Gibson buying Mesa?

I’ve played Boogies since 79. Sent Randall Smith $2600 and waited 9 months for delivery.

Ended up with a couple of Triaxs and a couple 2:90s. And then Fractal Audio came along.

I’d be real upset if I thought I’d ever need a Mesa Boogie ever again.

They didn’t kill it, they just sold it to someone for whom its dev cost is a rounding error: https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk, so it’s now free. I do agree with your second point. They don’t know how to run this business, and are too stupid to learn from Fender, which is absolutely crushing it and building up its already legendary brand to god status.
OK, your right about not killing it, they sold it.. But before (right before) they sold it they sold us $99 to $`199 lifetime licenses? what would you call that? I was there. Been a CW user since the late 80's.

I just hope this doesn’t mean the M/B brand is going to crash and burn in the future.
Totally agree with the FAS post; there's a time to leave things where they are, and not to wait getting too old to profit from your labour. Hoping that Mesa will remain in the business as, even though I only owned some of their rack preamps and long ago, their equipment just is top notch and great sounding.

Leon Todd's @2112 last Q/A I thought had some useful perspectives on this, mainly that if Mesa stuff was as widely distributed as Gibson it wouldn't be a bad thing. And also that we'll have to wait and see if they trash it, and hope they don't.

Leon Todd's @2112 last Q/A I thought had some useful perspectives on this, mainly that if Mesa stuff was as widely distributed as Gibson it wouldn't be a bad thing. And also that we'll have to wait and see if they trash it, and hope they don't.

Yeah, I guess this means that we'll start seeing Mesa stuff at Guitar Center / Musician's Friend.

But what did Cliff say before? Fractal looks at quality not quantity. So hope Gibson has that same mind set but by their history mesa will turn in to trash.

Maybe he is totally right, maybe not, but his videos make my cortisol spike.
Right there with you.

I'm sure he has a lot of accurate things to say; I just find myself unable (well...more like unwilling) to listen to him saying it.

Different strokes.

By which I mean, I may not be one of them, but I'm sure there are those who actually like absorbing information from someone who sounds like he's on the verge of stroking out. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess this means that we'll start seeing Mesa stuff at Guitar Center / Musician's Friend.

Did they stop selling at GC's? I barely step foot in there anymore and generally beeline straight for what I need and GTFO immediately before another uninformed salesperson tries to sell me an Ibanez GIO when all I want is a pack of strings.

I just hope Randall laid out some conditions before signing it over. IE- Gibson's R&D is not allowed ANYWHERE near the Mesa plant.

Here's your new Dual Rec with robot knobs! Don't turn them yourself though, they'll fall off, use the app.

Did they stop selling at GC's? I barely step foot in there anymore and generally beeline straight for what I need and GTFO immediately before another uninformed salesperson tries to sell me an Ibanez GIO when all I want is a pack of strings.

Mesa cut ties with GC/MF years ago due to payment issues. GC wanted gear from Mesa but allegedly GC had a hard time paying the invoices.

Last edited:
Mesa cut ties with GC/MF years ago due to payment issues. GC wanted gear from Mesa but allegedly GC had a hard time paying the invoices.

Ahhh, goes to show how quickly I run in and out of there! I remember back in the late 90's/early 00's I had to seek out a GC just to play through a Mesa.

Well I mean it would make a change. They normally acquire bad ideas and run them into the ground. At least when they run Mesa into the ground they wont have that excuse.
Yeah, their smartest play is to just let Mesa be as an autonomous company under the Gibson umbrella. Having spent 15 years in corporate America though, even if this happens (which is rare, usually M&A look for “synergies” and fire a bunch of people whose function they don’t fully understand), it doesn’t last for long. Eventually the old boys network from the parent company moves in and massacres the previous management to replace it with themselves and their cronies. Good people leave shortly thereafter. I’ve yet to see any exceptions to this. So Mesa as we know it today will be allowed to continue for a couple of years, and then it will rapidly crap out due to the factors outlined above.

Eventually the old boys network from the parent company moves in and massacres the previous management to replace it with themselves and their cronies. Good people leave shortly thereafter. I’ve yet to see any exceptions to this.
This is spot-on, and as predictions go, I think your timeline is a good bet.

What a shame that Gibson can't be bought out by investors interested in restoring the brand, and then put some dream team in charge of making that happen. But until they drive themselves fully into the ditch, I expect they'll remain too expensive for that to make sense.

So they remain a kind of free radical in the system, taking other brands out as they thrash around.

Back
Top Bottom