getting Excess cpu message when trying to upgrade to 6.0??need help?

bmf5150

hey guys,i have vesion 3.03 on my axe fx now,tried to upgrade to 6.0 twice and keep getting message on axe fx excess CPu usage???any idea why this is happening?

Version 6 uses more CPU. You will need to remove some blocks from your patches that give you the Excessive CPU Usage message.

So you start the upgrade process and it stops saying excess CPU? So you are still on 3?

The file goes all the way to the end,100% and then tells me excess CPU usage!it flashes it!it then still shows older firmware version that I'm running!3.03

Ok guys just tried it again,but this time I turned off all the blocks !it went all the way to 100% and the axe fx said transfer error???any ideas?

I have never heard of that msg during 2 yrs of doing MANY, MANY firmware upgrades.
Is the msg on the Axe itself or in AxeEdit?

Mine gives me the excessive cpu message when I try to update using my laptop running Windows XP. Have to use another computer running Windows 7 to do my updates. What operating system are you using on your computer?

Ok guys just tried it again,but this time I turned off all the blocks !it went all the way to 100% and the axe fx said transfer error???any ideas?

If you mean by “turning off blocks” bypassing them, not good enough they are still active.

Try going to patch 384 or 383 (I forget which one) but it’s a titled “Bypass” nothing but a bunch of shunts and then try the upgrade. If that does not work it may be too big a jump to go from ver3 to ver6 as suggested by “Bruce1448” and maybe have to do 4 or 5 in between. Although I don’t remember reading that.

And since your Axe Fx is behind the times compared to most of us what version of the USB driver do you have?? Check it out on the support page Fractal Audio Systems Support
Upgrade that USB driver if it behind the times!!! Although I never had a problem upgrading firmware with the older driver I did find it a bit clunky when running Axe Edit. (I have Vista also BTW)

Next suggestion would be try another computer, or try MIDI-OX also found on the support page.

Last edited:
Well I just tried the upgrade with my laptop than runs vista and it worked!si must have been computer issues!

Back
Top Bottom