Getting paralyzed by options

Eman7422

Inspired
lately been getting caught up in parametric EQ and sweeping frequencies to carve things out, maybe make a slight boost here or there, a shallow cut somewhere and of course roll off lows and highs and then

determine that maybe it actually doesn’t sound any better, maybe right then, maybe the next day with fresh/different ears.

and then use the low and high cut in the cabinet block and try to determine if that is enough but then am I rolling off too many highs etc….

I know I should just play but lately I’m obsessing on this eq stuff. Even amp eq.

help me stop!

This is why I always use my little practice amp for actual practice. Whenever I use Fractal products outside of a live setting on stage or in rehearsal, I end up doing nothing but tweaking. On the little practice amp, I'm so happy when I find a good tone, I don't want to touch a thing. haha

This is why I always use my little practice amp for actual practice. Whenever I use Fractal products outside of a live setting on stage or in rehearsal, I end up doing nothing but tweaking. On the little practice amp, I'm so happy when I find a good tone, I don't want to touch a thing. haha
I recently took a cue from I forget which youtuber (maybe Tim Pierce) and started using only a clean tone (no reverb) for practice. It helps you play cleaner and I find you also avoid being distracted by effects.

I've gone back and forth with PEQ as well. Now I'm of the "less is more" approach. Now I'm using it primarily for hi/lo cuts - and a narrow/shallow cut around 4Khz. Aside from that - I am only making a change if something JUMPS OUT at me. I also do A/B on/off with the PEQ to hear what it's doing and if I like it. However, I start only with the hi/lo cut - then add the 4Khz to determine if it helps.

I recently took a cue from I forget which youtuber (maybe Tim Pierce) and started using only a clean tone (no reverb) for practice. It helps you play cleaner and I find you also avoid being distracted by effects.
I never even use an amp for practice. Next to sleep, there is nothing I’ve done more in my life than sit alone with an unplugged guitar haha

I try to make myself a rule. When it's time to actually practice and play, hands stay on the guitar. I use my feet for pedals and switches as needed, but hands off the Fractal. I don't even open Axe Edit if I need to use my computer for backing tracks or sheet music. It's all too easy to get sucked into the tweaking rabbit hole. It's weirdly addictive, but often quite counter productive.

Back
Top Bottom