getting unwanted distortion with 2.03 or 2.04

jzucker

Experienced
I'm not seeing the red LED on but the sound on many of my presets act as if something is overloaded.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

Depends on your definition of "unwanted". Tube amps distort. Even when played lightly. When you are "in the room" the sheer volume causes your ears to compress which masks much of this. People are often shocked as to how distorted their amp sounds when mic'd up in isolation.

In the 70's CBS attempted to rid Fender amps of this "unwanted distortion" and ushered in the era of sterile, squeaky-clean amps which ultimately led to disco music and we all know how that turned out. Fortunately the next owners were wise enough to undo these "improvements".

So, assuming it's natural tube amp distortion the first solution is to always turn down the gain and/or MV. It will feel sterile and lifeless because that's what happens when you turn down the gain. Add a compressor before or after the amp block to give some compression.

Now it could be some other distortion but without clips it's just speculation.

Last edited:
No, this isn't tube distortion. It's some type of weird SS / digital distortion. Not pleasing at all. And it's not continuous and doesn't always happen on the volume peak of the notes. Very disturbing...

This is what I hear and experience when the battery in my Sustainer guitar is about to die.

Do you have a sustainer, or an active pickup/tone/preamp circuit in the guitar, that is battery operated?

Do you have a 2nd guitar with passive pickups that you can compare and see if it also causes this weird phenomenon?

I'm not seeing the red LED on but the sound on many of my presets act as if something is overloaded.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

Hi, you might check that the noise gate is totally off in the input block. If it's not, you might hear some noise as notes decay. Just a thought.

I've heard this also, it seems to be an artifact with high gain on some Amps
It really hasn't bothered me I just make gain adjustments if needed..

Jack doesn't play high gain amps to my knowledge of his taste and style. Let's hear a clip Jack and we can try to help you out.

agree with cliff and scott. we're just spinning our wheels without an audio example, opening up rabbit holes. let us know :)

Depends on your definition of "unwanted". Tube amps distort. Even when played lightly. When you are "in the room" the sheer volume causes your ears to compress which masks much of this. People are often shocked as to how distorted their amp sounds when mic'd up in isolation.

In the 70's CBS attempted to rid Fender amps of this "unwanted distortion" and ushered in the era of sterile, squeaky-clean amps which ultimately led to disco music and we all know how that turned out. Fortunately the next owners were wise enough to undo these "improvements".

So, assuming it's natural tube amp distortion the first solution is to always turn down the gain and/or MV. It will feel sterile and lifeless because that's what happens when you turn down the gain. Add a compressor before or after the amp block to give some compression.

Now it could be some other distortion but without clips it's just speculation.
It's more a "bugging sound" CPU digital... The high end sounds like a tv noise... subtil sparkling noise fading out.... Not an amp sound at all or something related to the setting of a patch... More like a firmware bug...

It's more a "bugging sound" CPU digital... The high end sounds like a tv noise... subtil sparkling noise fading out.... Not an amp sound at all or something related to the setting of a patch... More like a firmware bug...

Make a recording. Given that there are tens of thousands of Axe-Fx II users if it were a firmware bug there would be more than two people reporting it.

Make a recording. Given that there are tens of thousands of Axe-Fx II users if it were a firmware bug there would be more than two people reporting it.
It's more for the clean sound... You won't notice if you play with cranked amp or distorsion sound like 95% of the ten thousands...;-) How can I send a recording of it ?

Back
Top Bottom