ghost fizz

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Singtall presets.zip

it happens on all of my presets, regardless of pickups and cab selection. i normally don't use a mic either. i tried all of the amp settings including "ideal" and none clear it up.

the worse offender is the "singtall plexi crunch" preset. any cranked master volume makes the problem worse.

i have mic'd up a number of tube amps and never heard that kind of fizz. i just tried the same guitars on two different tube heads and the ghost fizz just isn't there at all. i tried the same guitars on a digitech rp1000 and a eleven rack and i don't hear it there either.

i hope its a simple setting to fix it.

some of my real amps (I have about a dozen tube amps) do it more than others, granted none as bad you clip.
Turn up the power tube bias all the way up, it should reduce it significantly.

I've noticed it too, but I wouldn't call it 'fizz'. It's more of a 'crackle' to me, much like a little distorted signal bleeding through. It's definitely more pronounced now than in earlier firmwares.

I took the preset mentioned and initialized the amp, then reset all of the values to the original. It got a lot better but it didn't totally vanish.

Strange, I am getting it (as expected), but not near as bad as you.
Here is your singtail plexi crunch patch with the volume rolled down.

I've noticed it too, but I wouldn't call it 'fizz'. It's more of a 'crackle' to me, much like a little distorted signal bleeding through. It's definitely more pronounced now than in earlier firmwares.

I took the preset mentioned and initialized the amp, then reset all of the values to the original. It got a lot better but it didn't totally vanish.

exactly

Strange, I am getting it (as expected), but not near as bad as you.
Here is your singtail plexi crunch patch with the volume rolled down.

I think mine may not show it as much because you use a user cab in that patch
My user cab slot is VERY likely different.

Last edited:
Just an FYI (not that it matters in that preset), but in general if you are not using the global noise gate, turn the threshold all the way down. It will complete turn off the gate and gain a couple of cpu % points.
Since you are using a gate block in that preset and you, wisely, turned the compression ratio to 1 on the global block; it is not doing anything. Turning the threshold down all the way will do the same thing but gain you some CPU if needed.

Make sure your input gate is not on, this can cause some strange stuff to happen when you roll back the volume. That being said, no problems with rolling back on my end. Sounds quite realistic to what a real amp would do IMHO.

I hear two diff types of distortion/fizz here. One sounds normal with a gainy amp/vol turned down. The other fizz I hear sounds a bit like digital distortion like you are overloading your audio input on your computer.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5622773/Singtall presets.zip

it happens on all of my presets, regardless of pickups and cab selection. i normally don't use a mic either. i tried all of the amp settings including "ideal" and none clear it up.

the worse offender is the "singtall plexi crunch" preset. any cranked master volume makes the problem worse.

i have mic'd up a number of tube amps and never heard that kind of fizz. i just tried the same guitars on two different tube heads and the ghost fizz just isn't there at all. i tried the same guitars on a digitech rp1000 and a eleven rack and i don't hear it there either.

i hope its a simple setting to fix it.

Having had *numerous* modded Marshalls and others over the years, this is a normal by product of hot pickups and high gain - and listening to the original clip you posted it sounds pretty normal... Things that are real important with guitar pickups are pickup height and pole piece adjustment as well as pickup strength. It seems that so many people out there overlook those items, just throw a hot pickup in their guitar and adjust it as close to the strings as possible. Hot puckups are not all created equal - some winders achieve the result with fewer windings and more powerful magnets and others with more windings and less powerful magnets. Different magnet structure and magnet types in pickups play a huge roll in how the pickup reacts with the amp and where the pickup needs to sit in relation to the strings to work best - especially in those situations where you are trying to get some dynamics out of a pickup. I have always found that ceramic magnet pickups vary wildy with where they work best - some like to be fairly close to the strings and others quite far. Alnico's always seem to like to be further from the strings. The cool thing about getting your pickup height optimized is that it's much more controllable with the volume control on the guitar. If you also have pole pieces (and not bars or rails), you can further dial in weak or strong strings. You simply might not really notice improperly adjusted pickups under high gain / full tilt settings until you are trying to achieve that "roll-back / clean-up" element.

Additionally, over the years a lot of amp makers out there have dropped in capacitors across the plate resistor in the gain stages further down the chain to minimize "fizz". So just because you don't hear it in a tube amp that you you may access to doesn't really matter - it may be dialed out as part of the amp design.

Just my .02 based on a lot of trial and error over the years...

i'm going to try tweaking some more knobs and see what i can come up with. right now, i will end up switching presets instead of rolling back my guitar volume...which will be weird after playing the way i do for 25+ years.

i'm going to try tweaking some more knobs and see what i can come up with. right now, i will end up switching presets instead of rolling back my guitar volume...which will be weird after playing the way i do for 25+ years.
Funny how that ghost fizz wasn't in the Ultra.......

I have the Axe FX II with FW 9.02 and I have it as well.
Not nearly as bad as others with the more recent FW but I notice if I sit too close to my computer keyboard/monitor the noise will increase. If I face the opposite direction, away from my PC, no noise.

So I guess that could be a problem?
I'm sure there are benefits to modeling the crossover distortion and not?
You guys are way smarter than I.

Back
Top Bottom