getting dirty background note on clean amps

frankiev

Experienced
I dont know if this is new or its been this way awhile as I dont use clean tones much . It seems when I setup clean tones I get a distorted background tone that tracks along with any notes I play so I hear the clean note with a buzzy distortion in the background. I checked with presets from this forum and also setup by me .No matter what I try I cant get rid of the dirt .Im not overloading the axe and I tried it with different guitars . Any ideas as to whats going on ?

You need to help us help you here.

Can you share a clip of said noise? Are your guitars setup correctly (fret buzz, intonation, wiring, etc)? Can you break down your entire signal chain pre and post Axe-FX that you are listening through?

I get a similar thing on clean to slightly dirty amps where if I dig in when I play a note, there's a very unnatural noise/distortion happening. I'll do some further research to see if I can work out why it's doing that.

Ill get a clip tomorrow . Signal chain is guitar to Axe to either an atomic 18watt amp from output 2 or a set of mackie hr824's from output 1.So that tells me the noise is comming from both outputs 1 and 2 and its definitly not the power amps since they both have the same noise .I tried it on several guitar and all where the same so it cant be the guitar . I have a bad feeling about this

rdomain said:
I get a similar thing on clean to slightly dirty amps where if I dig in when I play a note, there's a very unnatural noise/distortion happening. I'll do some further research to see if I can work out why it's doing that.
Yes thats exactly what Im hearing

mmm, interesting. I was surprised no one else had mentioned this.

I've already tried playing with different amp sims, volume and gain levels, bypassing fx blocks, etc. I usually run stereo so it's not a phasing issue. I'll have to try some different guitars again. I've gotta go out for a few hours. I'll have a suss when I get back.

no active pickups,single coils and humbuckers Tried several amps at many different settings . I didnt try lowering the input knob because it was nowhere near overload .

Post a clip and then also share your preset.

Be sure to note what sorts of cables you are using. What is your output settings and global settings.

From what you are describing, something is amiss - I'd guess - in your gain staging or you guys are doing something similar that is resulting in this.

It's speculation, but frankly, I've owned/borrowed 4 different Axe-FX's and set up at least a half dozen others and never once heard anything like what you are describing.

I want to help, or at least try to help but I need a complete and detailed system breakdown and all your settings from everything in order to do so.

I hear the same thing diggin in the strings on clean amps (noteably the deluxe) but consider the tone to be an ugly 'distorted airiness' behind the note. It's most apparent on my alder strat with dimarzio area's in it. My basswood strat dampens this higher frequency so it's less apparent. I actually went through 3 pickup changes in the alder strat because of it.

BK

Scott .very doubtful about the gain staging as I used presets from several sources on this forum as well as stock presets and my own .Ill try to post a clip this pm
thanks

Scott Peterson said:
Post a clip and then also share your preset.

Be sure to note what sorts of cables you are using. What is your output settings and global settings.

From what you are describing, something is amiss - I'd guess - in your gain staging or you guys are doing something similar that is resulting in this.

It's speculation, but frankly, I've owned/borrowed 4 different Axe-FX's and set up at least a half dozen others and never once heard anything like what you are describing.

I want to help, or at least try to help but I need a complete and detailed system breakdown and all your settings from everything in order to do so.

Scott .very doubtful about the gain staging as I used presets from several sources on this forum as well as stock presets and my own .Ill try to post a clip this pm
thanks

I tried a single coil guitar and a humbucker guitar. Both had the sound. All the levels are very conservative and I also have gotten this sound from presets people have uploaded before. Definitely a higher frequency breakup type sound but not musical at all.

I remember a post about something similar. turns out it was a tuner pedal in between the guitar and the Axe.

I only noticed something like this once - and it was fretbuzz. I adjusted the neck and it went away.

impossible to tell without a clip, but not quite dead but dying cables can sometimes produce a high frequency distortion. dirty/dusty jacks/plugs can also do this.

No pedals between guitar and axe .Ill try a different input cable tonight, its the only thing i didnt change .It cant be the output cables(s) because as I stated earlier I tried both output 1 and output 2 with different cables and different amps . It also cant be the guitar because i tried 3 of them .
I dont know if this matters but as info I was using the editor to load presets in the axe .
Could it be a corrupt flash from the last update ?
Would it be okay to record a sample on my phone Im not really set up to record on my computer right now

Frankie,

A Phone is not going to give us the sound quality we need. Send the patch, then some of us with recording rigs can send back samples of what it should sound like.

My time at lunch is limited but I couldnt wait . I set up an amp (brownface) and acab (12l) Drive at 4.3 master at 6 everything else at stock settings .I used a different cable and a 4th guitar (tele) with no fret buzz into a set of mackie hr824's . There is a deffinte harsh upper frequency to the high notes when plucked hard it almost sounds like a harmonizer with a really short delay .Turning off the bright and turning the presence way down almost eliminated the nasty notes completly . Something is amiss for sure . Should I return this for repair ?

I notice something similar on really bright patches. Turning the bright switch off or lowering the presence usually eliminates it.

Probably distorting the virtual power amp. Either turn down the Drive or the Master (or both).

Back
Top Bottom