Ghost musicians on "famous" recordings

stm113

Power User
My interest in ghost musicians has been peaked because I'm a huge Kiss fan and have been discussing lately what leads Ace probably did or didn't do.

I've read that Dan Huff actually played the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine, which makes sense to my ears because that's awefully clean for Slash.

Anyone know for sure of ghost musicians on "popular" recordings?

Just about all of the guests on All Things Must Pass were uncredited on the album until Harrison released the commemorative edition CD in the fancy box. They weren't able to list them because they hadn't been cleared for guest appearances by their labels.

Wikipedia lists the guests as "believed to be" because we still don't know with complete certainty: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Things_Must_Pass_(song)#Personnel

I think most people don't know that this is Jimmy Page....

I can think of a billion more examples- let me think of some good ones

Carol was part of the now infamous "Wrecking Crew". If you are not familiar with the name, you ARE familiar with their work.

The Wrecking Crew documentary that came out a few years ago is pretty good, worth checking out if you haven’t seen it.

My former NM homeboy Tim Pierce is one of those LA session musicians most people haven't heard of, but they've heard his playing. Credits include: Crowded House, Christina Aguilera, Seal, Avril Lavigne, Tracy Chapman, Joe Cocker, Ricky Martin, Meat Loaf, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Rob Thomas, Rick Springfield, Phil Collins, Madonna, Toy Matinee, Don Henley, Santana, Rascal Flatts, Chris Isaak, Jewel, Faith Hill, Celine Dion, Dave Matthews Band, John Legend, Gavin Degraw, Mika, Carolina Liar, Goo Goo Dolls, Uncle Kracker, Josh Groban, Mylie Cyrus, Demi Lovato, David Cook, Adam Lambert, Daniel Powter, Kris Allen, Jack’s Mannequin, The Band Perry, Shinedown, Jason Mraz, Kelly Clarkson, Il Volo, Lana Del Ray, Gloriana, Colbie Caillat, and many others.

Cozy Powell used to make some serious coin ghost playing on several hair metal band albums.

Bruce Babbitt played the bass on the studio track Love Gun and several other Kiss songs.

Dick Wagner also played on several Kiss studio tracks on guitar in addition to working with Alice Cooper.

Bob Daisley played bass on most of the Ozzy albums and ghost wrote songs along with whoever Oz had as a guitar player for session work.

Jimmy Page is on so many recordings he can't remember them all. He was after all one of (if not THE) busiest studio musicians ever before he joined the Yardbirds.

Back
Top Bottom