Getting Sound More Upfront

LJHood

Been using the Axe8 for a couple of years now and I love it. Lately I've been feeling that my main gain tones lack an upfront in your face feel. Most of this is in relation to our keyboard player. When he plays his 80's synth sounds (think Van Halen and Bon Jovi type synth sounds), I feel like my tones seriously lack the up front quality of his sounds. This may simply be a function of playing with a synth and that its just life. However, I thought I'd ask the community if they've dealt with this and what they try to do to keep their tone more forward and punchy.

For a bit of background, I use mainly the Cornford amp with the Bass 4, Mid 8 and Treble 7. In addition, I like to use the Amp eq - 5 band passive - and push the mids and high mids more as well. Gain is more around a classic AC/DC type gain and not crazy saturated. I also use a nice Ownhammer Marshall greenback IR with a 121/57 combo. Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

A little more info on your monitoring setup would help, IEM, CLR back line, fold back etc.

Better yet upload your preset so we can take a look.

I'd check vinceh's reverb theory. If there's a lot of reverb the sound can get a more distant quality. I wouldn't turn the reverb off, but reducing time and mix parameters might help.

I would set your proximity in the Cab block up. That will give you that sound you are looking for.
How do you recommend setting the Proximity effect up? It is currently off. FYI, I don't use reverb..only delay on solos. The main signal path is just amp into cab and the cab has filters at 120hz and 6000hz. But for some reason I have never messed with the proximity effect.

Kbds are wide in sound, especially when player is using a lot of bass tones. As bass guitar and guitar covers similar frequency, try to cut keyboards at 200Hz and guitar roughly at 120Hz. If it helps, try to find your the best setup. Lowering is mostly better than increasing...

Back
Top Bottom