GGD: Studio Cabs

We already have a great IR mixer in the Axe. I might rather just import a bunch of the raw impulses and mix on the fly like with other collections. There's a lot in there though; by my unofficial count, 9 cabs x 8 speakers x 7 mics x 2 positions = 1008 IRs, plus room stuff I think.

Anyone compared this soundwise to the ML Mikko plugin? This is a better value numerically, and they each have different approaches, but it's interesting that two packages in this general area arrived so close together.

I think the ability of the Mikko plugin to move mics around is a feature worth having. This is the one point of improvement I'd suggest for the @York Audio and @Valhallir packs as well, which I'm otherwise huge fans of - brightness variations do make sense, especially when used with amps whose response and feel changes with tone stack tweaks. You can't simply reduce say, the treble or bass in an amp where the tone stack interacts with gain structure and feel, because then you may lose some of the feel variables that you've dialled in. I remember an Eric Valentine video talking about this, where he talked about using brighter amp settings and darker mic positions while micing Slash's cabs for an album, because the feel and response and playability of the amp was simply preferable with the tone stack dialled in that way.

This is something that's hard or perhaps not possible when an IR pack or cab app doesn't give you brightness variations. You could instead insert an EQ block, but it won't be the exact same thing, and what if you're out of blocks on your platform of choice?

Last edited:
I think the ability of the Mikko plugin to move mics around is a feature worth having. This is the one point of improvement I'd suggest for the @York Audio and @Valhallir packs as well, which I'm otherwise huge fans of - brightness variations do make sense, especially when used with amps whose response and feel changes with tone stack tweaks. You can't simply reduce say, the treble or bass in an amp where the tone stack interacts with gain structure and feel, because then you may lose some of the feel variables that you've dialled in. I remember an Eric Valentine video talking about this, where he talked about using brighter amp settings and darker mic positions while micing Slash's cabs for an album, because the feel and response and playability of the amp was simply preferable with the tone stack dialled in that way.

This is something that's hard or perhaps not possible when an IR pack or cab app doesn't give you brightness variations. You could instead insert an EQ block, but it won't be the exact same thing, and what if you're out of blocks on your platform of choice?
I wanted to comment on this a little bit. The kind of architecture that's behind the MIKKO is super advanced. Just think about the amount of IR's that need to be captured for it to function the way it does and the kind of algos that need to calculate mic position in 3D space - every virtual mic is always calculating between 8 impulse responses so f.ex. when you have the full 9 mics activated the MIKKO plugin has 72 IR's loaded and it can do it with latency so low that you can play through it. I'm actually friends with the GGD guys and we've talked about both our plugins together before either one was lauched and we intentionally took them to different directions knowing what we were both working on. MIKKO is the serious/geeky total control plugin with endless options while GGD is more about what their slogan is "Focus on your creativity and let us handle the engineering". Nolly is an engineering mastermind and we geek out on this stuff in private messages all the time. I don't speak for GGD but I believe their aim was not to create another MIKKO but to give "their tone" to people who want it. What an awesome time it is to be a guitar player!

For anyone wondering, as of 1.1 all you need to do is re-render the Zilla export as mono. The length is shorter than ML cabs I compared it to but it does export in stereo so you just need to split the track into mono (only one side will have the IR) and just use the mono track with max IR length in Axe FX. Works perfectly besides that.

For anyone wondering, as of 1.1 all you need to do is re-render the Zilla export as mono. The length is shorter than ML cabs I compared it to but it does export in stereo so you just need to split the track into mono (only one side will have the IR) and just use the mono track with max IR length in Axe FX. Works perfectly besides that.
Thanks for the info!

I bought it. The plugin sounds great and the IRs are definitely high quality BUT in my experience, its not so straightforward to load the IRs created into the Axe Fx or even Helix (I have no personal experience with other things like Kemper etc). You currently cannot just export the file from GGD in a format that can be imported into the Axe fx 2 or 3. If you do just export and put the file into Manage Cabs, Fractalbot, or Cablab, you will not have any audio output with that IR selected. There actually is a bit of legwork you as the end user have to do of you want to use these with your Axe Fx or even CabLab 3.

1. Once you make a mix or find a preset you like, you need to export it to a location on your computer (you pick the destination)

2. Load the exported .wav IR and a .wav IR you know works in the Fractal into a DAW

3. Cut the GGD IR to be the same length as the Other IR

4. Apply a short fade (5-10 ms) to the GGD IRs

5. Export the file from your DAW in mono or an interleaved stereo file (honestly, I don't know what this is or the use case for it, buts something you can do)

6. Convert/import this new, edited .wav into your Axe using whatever your preferred method (Fractalbot, CabLab, or Manage Cabs in Axe Edit)

I'm not an audio wiz or a master when it comes to the differences in .wav files/formats, so all this info is straight from their support team. They say the reason for this is the .wavs IR manufacturers are using in their equivilent "Fractal" folder are already truncated properly for our unit (which makes sense to me), so we just have to make the adjustments to the GGD files to make them match. If thats something you are totally okay with, these IRs do sound great, though I've honestly just resigned to using it as a plugin like CabLab 3 as i personally think its a bit of a hassle to do this for each IR. Hopefully they add export options in the future that will allow simple import to other devices. For what its worth, other people have reported that the exported files from GGD do work with other 3rd party loaders such as NadIR and the like, but I don't use those and thus did not test this myself.

You are adding about 7 extra steps. I build an IR patch I want, export to .wav. open AXE edit(manage cabs drop down menu) then drag the IR I designed right to where I want it and click "auto audition." If I'm satisfied, I click save.

You are adding about 7 extra steps. I build an IR patch I want, export to .wav. open AXE edit(manage cabs drop down menu) then drag the IR I designed right to where I want it and click "auto audition." If I'm satisfied, I click save.
Does anyone want to explain why you'd be trimming IRs or any of those other levels of madness? The way I do it sounds perfectly awesome so I'm wondering what I'm missing out on.

Does anyone want to explain why you'd be trimming IRs or any of those other levels of madness? The way I do it sounds perfectly awesome so I'm wondering what I'm missing out on.
On the older version of MacOS, for whatever reason, the IRs weren't automatically converted right by Manage Cabs, so I (and lots of others at launch if you check their facebook forum) were unable to import the files. After updating, Axe edit was enough to import them, but prior to updating my computer i reached out to GGD and that was the solution they gave me, stating that their files are too long and need to be trimmed before importing to get them working. On the Helix, you still need to do this process of trimming since their editor doesn't automatically trim the file.

Tbh, I still don't completely understand it or if theres a benefit to trimming it for use with the Axe fx, but i'd bet there isn't. If using a Helix though, i'm pretty sure its a necessity (but i haven't really used mine in a few months now, so that could have changed too).

Last edited:
Hey,

I was just wondering what all of you use in the Axe Edit settings under IR-Processing. None, auto trim or min phase?

I see this thread has been necro'd and I had a question of my own, hopefully someone here can answer.

I'm trying to get the setup Misha is using here:

The way I understand this is as follows:
Guitar > Axe fx > computer > GGD Zilla Cabs > speakers out.

I can figure out how to save an IR preset with GGD Zilla and then load it as an IR in Axe Edit, but that's kind of a hassle when it comes to actually making an IR and figuring out what's good. Is there a way I can run my Axe Fx signal directly through GGD Zilla Cabs so I can tweak both on the fly?

Using the ASIO settings in GGD Zilla I was able to get some sound from my Axe Fx, but the problem is, I'm simultaneously hearing my Axe Fx's uncabbed sound which makes it sound like a can of wasps. I'm sure you know what I mean, the amp without a cab sound... You'd think there's just a simple video on their website showing how to set up this routing, but I haven't found it yet. There is of course the possibility that I'm being a dummy, and am missing something obvious... if so, feel free to shame me :)

I see this thread has been necro'd and I had a question of my own, hopefully someone here can answer.

I'm trying to get the setup Misha is using here:

The way I understand this is as follows:
Guitar > Axe fx > computer > GGD Zilla Cabs > speakers out.

I can figure out how to save an IR preset with GGD Zilla and then load it as an IR in Axe Edit, but that's kind of a hassle when it comes to actually making an IR and figuring out what's good. Is there a way I can run my Axe Fx signal directly through GGD Zilla Cabs so I can tweak both on the fly?

Using the ASIO settings in GGD Zilla I was able to get some sound from my Axe Fx, but the problem is, I'm simultaneously hearing my Axe Fx's uncabbed sound which makes it sound like a can of wasps. I'm sure you know what I mean, the amp without a cab sound... You'd think there's just a simple video on their website showing how to set up this routing, but I haven't found it yet. There is of course the possibility that I'm being a dummy, and am missing something obvious... if so, feel free to shame me :)

How I do this is to route my presets so that Output 1 Left is the fully modeled guitar chain including cabinet and Output 1 R is everything before the cab. Additionally, I'm using both XLR and TRS versions of Output 1 R to feed the cab-less signal to both my DAW and a power amp+guitar cab, respectively.

Back
Top Bottom