Gibson Les Paul Advice...what to buy

favance

Power User
So, I have played many Les Pauls over the years and know they vary quite a bit.

I'm looking for something that 1) captures most of the great Les Pauls sounds of Rock/Blues, 2) has a playable neck (not the baseball bat necks I've seen on some, 3) is weight relieved (as I get older, it's harder to hold a heavy guitar on the old shoulder).

Also, the guitar stores around me generally don't carry a lot of Les Paul models. So, I would probably have to order from somewhere like Sweetwater and take my chances.

So, I've been looking at a Honeyburst Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus 2014... Does anyone have experience with these? Is there a better alternative for the money?

thanks!

For that price you would get a Tokai top spec model that will most likely kill the Gibson. Even a custom order handbuilt by a top luthier would begin in that range ...
I'd stay away from "normal" Gibsons (but that may be just me). A CC may be another thing because it MAY rise in value.

Modern weight relief, check.
60's neck profile, check.
Buy used, save a ton of cash, and use some of it to pick up some nice pups & maybe rewire to vintage spec?

Modern weight relief, check.
60's neck profile, check.
Buy used, save a ton of cash, and use some of it to pick up some nice pups & maybe rewire to vintage spec?

100% agree with this.

That's a crap load of money to spend on a new guitar imo.

So, I have played many Les Pauls over the years and know they vary quite a bit.

I'm looking for something that 1) captures most of the great Les Pauls sounds of Rock/Blues, 2) has a playable neck (not the baseball bat necks I've seen on some, 3) is weight relieved (as I get older, it's harder to hold a heavy guitar on the old shoulder).

Also, the guitar stores around me generally don't carry a lot of Les Paul models. So, I would probably have to order from somewhere like Sweetwater and take my chances.

So, I've been looking at a Honeyburst Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus 2014... Does anyone have experience with these? Is there a better alternative for the money?

thanks!

I don't know if something has changed for 2014 but those from 13' with 50's neck shape are really huge necks!, i have a bunch of custom shop LP's with fat necks, love them, but the standard line's fat neck is really not confortable at all, at least for me.

Custom shop Les Pauls are supposed to have a more accurate fat or slim neck similar to what the originals had, but i believe Gibson is not paying any attention on those necks sized for the standard line.

So, seek the 60's style neck for those.

I'm a Gibson fanatic....always have been. And I can say that there are almost zero new Les Pauls that I've played that I like.
For much less money, keep your eye on Craigs List and GC.com (used section).
I have found outstanding deals on Craigs List. I bought a 75 Deluxe, which was amazing....for $650. That was a once in a life time score....but there are great deals out there.
I recently bought a 80's Silverburst Custom for $2k. It's 9lb+, but it is balanced well and I can play it all night.
I have seen more consistent great playing Les Pauls from the 70's-90's. But some of the 2000+ models are ok as well.
Look for something in the 70's-90's on Craigs List and pay half of what that new one will cost, and it will likely play and sound much better.
GC.com is good as well for one reason....you can have them ship it, and if you don't like it, you can return it at your local guitar center (no matter where it came from).
So the trial period is great. GC has some good used ones....you just have to search.
Good Luck!

I don't know if something has changed for 2014 but those from 13' with 50's neck shape are really huge necks!, i have a bunch of custom shop LP's with fat necks, love them, but the standard line's fat neck is really not confortable at all, at least for me.

Custom shop Les Pauls are supposed to have a more accurate fat or slim neck similar to what the originals had, but i believe Gibson is not paying any attention on those necks sized for the standard line.

So, seek the 60's style neck for those.

Iirc, 2013's had that asymetrical shape not many liked. 2014's went to 60's neck profiles that a majority of lp players seem to be after these days

Good post, Favance. Thought about doing it myself recently.
I believe most gtr enthusiasts would love a Les Paul in their arsenal, as I would. But the 2 thing I dont like about um:

no stainless steel frets & shellac back of neck (not fast action natural wood neck)

That's a crap load of money to spend on a new guitar imo
Yep, That's what I would pay for a guitar handbuild by a luthier.
Something like this:
500a44935c8320008f1c713a63e32b8e_XL.jpg

The reason I'm looking at new standard plus Paul is they've done real cool things. Cryogenic frets are supposed to last 4 times longer. Asymetric 60s profile neck w/compound radius fretboard. All the pickup wiring options seem to be included. Less than 9 lbs. Locking tuners and bridge/tailpiece...nice finishes. It seems to hit a lot of what I would want in Paul (normally a Strat player). I know it's somewhat expensive... But I'm older and have a nice 2007 Strat Deluxe, a Martin 0028 E...and keep telling myself I need a nice Les Paul, because it's an iconic rock guitar and is a different sound/feel than a thing else I own...

Gibson guitars have gone down in quality IMO, from the pickups to the nut, a lot to upgrade after spending big $$$$. At these prices we shouldn't have to upgrade anything.
Perhaps they took a cue from Ibanez?
When I bought my RG1520 gbk prestige for over $1500 it came with a high nut and real crappy INF or V7 pickups. I had to perform many upgrades to make this guitar have MoJo.

Iirc, 2013's had that asymetrical shape not many liked. 2014's went to 60's neck profiles that a majority of lp players seem to be after these days

Sorry, i didn't specify that my experience was with a Traditional Plus guitar, not the standard that has the asymmetrical shape and weight relief.

So, here's and update and Gibson's site for the 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus. Just to make it clear, I'm looking for a nice Gibson Les Paul. I know there are other guitars out there that I would love to have. But, I'm trying to satisfy an old itch. In the late 60's, early 70's, I had an early 60 Les Paul Custom Fretless Wonder. Unfortunately, it was stolen from me around 1975, while in the Service, in Biloxi, MS. This was an amazing guitar...and I never replaced. I've thought about looking for another, however, I don't think my back could stand the weight now (I'm 60). So, I'm looking for a nice, weight-relieved Les Paul Standard. I would like to get one new, as I really want a virgin, that I can break in and bond with...

Has anyone on the forum played one of the 2014 Les Paul Standard Plus guitars? Your thoughts on the quality and playability? Thanks again!

Last edited:
What's interesting, is that yes you can get something else that doesn't cost as much, However, it's not a Gibson and it's not a Les Paul. If you've never owned a Les Paul then you just don't get it. It's hard to explain, but nothing does a Les Paul tone like a Les Paul.

Like has been mentioned, shop used or trade if money is an issue. I got lucky last year, 1st, bought a backup Ibanez Prestige for $800, ($1600 new), then threw it up on Kijiji stating it was $1600 new and looking to trade for a Gibson..... within 3 days I traded it for a 2002 Les Paul Standard ($2899 new). The Les Paul suffers from "sticky neck" but it's not an issue for me as I don't sweat much from my hands. There is nothing else wrong with it, in fact it's probably one of the best playing "rock" guitars I've ever owned.

What's interesting, is that yes you can get something else that doesn't cost as much, However, it's not a Gibson and it's not a Les Paul. If you've never owned a Les Paul then you just don't get it. It's hard to explain, but nothing does a Les Paul tone like a Les Paul.

Well, my Tandler Beauty (a "Les Paul") has the correct wood (Hondurian Mahogany), the correct (even improved regarding the neck joint) build and the best legal fretboard there is today. Handbuilt and PERFECT. It sounds like a great vintage LS (snappy, fast, like a fat Tele). And it costs less than a CC. Good luck finding a new Gibson that sounds and plays like this. Maybe one in 500. A good friend has a 72 Standard and a 80's Anniversary Gold Top. He tried EVERYTHING to improve them but he has tears in his eyes when he plays my Beauty...
I understand when the name Gibson is important to some people, but really there are better builds out there that really can hang with the vintage ones (Ok, I only played one original 1960's LS, but the Tandler can easily hang with that one).

I'm a Schecter man myself, but I completely get this, and know what you're talking about. I have a really nice, decked out Epi Custom LP that I absolutely love, but I still *want* a Gibby some day. It's a bucket-list item for me. LP copy was the first guitar I ever bought for myself 35 years ago, and I've wanted a Gibby ever since.

Until that day I'll be happy with my Schecters, Epi, and my '96 Strat Plus Deluxe, but some day I'll have a real Gibby Custom LP. No doubt about it. One thing is for sure though, I don't want a chambered body, so the newer models are out for me.

I wouldn't buy anything past the year 2000
esp a 2014

Sorry, but this is uninformed. If you personally wouldn't buy that's one thing, but they made a ton of killer LPs up to 2007 and still several before the infamous richlite of 2011.

I have bought a 2013 lp standard plus that I love.good sound and a lot easier on the shoulder than my '68 black beauty .very different sounding from my custom but very nice to play. At 63 years old I can't handle the heavier custom but I could not sell it as we have been together for 45 years.

Back
Top Bottom