Gibson "demo" shop?

Justincase

Power User
I've seen Gibson has been pushing their "demo" shop pretty hard lately. As far as I can tell this is mainly just a REWORK shop for the massive amount of QC escapes they've had. Sure, sure, there are some artist demos they push through here as well. Honestly, I don't trust or respect the Gibson company after the whole play authentic BS, crushing thousands of guitars with a track hoe, or how they treat mom and pop music stores. Not to mention legally going after other reputable guitar makers. Fender doesn't pull that crap.

Just seems like putting lipstick on pigs, polishing turds...or B-stock at best. Wouldn't a more accurate name be BLEMO SHOP.
Am I wrong? IDK...

Last edited:
I just bought a "demo" Les Paul from their Reverb shop a couple of days ago. I'll post a NGD after it arrives and let folks know how it works out - both the guitar and the transaction

Are these anything more than reworked B-stock guitars? And is the pricing discounted enough? Just seems like "demo" is lip service.

Seems to be the exact same thing as their 'factory seconds' from the old days.
Nothing wrong with it, if the discount is decent. Trust me, I have my dislike of many new Gibson...but you can also find a good one.
Good way to get a guitar at a discount that is going to get bumped anyway (at least that's what happens to mine).
@secondwindow - interested to hear how yours turns out.

To me the fact that they stamp them DEMO, instead of just selling as is, means they should be discounted heavier. Taking $200 off a guitar for something you will lose resale on if you don't like it isn't worth it to me. Obviously they are selling them, so not everyone shares that concern.

To me the fact that they stamp them DEMO, instead of just selling as is, means they should be discounted heavier. Taking $200 off a guitar for something you will lose resale on if you don't like it isn't worth it to me. Obviously they are selling them, so not everyone shares that concern.
200 dollars off? That's it? I wonder if they document the blem? Ibanez B-stock guitars from Ibanez rulze.com the guy clearly states what the factory blem tag says. I.e. burn thru, crack, finish flaw, ECT.

200 dollars off? That's it? I wonder if they document the blem? Ibanez B-stock guitars from Ibanez rulze.com the guy clearly states what the factory blem tag says. I.e. burn thru, crack, finish flaw, ECT.

At the time, I was looking at SGs, as I always kind of wanted one, but that seemed to be the discount at the time. Maybe more on an LP, or maybe it depends on what's been done to it or changed. I felt I could do better on the regular used market, and at least the guitar didn't have the DEMO stigma stamped into it.

I didn't follow through with any of it, because after thinking about it, I've sold every Gibson I've ever bought. I have none right now. I have keepers, and they never seem to be it. I'll stick with my Charvels, Ibanez, ESP, Jacksons, etc. I've been wanting another Explorer as well, but I think I'm going to pick up a Ibanez Destroyer instead.

At the time, I was looking at SGs, as I always kind of wanted one, but that seemed to be the discount at the time. Maybe more on an LP, or maybe it depends on what's been done to it or changed. I felt I could do better on the regular used market, and at least the guitar didn't have the DEMO stigma stamped into it.

I didn't follow through with any of it, because after thinking about it, I've sold every Gibson I've ever bought. I have none right now. I have keepers, and they never seem to be it. I'll stick with my Charvels, Ibanez, ESP, Jacksons, etc. I've been wanting another Explorer as well, but I think I'm going to pick up a Ibanez Destroyer instead.
I hear ya. Any Gibson I've ever had or played just wouldnt stay in tune with my playing style. I just stick to japanese Ibanez RGs now...my edge and edge pro terms hold perfect tune no matter what. In fact the only time the high e goes out is just before it's ready to break. Just hard to beat the impeccable quality on a mij Ibby.

I received the guitar I purchased from Gibson's Reverb shop a few days ago. It's a 2016 Les Paul Standard T in Desert Burst.

I've had a chance inspect it thoroughly and have about 6 hours of play time on it.

Pre-sale, Gibson answered all my questions quickly. I asked about shipping method, warranty, and if there was anything thing I should know about the guitar before purchasing. I asked those questions in separate emails. Different people replied, but always promptly.

The guitar was well packed for shipment and arrived safely.

A full sheet inspection checklist was included. Everything shown there was in the Reverb listing.

The guitar is exactly as they described and I could find no other issues. The guitar was setup well and I've had no inclination to adjust the trussrod or string height - it's not too high and there's no string buzz, cutting out when bending, or dead notes anywhere on the fretboard.

The guitar serial number is "... 666". Gibson did not disclose that the guitar might be possessed. I'll be disappointed if I have to pay for an exorcism out of pocket. ;-]

So, my experience with Gibson's Reverb "demo" shop was very positive and the guitar is a keeper.

Attachments

• 20210604_152306.jpg
    20210604_152306.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210528_121233.jpg
    20210528_121233.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom