GGD: Studio Cabs

Anyone pick this plugin up yet? Looks/sounds rad and you can export an IR blend once you've found a sound you like. So, then you can toss it into Cab Lab and roll with it in your unit.

I bought it. The plugin sounds great and the IRs are definitely high quality BUT in my experience, its not so straightforward to load the IRs created into the Axe Fx or even Helix (I have no personal experience with other things like Kemper etc). You currently cannot just export the file from GGD in a format that can be imported into the Axe fx 2 or 3. If you do just export and put the file into Manage Cabs, Fractalbot, or Cablab, you will not have any audio output with that IR selected. There actually is a bit of legwork you as the end user have to do of you want to use these with your Axe Fx or even CabLab 3.

1. Once you make a mix or find a preset you like, you need to export it to a location on your computer (you pick the destination)

2. Load the exported .wav IR and a .wav IR you know works in the Fractal into a DAW

3. Cut the GGD IR to be the same length as the Other IR

4. Apply a short fade (5-10 ms) to the GGD IRs

5. Export the file from your DAW in mono or an interleaved stereo file (honestly, I don't know what this is or the use case for it, buts something you can do)

6. Convert/import this new, edited .wav into your Axe using whatever your preferred method (Fractalbot, CabLab, or Manage Cabs in Axe Edit)

I'm not an audio wiz or a master when it comes to the differences in .wav files/formats, so all this info is straight from their support team. They say the reason for this is the .wavs IR manufacturers are using in their equivilent "Fractal" folder are already truncated properly for our unit (which makes sense to me), so we just have to make the adjustments to the GGD files to make them match. If thats something you are totally okay with, these IRs do sound great, though I've honestly just resigned to using it as a plugin like CabLab 3 as i personally think its a bit of a hassle to do this for each IR. Hopefully they add export options in the future that will allow simple import to other devices. For what its worth, other people have reported that the exported files from GGD do work with other 3rd party loaders such as NadIR and the like, but I don't use those and thus did not test this myself.

I bought it. The plugin sounds great and the IRs are definitely high quality BUT in my experience, its not so straightforward to load the IRs created into the Axe Fx or even Helix (I have no personal experience with other things like Kemper etc). You currently cannot just export the file from GGD in a format that can be imported into the Axe fx 2 or 3. If you do just export and put the file into Manage Cabs, Fractalbot, or Cablab, you will not have any audio output with that IR selected. There actually is a bit of legwork you as the end user have to do of you want to use these with your Axe Fx or even CabLab 3.

1. Once you make a mix or find a preset you like, you need to export it to a location on your computer (you pick the destination)

2. Load the exported .wav IR and a .wav IR you know works in the Fractal into a DAW

3. Cut the GGD IR to be the same length as the Other IR

4. Apply a short fade (5-10 ms) to the GGD IRs

5. Export the file from your DAW in mono or an interleaved stereo file (honestly, I don't know what this is or the use case for it, buts something you can do)

6. Convert/import this new, edited .wav into your Axe using whatever your preferred method (Fractalbot, CabLab, or Manage Cabs in Axe Edit)

I'm not an audio wiz or a master when it comes to the differences in .wav files/formats, so all this info is straight from their support team. They say the reason for this is the .wavs IR manufacturers are using in their equivilent "Fractal" folder are already truncated properly for our unit (which makes sense to me), so we just have to make the adjustments to the GGD files to make them match. If thats something you are totally okay with, these IRs do sound great, though I've honestly just resigned to using it as a plugin like CabLab 3 as i personally think its a bit of a hassle to do this for each IR. Hopefully they add export options in the future that will allow simple import to other devices. For what its worth, other people have reported that the exported files from GGD do work with other 3rd party loaders such as NadIR and the like, but I don't use those and thus did not test this myself.
Nice! I figured they’d sound awesome. And while the whole having to convert WAV to syx is kind of a bummer, having to cut and fade them on top of that certainly doesn’t save any time either. I wonder why you can’t just convert it to syx in Cab Lab and then you’re ready to go. What happened when you skipped that cut and fade step?

Nice! I figured they’d sound awesome. And while the whole having to convert WAV to syx is kind of a bummer, having to cut and fade them on top of that certainly doesn’t save any time either. I wonder why you can’t just convert it to syx in Cab Lab and then you’re ready to go. What happened when you skipped that cut and fade step?

Sorry about that. I mentioned it buts its kind of buried in that first paragraph. If you just convert to Syx via Cablab (or any other means) before all this cutting and fading, you get no audio output from the IR block in the unit when loading one of these IRs (both Axe fx and even Helix). To be honest though, I also had 1 IR i exported when initially testing the plugin convert/import into the Axe fx, but it sounded like it was just a room mic but awful (the room mics in the pack normally are fantastic), so that might have just been a weird, buggy isolated incident. All the same, i did tell their support about it as it was incredibly odd.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I mentioned it buts its kind of buried in that first paragraph. If you just convert to Syx via Cablab (or any other means) before all this cutting and fading, you get no audio output from the IR block in the unit when loading one of these IRs (both Axe fx and even Helix). To be honest though, I also had 1 IR i exported when initially testing the plugin convert/import into the Axe fx, but it sounded like it was just a room mic but awful (the room mics in the pack normally are fantastic), so that might have just been a weird, buggy isolated incident. All the same, i did tell their support about it as it was incredibly odd.
Huh. Well, that’s kind of a pain. I guess it wouldn’t be too big of a deal for me though because I mainly use my Axe for recording and use the Axe as my interface monitoring through my DAW on my computer, so I can just load up the plugin and disable the can in the Axe for most of the time.

@Pwrmac7600 It exports a WAV, but the file is noticeably longer than other companies WAV files (at least the ones in other companies 48khz/Fractal folder), which i'm assuming is why converting without trimming the files cause issues, but again, I honestly don't know for certain.

@Dandy.Chiggins They for sure should add a feature that trims/fades the wav file for different devices on export. They could only have it export to a properly trimmed 48khz wav file though, as I'm pretty sure Syx is Fractal's proprietary format.

@Pwrmac7600 It exports a WAV, but the file is noticeably longer than other companies WAV files (at least the ones in other companies 48khz/Fractal folder), which i'm assuming is why converting without trimming the files cause issues, but again, I honestly don't know for certain.

@Dandy.Chiggins They for sure should add a feature that trims/fades the wav file for different devices on export. They could only have it export to a properly trimmed 48khz wav file though, as I'm pretty sure Syx is Fractal's proprietary format.
Yeah, man. I hope they do update it to where it automatically exports the WAV file without having to mess with it afterwards. It’d be extra cool if they added the option to just export it to Syx from there.

I was able to create a folder and browse to it thru the axe manage cabs function and add them that way. That way I can export them at their 'zero' points and still be able to edit within the fractal as far as levels/panning for each go.

Sounds excellent so far!

I was able to create a folder and browse to it thru the axe manage cabs function and add them that way. That way I can export them at their 'zero' points and still be able to edit within the fractal as far as levels/panning for each go.

Sounds excellent so far!
Cool, thanks for the bit of info! I’ll have to try that. I picked it up the other night. Hard to pass up at that introductory price.

Cool, thanks for the bit of info! I’ll have to try that. I picked it up the other night. Hard to pass up at that introductory price.
Yeah, that intro price definitely makes it worth it for me at this point. I think the flexibility of exporting each speaker/mic individually gives it miles of runway past a typical cab pack and that's before messing with the proximity controls. AND these room sounds... Unf!

Hi there!
I've bought this plugin and, IMO, is a high quality IRs plugin! It's worth spending 35 bucks.
About AXE FX... I have a II XL+, and yes, it's possible to load 3rd part IRs to blend with natives and export the mix in .wav files. To load it on AF2, I load it in CAB-LAB and send to AX2 with it (send mix to user cab#). The result: exported IR loaded into AX2 sounds exactly the same as plugin.

BTW, you may have some phase problems. If you intent to load Ownhammer IRs, use mpt files to avoid this problems. Try to invert phase too.

Yeah, that intro price definitely makes it worth it for me at this point. I think the flexibility of exporting each speaker/mic individually gives it miles of runway past a typical cab pack and that's before messing with the proximity controls. AND these room sounds... Unf!
The room sounds did take it to another level of tonal seduction for me too. I can’t lie there, haha. Boi-oi-oi-oing!

Really weird that the exported files are pretty inconsistent with properly converting via Axe edit and Cab Lab. Every preset I made/exported (regardless of how elaborate) on release day would not convert properly and I saw loads of people on the GGD Facebook page report the same issue. The fact that the support staff gave me that detailed a solution the day after release makes it seems like they had some idea it might be the norm rather than the exception but who knows. Glad its working well for at least some people. Might uninstall/redownload to see if something weird happened on install, but with staff still pushing the trim/fade solution, i'm not sure it will change much for me at least.

I bought this and there are some really great mixes in there. For the Axe, I just export the IR in GGD (wav) and drag and drop it on the cab name in Axe Edit. It converts it automatically.
No way, really? Other people were saying you gotta do this whole thing to make it work properly. That would make it a whole lot easier. I’ll try it and see if it works properly. Either way, thanks for the reply!

Those who got things imported properly without all the trimming and fading tomfoolery: What OS are you guys on? I'm on a Mac still running Mojave.

Back
Top Bottom