ghost fizz

While it's clear as day on these sound samples, I'm not hearing it with my patches. I've DL's Singtall's presets and will try them when I get a chance...probably not till tomorrow.

I agree that it sounds like loads (yes, loads, that's not an exaggeration) of crossover distortion.
I don't think it's crossover distortion. My experience with crossover distortion is that it's constant, regardless of signal level. It only fades when the signal decays to inaudibility. As the (non-clipping) signal gets smaller, crossover distortion becomes more prominent, not less.

This is actually something I've also noticed. I'm pretty much an all-knobs-to-11 kind of guitarist, so I usually don't use my amps like this.

You can really hear it in this example:

https://soundcloud.com/sockpuppet123/ghost-fizz

I've also noticed that playing around with the power tube bias does help slightly.

i've never heard anything close to that come out of my Axe....maybe the unit is defective.

I don't think it's crossover distortion. My experience with crossover distortion is that it's constant, regardless of signal level. It only fades when the signal decays to inaudibility. As the (non-clipping) signal gets smaller, crossover distortion becomes more prominent, not less.

That is what I was getting with this patch. As the signal decayed it became more audible, as you roll down the volume it becomes more audible. When I increased the power tube bias, it decreased. That being said, it was nowhere close to what singtail was getting with his patches (see my posts of the clips with his patches).

i've never heard anything close to that come out of my Axe....maybe the unit is defective.

But we never had this problem until v10.00 came out (I didn't anyway). I really don't think all of our Axe-Fx's became defected with the same problem at the same time. :?

But we never had this problem until v10.00 came out (I didn't anyway). I really don't think all of our Axe-Fx's became defected with the same problem at the same time. :?

yeah i understand that, but it's weird that some get it and some dont.

i still wonder if the it's a combo of high output pups and high preamp gain with cold biasing in the power section. that one clip that i quoted is crazy, never heard anything remotely close to that.

i'm not doubting what you guys are hearing, just saying I haven't shared that experience.

That is what I was getting with this patch. As the signal decayed it became more audible, as you roll down the volume it becomes more audible. When I increased the power tube bias, it decreased.
That's not what I heard in your clip. As you strummed out the arpeggio, you could hear the distorion. Then you let the strings ring out and start to decay, and the distortion melted away. That's distortion on the saturation side, not the crossover side.

That's not what I heard in your clip. As you strummed out the arpeggio, you could hear the distorion. Then you let the strings ring out and start to decay, and the distortion melted away. That's distortion on the saturation side, not the crossover side.
I think it is appearing that way because of how far I have my volume control turned down. the input drive on that patch is all the way up. If I turn up my volume control the distortion stays pretty constant. have you tried the patch?

this problem has really pissed on my axe-fx parade. i hope someone can figure it out.

i will try tinkering with an eq before the amp to see if a can roll off some highs/lows and maybe boost mids and see if that changes the distortion.

I went through every setting and amp model again....no joy. tried new battery in the EMG equipped guitar...still the same. tried passive pickup guitars....better, but it's still there.

i didn't notice it as bad before because i got Lace pickups about the same time that i bought the axe-fx II. those pickups were very low volume....like single coil volume. it appears that high gain pickups sound like crap even when the guitar volume is rolled back and the amp gain is reduced. truly a bummer.

i'm gonna give up for tonight because this makes me want to sell the axe-fx. the eleven rack does the same thing, but only slightly.....i could live with it using passive pickups. i may ditch the EMG's.

i really need to sleep on it before making a bad decision.

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem from the beginning.
There is a kind of "fizz" just after the attack of the note and more audible leaving the note "sound".
I never get to take it off, and that, whatever the improvements and new firmware
i apologize if this has been covered a million times before but.....

when i roll back my guitar volume control there is a kind of high end distortion/ghost crap going on. it happens on every amp model that i've tried. what i'm shooting for is that EVH roll the volume back to clean up thing. the plexi amp model really makes this distorted thing happen a lot. i tried downloading the EVH plexi preset that Cliff made about a month or so ago and i hear the same thing with it also. i tried other guitars, cables, and IR's just to be sure of what i was hearing.

and yes, i can post a clip of what i'm talking about.

any/all help would be appreciated.

I think it is appearing that way because of how far I have my volume control turned down. the input drive on that patch is all the way up. If I turn up my volume control the distortion stays pretty constant. have you tried the patch?
Yeah, I do hear it become prominent at lower volume. It's still there at high volume/gain, but masked by the rest of the signal. It seems to fade to nothing before the signal decays completely, and that's why I'm not sure it's crossover distortion.

I´d like to try that patch. Never had that before... Strange

This was just something I mocked up real quick, so I don't think I saved it. But I can do another one, it's not that hard to reproduce. I did also notice that I forgot to turn the limiter off in my DAW as I was exporting this, so it might be slightly more prominent in my clip.

I'll post a patch as soon as possible :)

Back
Top Bottom