Gibson Guitar is a Remarkably Unpopular Company

I have found the new Carvin/Kiesels to be the best overall for me. All others were sold off. I get a roaring LP sound from my 5.5lb Vader, and my neck and back thank me the next day.

You get a lot of guitar for 30% less money than other high end brand names with the Carvin Logo. Now the Keisel models I hear are right up there with PRS and Suhr from the price standpoint 3-4K but from what I can see the quality and attention to detail seems to be on par with those instruments plus you get a say in how it looks and feels. I have yet to put one in my hands but I hope to change in the near future.

I remember back when I first started shopping for a really good guitar I went looking at Gibson and I picked up no less than ten LP's from $1,200 to 6k and not one of them played for me, I was actually quite shocked that they didn't. Then I picked up a PRS and right out of the gate it was as if the guitar was an extension of my body, just effortless. Played them for ten years and they are still great guitars but they have become too expensive for me to justify the expense for the occasional gig and bedroom playing.

You get a lot of guitar for 30% less money than other high end brand names with the Carvin Logo. Now the Keisel models I hear are right up there with PRS and Suhr from the price standpoint 3-4K but from what I can see the quality and attention to detail seems to be on par with those instruments plus you get a say in how it looks and feels. I have yet to put one in my hands but I hope to change in the near future.

I remember back when I first started shopping for a really good guitar I went looking at Gibson and I picked up no less than ten LP's from $1,200 to 6k and not one of them played for me, I was actually quite shocked that they didn't. Then I picked up a PRS and right out of the gate it was as if the guitar was an extension of my body, just effortless. Played them for ten years and they are still great guitars but they have become too expensive for me to justify the expense for the occasional gig and bedroom playing.

Over the last few years I have had Fenders, Washburn, Gibson LPs, Suhr, PRS, ESP, Robin, Ibanez J-custom, ... All have been sold. The Vader 6 is incredible. Light weight and resonant. The new Kiesel pickups made the ESP with Blackouts sound like crap in comparison. I can finally say I have found my dream guitar, the same way the Axe ended my amp quest. I though the headless setup would need some adjustment. Surprisingly not. It felt as familiar as an old friend. Try it and thank me later :)

The Kiesel models on the website are similar in price to the Carvin models. It's when you get into the "Kiesel Edition" stuff that you're shelling out the bucks. From what I understand, you work with Jeff Keisel from the start and throughout the build process. The list is pretty long - the joke on the Carvin BBS is that you have to get on the "waiting list for the waiting list".

My local shop has 3 LP Juniors with the 1 piece stoptail. All 3 have the bridge too close to the neck and will not intonate. The only way to resove it would be to install a 3rd party tailpiece or fill and redrill the posts. This indicates their template( s ) are busted and either nobody has noticed, or that they have noticed but don't care.

It's too bad because I've lusted after a TV P90 single cut for years, but I'm not going to buy one that won't intonate without surgery.

I have a 2003 Carvin DC400A and a 2008 CT6. I can honestly say that since I started playing those guitars, I have never really GAS'ed for another guitar (okay, except maybe a really nice Tele). The figured tops are amazing and the necks are even better. I have never touched another guitar that played quite like my CT6 with tung oiled neck, ebony fretboard, and stainless frets.

Service is also good (via phone, e-mail may be another story) - when I ordered one of the guitars, I photoshopped a burst option that wasn't offered and they matched it for $50. Years later they started offering something very similar as "Deep Nightburst." :mrgreen

Only issues so far have been that the pickup toggle in the DC400A went out on me after 11 years and one of the solder joints in the shielding on the CT6 went bad, causing one of the pickups to sound funky. Really just minor maintenance stuff. Some people like to replace the pickups but I'm happy with the stock ones. The new Kiesel pickups do have my attention, though...

My next new guitar will almost definitely be a Kiesel as long as they don't sell out. I can't imagine paying $5k and up for a Fender or Gibson when Carvin/Kiesel can match the quality of those instruments while still providing a lot of customization options. The only downside to this all (Fractal included) is that pawn shops and music stores do absolutely nothing for me anymore.

Gibson recently threatened Tom Anderson with a lawsuit over their LP "inspired" bulldog-forcing them to discontinue that model as Tom doesn't have the resources to fight it like a PRS/ESP would. Not that I would buy their guitars anyway but that really is crappy.

God damn. I have an 08 Les Paul Standard, a 2010 SG Standard, and a 2013 Les Paul Traditional, and there's something about Gibson that's always "clicked" with me. Amidst all of these criticism of their quality control, I've tried other brands but I've never "meshed" with anything else quite as well. Really hope they right the ship.

IMO Gibson is a bully who got smacked. Don't try to sell me a $4k+ custom with a richlite fingerboard. Come on! I've owned over 5 various Gibsons thru the years. One was a gem.

Fender, Gibson, Internet Explorer... it's no longer a one or two horse show anymore.

I have a 2003 Carvin DC400A and a 2008 CT6. I can honestly say that since I started playing those guitars, I have never really GAS'ed for another guitar (okay, except maybe a really nice Tele). The figured tops are amazing and the necks are even better. I have never touched another guitar that played quite like my CT6 with tung oiled neck, ebony fretboard, and stainless frets.

Service is also good (via phone, e-mail may be another story) - when I ordered one of the guitars, I photoshopped a burst option that wasn't offered and they matched it for $50. Years later they started offering something very similar as "Deep Nightburst." :mrgreen

Only issues so far have been that the pickup toggle in the DC400A went out on me after 11 years and one of the solder joints in the shielding on the CT6 went bad, causing one of the pickups to sound funky. Really just minor maintenance stuff. Some people like to replace the pickups but I'm happy with the stock ones. The new Kiesel pickups do have my attention, though...

My next new guitar will almost definitely be a Kiesel as long as they don't sell out. I can't imagine paying $5k and up for a Fender or Gibson when Carvin/Kiesel can match the quality of those instruments while still providing a lot of customization options. The only downside to this all (Fractal included) is that pawn shops and music stores do absolutely nothing for me anymore.

My DC145 is a custom finish - "Lagoon Burst" - I sent in a picture of the finish. Outstanding job of duplicating the finish from a photo. Tung oil necks & SS frets are the way to go!!

Get a 5 piece neck, too (particularly if you get the awesome, smooth-as-silk tung oil back of neck option). And watch those Wilky trems.

Get a 5 piece neck, too (particularly if you get the awesome, smooth-as-silk tung oil back of neck option). And watch those Wilky trems.

The Wilky trem definitely has it's problems but it's not a bad trem considering the cost. I'm still going to change out the one I have for a FRP just hasn't been a top priority.

The Kiesel models on the website are similar in price to the Carvin models. It's when you get into the "Kiesel Edition" stuff that you're shelling out the bucks. From what I understand, you work with Jeff Keisel from the start and throughout the build process. The list is pretty long - the joke on the Carvin BBS is that you have to get on the "waiting list for the waiting list".

I did not know this but it makes sense I haven't been over to the Carvin board in a while guess I need to venture over there and see whats up.

Yea some of there stuff is crap. But I got a 2014 Les Paul Traditional from Sweetwater for roughly $2,500 last year. The guitar is everything I remember about a great Les Paul I played when I was a kid...maybe I got lucky or just don't remember that well anymore...

I did not know this but it makes sense I haven't been over to the Carvin board in a while guess I need to venture over there and see whats up.
I was told 7 month wait list for a Kiesel Edition. It starts at 2K + normal guitar price and goes up from there. The regular guitars they make are top notch. If you value playing more than the looks then save your money and get a regular one made. I am waiting for a Vader with sunset burst burl maple top and a V7 in McLaren yellow (matte). I should be set after that, I hope :)

I've used Carvins for decades. No interest in Gibson. I'd sooner play an Ibanez, PRS, Yamaha, Schecter, etc. I'd love to try a Kiesel, but I just don't need another guitar.

I was told 7 month wait list for a Kiesel Edition. It starts at 2K + normal guitar price and goes up from there. The regular guitars they make are top notch. If you value playing more than the looks then save your money and get a regular one made. I am waiting for a Vader with sunset burst burl maple top and a V7 in McLaren yellow (matte). I should be set after that, I hope :)

Their sunset burst is beautiful. I've seen some "option 50" finishes that substitute the blackburst edge with a sunset burst edge.

Back
Top Bottom