Getting Santana's Soul Sacrifice tone

mikeyg

Experienced
anyone attempt this tone yet?

From what I've read, the recipe is cranked Twins, serious volume, and very efficient speakers.

I haven't gotten too far into designing this tone, but with the gain and volume cranked on the Twin model, it doesn't have that juicy kerrang, that bright crunch that typifies that tone. It's too rounded and tubby.

Next steps: more extreme EQ, maybe try to turn on the power amp modeling ( I run into the return of my tube amp)

Check with Forum member Galo. Search his posts with recordings. He did a few that did a great job of nailing the pre-Boogie Santana tones.

The Woodstock version is a great tone.

He is using vintage P90's and cranked Fenders with JBL's IIRC.

For me Fenders need the bass rolled off as the gain goes up. But I use FRFR and power amp modeling on.

This tone may be one that can be captured better with an FRFR setup, with cab and power amp modeling on. I've just never got along with that setup

Try the treble booster in front of the amp.
Might get you closer to that biting tone, especially if you've already got the bass turned down low and things are still flubbing out.

A buddy of mine is friends with Carlos I sent the word to him to ask about this.
Greg Rollie's relative bought those amps that Carlos recorded that tune with.

A buddy of mine is friends with Carlos I sent the word to him to ask about this.
Greg Rollie's relative bought those amps that Carlos recorded that tune with.

That's cool- curious now also....whenever I get\got asked for his stuff I just used my Strat. silly I guess, but no one ever complained. Well, to my face anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom