Gibson es-339 question?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, I have always wanted one of these just never did it. I think I am ready now but one important issue between models I am not quite up on.
The only difference i could find between the $3,500 and $2,900 Besides the "ACTUAL LOOK", which I do NOT care about at all) is this:
Body MaterialAAA Maple/Poplar3-ply Maple/Poplar
I am only interested in sound, not appearance and TBH I do NOT like the blocks, never have liked that look.
I know wood is important but I still wanted to ask.
Thanks for any input!

Greg, So is it just the "finish" mainly and not the quality of the wood itself?
No, it's not the finish, it's supposed to be the same quality finish either way. It's the grain in the wood that affects the aesthetics, otherwise they're pretty much the same sort of finish.

My friend Rick, who built my Gecko Tele, has a gorgeous Tangerine Burst 339. I tried to buy it when he moved in with his SIL and daughter, but he wasn't interested in selling it....

When I tried a 339 it felt like a les paul body wise and to me sounded like one too. So if you like les pauls theres a high chance you’ll like a 339.

I asked for an Epiphone 339 from my wife because I wanted to try a semi-hollow, didn't want a boat sized 335, and didn't want to jump in with both feet straight into a Gibson without knowing if I'd even like a hollow body. It ended up being my main gigging guitar for a couple of years due to it's versatility with coil splits and ability to really cover a wide range of tonal ground. Plus it's super light to play standing up for long periods.

I know you likely want a Gibson but if you can't find one locally an Epi will at least give you an idea on shape, size, weight, neck dive, etc. before you pull the trigger on a Gibson from afar and potentially end up with an 'aw hell no' situation.

I asked for an Epiphone 339 from my wife because I wanted to try a semi-hollow, didn't want a boat sized 335, and didn't want to jump in with both feet straight into a Gibson without knowing if I'd even like a hollow body. It ended up being my main gigging guitar for a couple of years due to it's versatility with coil splits and ability to really cover a wide range of tonal ground. Plus it's super light to play standing up for long periods.

I know you likely want a Gibson but if you can't find one locally an Epi will at least give you an idea on shape, size, weight, neck dive, etc. before you pull the trigger on a Gibson from afar and potentially end up with an 'aw hell no' situation.
Honestly, I have looked quite a bit at the epi 339's. I am not a wealthy person by any stretch of the imagination but the price for these is SMALL.
Thanks for the idea-it's a good one!

I tried the Epiphone 339 (also because 335 is too big) but ended up preferring the PRS Hollowbody SE. If for you it doesn't have to be a Gibson there are several other similar size guitars along the same lines as a 339.

I was thinking about the PRS Hollowbodies, too, because of the size. But, they're fully hollow and don't quite sound the same as a semi-hollow 339. Still, they're great guitars and very comfortable to play, less prone to feedback than a 330, closer to a semi-hollow in that regard.

I was thinking about the PRS Hollowbodies, too, because of the size. But, they're fully hollow and don't quite sound the same as a semi-hollow 339. Still, they're great guitars and very comfortable to play, less prone to feedback than a 330, closer to a semi-hollow in that regard.
In addition to their hollowbodies, PRS has several semi-hollow body guitars in the SE, S2 and core ranges. I have the core Special Semi-Hollow, which, with its tapped pickups, nicely covers Strat and Les Paul-ish sounds. It's just a little sweetheart of a guitar.

Eastman has a 339 style too i think? Incredible bargain on the used market imo - i had their T-486 and it was a nice guitar.

I've tried about five tines to bond with 335 style guitars because I love the look and so many songs I like were played on them, but couldn't. Some relationships just weren't meant to be.

Back
Top Bottom