Getting Started with MFC-Edit

I guess the big question is... if I accidentally sent a corrupt sysex to the mfc, where can i find a "good" one (like, the original one)?

Edit: Found a 3.05 which loads into MFC-EDIT clean (no errors). However, uploading it still stuck on Loading Presets 1. Trying manual delay override...

Edit 2: Manual override settings not fixing it either. Also, I'm doing it from a laptop which should be plenty fast (Asus 2.53 Ghz, 4G Ram, Intel Core duo). I've tried the full range of delays, both above and below the "default" setting, and to no avail. I have no idea what to try now. :(

Edit 3: Made sure I had latest driver for the Creative E-MU xMIIDI... didn't change anything. Still stuck on "Loading Presets 1"

Edit 4: Ok... something different... after getting the new driver for the MIDI controller, I pressed the "reset default" button under the "Delay Help" screen. Ran the "send" again, no change, then changing the delay to 155ms, the MFC now displays "Loading FirmwareInfo" when it's loading.

Aaaaand, it just sticks on "Loading FirmwareInfo"

Edit 5: FWIW, sending on 180ms delay does the same old "Loading Presets 1" problem. I give up.

Last edited:
You are gifted indeed. This message "should never happen" ;-) D'oh. Its the first time ever I've seen this message. It can only happen in the extremely narrow case of a dump conversion of firmware 3.0 to 3.8 happens at the same time as a Mark II to Mark III conversion is done. Because one of the data structures in the MFC-101 changed in size between those two hardware/firmware versions. Anyway, I've added a check to the code to correct the IA Switch Links if the conditions are met. It will put a Warning into the error log and repair it. Watch for an update tonight or tomorrow.

After updating MFC-Edit to build #3245, load the defective sysex dump and re-save it.

Last edited:
I guess the big question is... if I accidentally sent a corrupt sysex to the mfc, where can i find a "good" one (like, the original one)?

Edit: Found a 3.05 which loads into MFC-EDIT clean (no errors). However, uploading it still stuck on Loading Presets 1. Trying manual delay override...

Edit 2: Manual override settings not fixing it either. Also, I'm doing it from a laptop which should be plenty fast (Asus 2.53 Ghz, 4G Ram, Intel Core duo). I've tried the full range of delays, both above and below the "default" setting, and to no avail. I have no idea what to try now. :(

Edit 3: Made sure I had latest driver for the Creative E-MU xMIIDI... didn't change anything. Still stuck on "Loading Presets 1"

Edit 4: Ok... something different... after getting the new driver for the MIDI controller, I pressed the "reset default" button under the "Delay Help" screen. Ran the "send" again, no change, then changing the delay to 155ms, the MFC now displays "Loading FirmwareInfo" when it's loading.

Aaaaand, it just sticks on "Loading FirmwareInfo"

Edit 5: FWIW, sending on 180ms delay does the same old "Loading Presets 1" problem. I give up.
There are "Stock" sysex dumps in the Desktop\MFC-101\dumps folder.

You are gifted indeed. This message "should never happen" ;-) D'oh. Its the first time ever I've seen this message. It can only happen in the extremely narrow case of a dump conversion of firmware 3.0 to 3.8 happens at the same time as a Mark II to Mark III conversion is done. Because one of the data structures in the MFC-101 changed in size between those two hardware/firmware versions. Anyway, I've added a check to the code to correct the IA Switch Links if the conditions are met. It will put a Warning into the error log and repair it. Watch for an update tonight or tomorrow.

After updating MFC-Edit to build #3245, load the defective sysex dump and re-save it.

Will do, but it'll be after the holidays.

There are "Stock" sysex dumps in the Desktop\MFC-101\dumps folder.

I didn't have enough customization to worry about saving my old sysex, so I'll be perfectly happy starting from a "clean slate ". I'll use one of these as long as they get me back to square one!

Thanks for all the help. Enjoy your holidays!

"Anyway, I've added a check to the code to correct the IA Switch Links if the conditions are met. It will put a Warning into the error log and repair it. Watch for an update tonight or tomorrow."

Was there an update? Sorry if there was... I guess i assumed you'd reply here.

Ah, yes. If you launch MFC-Edit it should advise you to download the update. Have you launched MFC-Edit recently?

Well, I'm just not having much luck I guess. Here's a recap of what's going on (with latest info):

Hardware
Axe FxII Mark 1 Preamp/Processor (Firmware: Quantum 1.02)
MFC-101 Midi Foot Controller (Item Number: FAS003, Firmware: 3.08)
Creative EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface

I have the Axe and MFC connected via an ethernet cable, but I don't think that matters for this. I am not using the Axe as a Midi interface. I have USB ADAPTER MODE set to OFF and SEND REALTIME SYSEX set to ALL.

Software
Axe-Edit
MFC-Edit
Fractal-Bot
All above software is up-to-date on the laptop I'm using (Asus 2.53 Ghz, 4G Ram, Intel Core duo).

The Issue
Axe-Edit connects and works normally.
I CAN get a syx dump FROM the MFC-101 using MFC-Edit with no errors.
I can NOT send the syx back to the MFC-101 using either MFC-Edit or Fractal-Bot. When I send the file, the MFC displays "Loading Presets 1" and does not change after that. It does not seem to make any difference whatever the delay time is set to - I've tried the recommended 90ms (manually set) and also automatic.

Sorry, I accidentally posted the above without really finishing.

It seems obvious that this is some sort of communications issue since the MFC-101 is definitely "listening" and starts the syx dump whenever I send it from MFC-Edit. However, I want to make absolutely sure that I have all my settings correct in case it's something that I might just have set wrong?

I'm just not sure what to do now - what can I provide you that might help?

Well clearly you've tried hard and it shouldn't be this difficult. I'd strongly recommend that you do three things if you want to get beyond this point:
  1. Transmit one of the "stock" .syx files from the MFC-101\dumps folder to the MFC-101; that way you know if it fails, its not the file but the "plumbing" between the computer and the MFC-101.
  2. Try using the Axe-Fx as the USB/MIDI interface instead. There are step-by-step instructions on the MFC-Edit "Help" menu on how to do that. Resist the urge to change anything in those detailed steps.
  3. Create a support ticket.
There isn't much more that can be done in the forum.
-G

Transmit one of the "stock" .syx files from the MFC-101\dumps folder to the MFC-101; that way you know if it fails, its not the file but the "plumbing" between the computer and the MFC-101.

Tried that already - the MFC apparently doesn't receive the file at all. I can get a file FROM the MFC, just not TO it.

Try using the Axe-Fx as the USB/MIDI interface instead. There are step-by-step instructions on the MFC-Edit "Help" menu on how to do that. Resist the urge to change anything in those detailed steps.

I was really hoping to avoid going this route (because of changing the MIDI settings on the AxeFX all the time), but I'll give it a go. Do I have to keep the MFC powered via the adapter for this to work? That means I'll have to buy an adapter. :(

Create a support ticket.
Can you point me in the right direction here?

I hope you don't take my posting this in the forum as anything negative - I just want others to be able to see this in case they're having a similar issue.

I don't see it as negative. The suggestion to use the Axe-Fx as the USB/MIDI interface is simply to replace one of the "likely culprits" - namely the EMU 1x1. If you can get it to load with the Axe-Fx then you know its probably the EMU 1x1. It could be cables too.

You can power the MFC-101 with the Axe-Fx instead of the transformer but its better if you don't while you're trouble-shooting. Honestly, the amount of time you're struggling with it you'd be better off just getting a Roland UM-ONE off Amazon for $36.

Roland UM-ONE
Amazon product ASIN B00967UN50

So, you would not recommend supplying power to the MFC via the ethernet cable for MIDI transfers? I'm just curious - why?

Obviously, I'd like to avoid buying another device (DC Power supply) so is there any harm in trying it? What might happen if it "doesn't work"?

How will you know if MIDI messages are being echoed or sent/received on both the Ethernet and MIDI cables and interfering with each other? You'll just create more problems for yourself to troubleshoot. I have to get back to my work now. Good luck.

I cannot ever get it to work when powering the MFC via Ethernet. I can receive a dump but never send to it, with any software.
However if I disconnect the Ethernet and power the MFC via the 'wall wart' it works 100% of the time.

I cannot ever get it to work when powering the MFC via Ethernet. I can receive a dump but never send to it, with any software.
However if I disconnect the Ethernet and power the MFC via the 'wall wart' it works 100% of the time.

Thanks for this reply.

I've almost given up on this effort, but I think I might go ahead and buy the power supply and give it another go with the Creative EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface. Programming the MFC with just the foot switches is a total pain in the ass.

If you don't mind me asking, which power supply are you using? I've seen this one recommended here.

Back
Top Bottom