old style wrap tail bridge. It has adjustments at the bass and treble sides that actually provide quite a bit of range. It intonates very well with the 10-46 string gauge that I use.

Well I will stick with what I have used and like for decades. I am happy for you folks-they are just not for me. Hope thats OK-Jeezzzz!
Sound better? Uh, very subjective to say the least.

Well I will stick with what I have used and like for decades. I am happy for you folks-they are just not for me. Hope thats OK-Jeezzzz!
Sound better? Uh, very subjective to say the least.

Yeah, this place is often a little too full of "know better" types trying to change minds with superior knowledge
and expertise. And if one doesn't take that advice then you get the old "Told you so!" rap. Blech!

There's simply not a damn thing wrong with people liking what they like, and having their own reasons for it.
No need to explain or defend it to anyone. Especially if we are spending our own money (and not theirs) to do so. :)

Hope you find a Special you dig. :)

That's why aftermarket solutions exist though. Do we discount a whole guitar that we can swap pickups in?

For sure. I agree completely. That's not what the OP wants, though. This thread is not about me,
or you, or anyone else's preferences.

Just sayin'. :)

Yeah, this place is often a little too full of "know better" types trying to change minds with superior knowledge
and expertise. And if one doesn't take that advice then you get the old "Told you so!" rap. Blech!

There's simply not a damn thing wrong with people liking what they like, and having their own reasons for it.
No need to explain or defend it to anyone. Especially if we are spending our own money (and not theirs) to do so. :)

Hope you find a Special you dig. :)
The "sound better" bit is it is functionally better at transferring the string energy through to the body which would generally be accepted as better for the tone. Obviously everyone has different ears and may not like that.

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Special (TV Yellow) last month and love this guitar (especially the P90's) but intonation is a concern with the wrap-around tailpiece. If I tune the guitar using my Axe FX tuner, even open (cowboy) chords sound a bit odd and it gets worse up the neck. If I tune it by ear i.e. so the open chords sound good, then overall tuning is tolerable. (Yes, I have attempted to set intonation using the stud spacers but that hasn't given me the results I was hoping for.) Since I'm used to having guitars that I can accurately intonate, I've started to investigate compensated wrap-around saddles. The one that Hellbat suggested looks like a possibility but the dimensions seem slightly off - specifically, I think I need 3.25" stud spacing and 2 1/16" string spacing. Stew-Mac offers a number of compensated wrap -around saddles that appear to have the right dimensions, so that appears to be another possibility. Has anyone successfully applied an aftermarket compensated wrap-around tailpiece to a LP Special? If so, would you be willing to share your experience? TIA

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Special (TV Yellow) last month and love this guitar (especially the P90's) but intonation is a concern with the wrap-around tailpiece. If I tune the guitar using my Axe FX tuner, even open (cowboy) chords sound a bit odd and it gets worse up the neck. If I tune it by ear i.e. so the open chords sound good, then overall tuning is tolerable. (Yes, I have attempted to set intonation using the stud spacers but that hasn't given me the results I was hoping for.) Since I'm used to having guitars that I can accurately intonate, I've started to investigate compensated wrap-around saddles. The one that Hellbat suggested looks like a possibility but the dimensions seem slightly off - specifically, I think I need 3.25" stud spacing and 2 1/16" string spacing. Stew-Mac offers a number of compensated wrap -around saddles that appear to have the right dimensions, so that appears to be another possibility. Has anyone successfully applied an aftermarket compensated wrap-around tailpiece to a LP Special? If so, would you be willing to share your experience? TIA
Intonate the two E strings using the grub screws and you will be very close even on a no compensation tailpiece. Spacers?

Unknown.jpeg
This is a Mojo Axe bridge that looks stock and intonates perfectly. There are plenty or others out there but this is my particular favourite as is sounds excellent and keeps a totally stock look.

Back
Top Bottom