Gibson Lab into the Axe 3

Travis

Hey all, dug my Gibson lab out of storage and trying to use it as a preamp with AxeFX cabinet and power amp modeling. I saw Leon Todd's video where he did this with his ADA MP1 rack preamp. I am using his preset that he uploaded from a couple years ago where he used the tube pre amp in the AXE to simulate different power amps. The problem I have is it's not very loud through my FRFR speakers. Any tips or advice will help. Here is how I set it up from what looks like how LT set it up.

Guitar -> Gibson lab input -> Gibson lab preamp out -> into AXE3 input 2 -> Out through AXE3 Output1 -> FRFR speaker

I boosted the Tube Pre level up to plus 15db to get some decent volume but not very loud.

Also any way for me to tonematch the preamp section with this setup? Thanks

I’ve never been impressed with the tone matching results in FAS units. I think you’d be better off maybe recording a clip into your DAW with the above setup and then start dialing amp model to match. Also check out a plugin like Melda Productions Freeform EQ where you can do EQ matching then export it as an IR. But I’d maybe match without an IR just to get the amp tone, then use something like the IR player, then a Cab block for Cab IR’s.

Back
Top Bottom