Gibson interview regarding the Fed raids

I've got my own issues with Gibson, but this seems to be nothing more than a witch hunt for no apparent reason. With all that's going on with the U.S. economy and in the world in general, THIS is where the Department of Justice focuses their attention? That earns a big "WTF?" from me.

I'll second that WTF. Our govt has lost its mind. This is the stuff that is keeping people out pf work. People can't afford to be in business any more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Remember, Gibson moved from Michigan to a right to work state. No more union, and the current administration has been a good friend to organized labor. Witness the foolishness at Boeings.

Weren't they caught using illegally harvested or imported (forget which) wood a few years back already? "Patient: Doctor, if I do this, it hurts! Doctor: stop doing it, then!"

Weren't they caught using illegally harvested or imported (forget which) wood a few years back already? "Patient: Doctor, if I do this, it hurts! Doctor: stop doing it, then!"

According to the thing I read, they were not. They were accused of it, but they had everything documented. It does seem like a witch hunt to me.

The other thing to note is that the laws that this is based on are supposedly very broad and could apply to any of us:

Feds Raid Gibson; Musicians Now Worried The Gov't Will Take Their Guitars Away | Techdirt

Mark

I thought Gibson was raided in 2009 for supposed illegal purchase of imported mahogany from Madagascar, which Gibson claims it has all of the proper and official documentation from Madagascar which authorized the sale of the the mahogany as being perfectly legal. Gibson is still awaiting the results of a counter-suit for the return of those wood assets.

Plexi59, don't you know a political shakedown when you see one? Let's play devil's advocate and assume that Gibson is in the wrong. This is about wood, for chrissakes. Talk about heavy-handed and misguided. Jeez! Wouldn't a healthy punitive fine do the job? Maybe some SEIU members picketing in front of Gibson's production facilities with some very willing MSNBC/ABC/CBS/CNN coverage to "shame" Gibson to do the right thing? Instead, what winds up happening is the workers bear the brunt of decisions made at the upper management level, assuming that Gibson even did anything wrong. Where is the presumed "innocence before guilt" and due process here? Gibson is due a fair trial and their day in court to defend themselves against their accuser (the Federal Government).

It's really funny how things work in places like Washington D.C., and where I live in Massachusetts. Perhaps you heard about the 23 yr. old kid who was riding his motorcycle and hit by a drunk driver illegal alien from Ecuador, and dragged to his death. A good kid who had his light snuffed out in the prime of his life by a POS who already had a rap sheet that included multiple serious offenses such as B&E, assaulting a police officer, as well as previous DUI offenses. Massachusetts government immigration officials (as well as federal) WOULD NOT DEPORT HIM for those previous offenses, and so he roamed the streets until he finally committed a crime (vehicular homicide) for which the government couldn't turn its back. Ain't that swell. We can't get illegal alien dirtbags deported for "minor crimes" of theft, B&E, drunk driving, etc., but we send the Feds in to shut down a guitar manufacturer for alleged illegal purchase of freaking MAHOGANY! Doesn't take a genius to see that there is something very wrong going on here.

The current administration knows exactly what it is doing. They aren't stupid. However, they are thuggish and like to kick sand in the face of their so-called domestic "enemies" who happen to believe in the right to non-union labor and something that resembles capitalism. The current administration knows that this harassment of Gibson will piss off a whole lot of people, and that's exactly what they want. They are agitating the system. They believe in the radical 1960s modus operandi of how to achieve social change. I'm just old enough to remember the violent social upheaval that took place in the late sixties. It wasn't pretty, and I fear that this is precisely what the current administration has in mind, coming soon to a town near you. Just ask Barry O's buddy, William Ayers - that really nice guy who liked to blow up buildings where some unfortunate innocent people happened to get killed, all in the name of social change.

Other than that, I have no strong opinions...(sorry about the rant)

No, 2 years ago they were raided, a bunch of wood was seized but they were never charged.
Gibson last week went to court to force the goverment to return the seized wood from 2 years ago.
They didn't get the wood but they did get another raid.

:eek:

No, 2 years ago they were raided, a bunch of wood was seized but they were never charged.
Gibson last week went to court to force the goverment to return the seized wood from 2 years ago.
They didn't get the wood but they did get another raid.

:eek:

Moral of the story:

Never ask for Wood from the Government. They just might give it to you :)

Seriously though, guys watch the politics. Plenty of other forums on the Net for political conversations.

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing here is that after 2 years in storage, even if the material is returned, it will probably be useless. Gibson will be out half a million with no chance of recovery. Mission accomplished?

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who feels the way I do. Out of respect for javajunkie's request, I'll do my best to tone down the political rhetoric in future posts. Just as a practical matter, though, this raid on Gibson is where politics and political correctness meets head on with the business of creating musical instruments (which is hardly ever a political endeavor, that being the manufacture of guitars). This is the Lounge, so how exactly are we supposed to voice opinions and/or express explanations without crossing the line into strong political opinion?

Let's say, for example, some of Cliff's favorite electronic components were manufactured abroad, and the federal agents did the same thing to FAS and their purchase of those electronics that they have done to Gibson. I'd be willing to bet that the heavy political opinions would be flying fast an furious in that scenario. Sound far-fetched? Think again....just sayin'...

Methinks we don't know the whole story as usual. I _highly_ doubt anyone would bother "shaking them down", given that we're taking like 30K at most.

I thought Gibson was raided in 2009 for supposed illegal purchase of imported mahogany from Madagascar, which Gibson claims it has all of the proper and official documentation from Madagascar which authorized the sale of the the mahogany as being perfectly legal. Gibson is still awaiting the results of a counter-suit for the return of those wood assets.

Plexi59, don't you know a political shakedown when you see one? Let's play devil's advocate and assume that Gibson is in the wrong. This is about wood, for chrissakes. Talk about heavy-handed and misguided. Jeez! Wouldn't a healthy punitive fine do the job? Maybe some SEIU members picketing in front of Gibson's production facilities with some very willing MSNBC/ABC/CBS/CNN coverage to "shame" Gibson to do the right thing? Instead, what winds up happening is the workers bear the brunt of decisions made at the upper management level, assuming that Gibson even did anything wrong. Where is the presumed "innocence before guilt" and due process here? Gibson is due a fair trial and their day in court to defend themselves against their accuser (the Federal Government).

It's really funny how things work in places like Washington D.C., and where I live in Massachusetts. Perhaps you heard about the 23 yr. old kid who was riding his motorcycle and hit by a drunk driver illegal alien from Ecuador, and dragged to his death. A good kid who had his light snuffed out in the prime of his life by a POS who already had a rap sheet that included multiple serious offenses such as B&E, assaulting a police officer, as well as previous DUI offenses. Massachusetts government immigration officials (as well as federal) WOULD NOT DEPORT HIM for those previous offenses, and so he roamed the streets until he finally committed a crime (vehicular homicide) for which the government couldn't turn its back. Ain't that swell. We can't get illegal alien dirtbags deported for "minor crimes" of theft, B&E, drunk driving, etc., but we send the Feds in to shut down a guitar manufacturer for alleged illegal purchase of freaking MAHOGANY! Doesn't take a genius to see that there is something very wrong going on here.

The current administration knows exactly what it is doing. They aren't stupid. However, they are thuggish and like to kick sand in the face of their so-called domestic "enemies" who happen to believe in the right to non-union labor and something that resembles capitalism. The current administration knows that this harassment of Gibson will piss off a whole lot of people, and that's exactly what they want. They are agitating the system. They believe in the radical 1960s modus operandi of how to achieve social change. I'm just old enough to remember the violent social upheaval that took place in the late sixties. It wasn't pretty, and I fear that this is precisely what the current administration has in mind, coming soon to a town near you. Just ask Barry O's buddy, William Ayers - that really nice guy who liked to blow up buildings where some unfortunate innocent people happened to get killed, all in the name of social change.

Other than that, I have no strong opinions...(sorry about the rant)

Deleted accidental double post

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom