Inspired
Hi All,

Working on my main metal sound, which currently sounds like this:

This is:

In 1 -> CMP -> FIL -> DRV -> AMP -> CAB -> OUT 1

Drv: T808 OD
Amp: Energyball
Cab: 4x12 MAR-CB PR-M20B 121 OH and 4x12 DZL-RL V30 U70 OH

The problem is that when I am chugging the parts I can hear this fuzzy noise overlaying my playing. When I ring out the chords, it seems to go away.

Any idea how I get rid of this noise over the chugging parts?

Thanks in advance!

It’s the drive pedal. Always does that to me. Use it for solos only. Use a bit of high cut in the cab block. Lots of other ways to roll off highs that fizz but mainly the drive pedal

Less gain. Maybe faster compressor attack.

But before you get rid of the crunch in your chug, see what it sounds like in the mix.

the chords are ringing out well. your rights its the chugs, almost sounds like when you use the low strings you are clipping somewhere .
Reduce gain a bit ,try the lo cut in amp block , hi cut and low cut in the cab block.
turn off everything but amp cab until you get it to go away , then put things back in and you'll find the culprit
if the drive pedal has gain cranked, back it off or try a different pedal , just as a boost

Its the bass overloading the patch. I usually mess with the low resistance in the amp block to help that, but as others have said, mess with low end in the pedal itself. That helps out a lot.

Guarantee drive pedal. These just don’t chug or I haven’t found one that does or the settings that promote a sharp crisp chug. I don’t like artificially gating to get a chug. Never had to on a real amp.

What is your drive level at in the drive block? The common boost trick is to put drive at 0 and the level high to provide the boost into the amp.

Ok, I would turn the cut switch on and use the shimmer drive at default settings and back the gain down on the amp to maybe 3 or 4 tops.

It just sounds like maybe too much gain?

Are you using EMG's? - in which case I would probably drop the compressor. And instead of using the drive pedal I would probably just use the Input EQ in the amp block.

With that much gain, does the compressor actualky make a difference beyond maybe acting as a boost?

Have you tried dropping the bass down a lot in the preamp and then adding it back with post EQ? This is how lots of guys get their sound with real amps and pedals.

Isn't the power amp section of the model functioning as a compressor?

I understand a compressor before the amp input for a clean sound, but considering all the stages of compression inherent to an overdrive amp gain structure, what would be the idea behind putting one before everything in a high gain amp sound signal chain?

I had an issue recently where I was clipping when chugging but not on anything else. I had to turn the drive block level down a couple. Does it happen when the drive is off - with another amp etc.?

Isn't the power amp section of the model functioning as a compressor?

I understand a compressor before the amp input for a clean sound, but considering all the stages of compression inherent to an overdrive amp gain structure, what would be the idea behind putting one before everything in a high gain amp sound signal chain?

no, most high gain amps, the power amp adds little compression, they are meant to be high headroom so they don't. they are all about preamp gain. not to say they can't....but if you look at any high gain set up the MV is kept so low that's adding as little compression or coloration as possible.

Back
Top Bottom