• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Getting that Tool guitar sound. How to start?

D20

Experienced
Nice find here. Seems like we should experiment with adding a 4x15 bass cab IR into the mix for some depth. I've not seen that in any presets I've tried to emulate Jones.

There was another video, but I'm having trouble finding it where someone uses the VH4 plugin from brainworx and gets really close to AJ's tone as well. Not an Axe Fx, but I think it was some stand alone direct tones for listening.

D20

Experienced
I'll give it a shot, but probably fail pretty bad haha! It's 5am when I made this and my ears aren't awake yet.

Here is my attempt at the AEnima tone. To my ears the actual track sounds a bit darker than my tone, but maybe high passing more could help that. I used the Recto 1 amp and I've attached pics of the settings. I also used an old Redwirez Mesa V30 cap1 IR. I also tried copying the settings as best I could for the Flanger and Delay, but didn't put those in this sound clip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nx7zov61imc8k7/D20's AJ Tone.mp3?dl=0

Attachments

• AJ3.PNG
    AJ3.PNG
    120.9 KB · Views: 14
  • AJ2.PNG
    AJ2.PNG
    148.5 KB · Views: 14
  • AJ1.PNG
    AJ1.PNG
    157.8 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom