Getting rid of mic coloring, will it be possible someday?

Chiguete

Experienced
Will there ever be a way to get rid of the coloring that a mic makes to the overall tone of an IR? Maybe this is over simplifying it but maybe an EQ curve that cut/boots on what a type of mic adds?

IRs used to widley be produced with a flat mic - exactly what your requesting. At some point, real and classic mics were used since that’s what creates the tones we hear anyway.

I don’t think subtractive EQ would do what you want, so maybe sourcing IRs that use flat mics is what you need to do.

So I know there are some IRs with flat mics but the reasoning for thread was because one might have IRs that work well in a live situation having that coloring of the mic together with the speaker to give the overall sound coming out of the PA but for home playing/practicing guitar players are used to just listening the speakers without a mic in there, so that's why I wonder if there is a way to take put the mic from the IR.

I know that a plain and simple EQ wouldn't work but I didn't know how to call it otherwise :).

The difference between one speaker and another -- with and without mics -- isn't simply a matter of EQ. The differences are physical. Spatial. Multidimensional.

if you used an earthworks mic, and you phase align it right after the fact to put the zero crossing in the right spot, whatever speaker you're monitoring out of (if it's an FRFR) will basically "become" the V30 or G12T-75 or whatever speaker u used, it won't be a 'recording' of the guitar cab speaker, it will BE the guitar cab speaker, with the right EQ response (from the super science-y sine wave low-SNR sweep) and the right resonance (because you put the IR zero crossing smack dab on top of your FRFR zero crossing). :laughing::sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

edit: also it will have the right resonance because the virtual power amp and speaker page will be distorting and boosting the right frequencies based on the virtual speakers impedance curve. now how to tie meta data to IRs to load up the right speaker page settings! GET IN CLOWNS, WE'RE GOING TO THE FUTURE!

So I know there are some IRs with flat mics but the reasoning for thread was because one might have IRs that work well in a live situation having that coloring of the mic together with the speaker to give the overall sound coming out of the PA but for home playing/practicing guitar players are used to just listening the speakers without a mic in there, so that's why I wonder if there is a way to take put the mic from the IR.

I know that a plain and simple EQ wouldn't work but I didn't know how to call it otherwise :).

if your IR is in phase it will work anywhere, live or studio, no matter what EQ you do to it

Every cab you have ever heard has had at least one to three mics in the signal chain and a few non-flat response components between the cab and your brain.

Even if it was the experience of cab in a room, your two ears are microphones with decidedly non-flat frequency responses also picking up the room coloration.

Once you start talking about FOH or recording of a cab, you definitely have a non-flat mic, non-flat mic preamp, eq in the signal chain. For FOH, also add in the sound of the FOH speakers and crossover system with additinal room coloration thrown into the equation.

FRFR is a bit of marketing hype. It is not the flat response of an Earthworks mic, RTA mic, or flattened far field studio monitors. Rather FRFR is about a pleasing monitoring experience for the ear with no radical scoops or bumps in key frequencies like cab speakers traditionally have.

Most FRFR are two or 3 way cabs with crossovers that you can personally hear if you have the actual captured cab in the same recording environment with an FRFR monitor side by side featuring the IR file of the cab in the same environment and compare them with the same performance signal blind folded

Until we can get cabs recorded in an anechoic chamber with proper taming of the LF response (lots of anechoic chanbers get really funky in their LF response curves unless they are tuned really well or built on a massive scale) with the flatest of all mics with a truly flat mic pre and converter beamed directly into your auditory cortex, you are not experiencing the cab itself but varying degrees of approximation.

In the end though since everyone always experiences cabs through their ears, a direct beam experience of them would probably not be pleasing experience anyway.

Last edited:
man I'm surprised fractal hasn't built an IR synthesis engine that you can construct your own cab and speakers and room and impedance and everything, be able to move the mic sim around like in Amplitube or Wall Of Sound. The cab and virtual space really is the last piece to the reality puzzle, these amps are so dang real it's absurd.

Back
Top Bottom