Getting Petrucci's live 1992 tone

dtsteve

I'd like to do Ytse Jam with my band, and would like to try to emulate JP's tone from the Music in Progress tour, as heard on Live at the Marquee and their Live in Japan video.
Does anyone have a decent suggestion for a starting point? I'm using the EB/MM BFR 6 string along with FW 15.02... One issue that I find often is controlling the amount of presence in my tones. The tone from this era really is a very thick one, with little presence / high end, it seems.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Petrucci was using a Mesa Boogie Triaxis live during that period, so I would go with one of the Axe-Fx's "USA Pre" amp models as a starting point (the USA Pre Yellow would be an obvious choice).

Here's the links to a few of pages that have several of Petrucci's personal Triaxis settings from that time and/or Petrucci-esque user settings (try Googling "Petrucci Triaxis Settings" for more):

petrucci settings on a triaxis

Triaxis Users / Petrucci Tones

http://triaxismesa.free.fr/patchbay/artistab.pdf

For IR's, try ones that are of a 4x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30's (Petrucci's speakers of choice), preferably a Mesa Boogie cab.

This is one of my favorites:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/attac...ips-tricks-welcome-mb-trad-4x12-v30-57-08.syx

While I always liked his live lead tone from back then, his rhythm tone was terrible (imho). It was very thin and brash sounding, which never made sense to me because the lead tone was just the opposite. I remember Petrucci being very surprised by it years later when the band did the commentary for the Live In Japan video reissue, saying that it sounded like he was using single coil pickups.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, that tone sounds thin to me.
I prefer his Recto sound from around 2004.
Would be cool to hear your results though...

I'll probably have to wait until Thursday to try this, went to a Boston show tonight and have practice tomorrow night. The drummer already nixed Ytse Jam (lol) but I'll still try to go for the tone. We're a cover band that plays everything from Chuck Berry to Muse, so I have a lot of tones already coming out of my II. My big concern is taming that presence, though.

I'm probably not going to help saying this but..
A lot from his tone at the moment came from the Ibanez JPMs.. I'm saying that because I'm a huge Petrucci fan and I also own a EBMM JP6, and I can clearly tell when something is played at those Ibanez or when it's played on a EBMM JP =/
They sound really different from each other.. for me the Ibanez sounds thinner, kinda sparkly and almos single coil-ish, while the EBMM JPs sound bolder, thicker and more agressive..

I've done some videos trying some different Boogies, hope it helps in some way. There's also a Mark IV Rhythm, a Dual Recto Rhythm and a IIC+ Lead. All vids in my channel.
Presets on the video description =)

Hope it helps =)

Back
Top Bottom