Gibby blows off NAMM.

a 10x10 booth is $3000

$30 a square foot

FENDER's booth is 15,000 square feet

Do the math...

Not to mention the fixtures and shipping and staff

Some companies spend 7 figures at namm...
and here's a secret- they think they get their money out of it... but they don't.

But are they going to get their money out of showing up at CES? Dunno what that's about...

a 10x10 booth is $3000

$30 a square foot

Do the math...

and here's a secret- they think they get their money out of it... but they don't.
Brands like Fender aren't paying the list price. NAMM would need their presence almost as much as the inverse.

It's probably the best financial decision Gibson can make at this point. Don't use a huge public forum like NAMM to piss off as many people as possible all at once with yet another yearly crop of insultingly poor product design decisions.

Let people discover them slowly so the whole internet doesn't blow up all at once over how terrible and incompetent Gibson is being again.

The world has changed. Trade shows, magazines, brick & mortar stores, etc. are relics of the pre-internet age. The present and future is delivering the information electronically.
As lots of deals go by the internet and more and more local shops are closing down, I tend to think that such events are one of the few occasions where future buyers can touch and hear the equipment before deciding their choice. Why would I be wrong ? (BTW, I also am pre-internet lol)

NAMM is a thousand companies, all clamoring for your attention. Every NAMM video you ever saw is the same thing: a company rep, breathlessly explaining how super-cool their latest product is to some guy with a microphone who’s enthusiastically eating up every word, accompanied by the oppressive background noise created by a thousand other people doing the exact same thing. No one’s going to buy a Les Paul because they saw one at NAMM.

Trade shows are exhausting and expensive for everyone involved.

Have you seen Fractal’s NAMM booth? Of course you haven’t. Because there isn’t one. ;)

a 10x10 booth is $3000

$30 a square foot

Do the math...

Disagree.

And to FAS's comment, you set up a live feed of your sponsored artist playing the new act, as well as put out a slew of posted video's...automatic advertising.

You don't need a Mansion like booth. Just a display area, and a demo area.

What did Gibby lose last year? Stoopid money. 50k for the opportunity to have large visibility is chump change to what it brings.

But the point is made to NAMM. The amount of money that they are demanding is outrageous. They may price themselves out of relevance.

I'm just glad I bought a vintage Gibson Les Paul Custom before Gibson took its extreme nose dive!

I think we can all see the writing on the wall? Gibson's days are numbered.
They simply cannot remain relevant and command their exorbitant prices with their QC utterly in the shitter, in favor of shoddy workmanship and serious upper mismanagement.

Namm 2018 is the least of Gibson's problems.

Back
Top Bottom