Getting closer to a real amp sound on stage?

I fried the QSC k12 I was using the other day and used an amp and pedals and man was that fun. I came to the forum today to find out what people are using onstage to get closer to the sound and feeling of using a real amplifier with the AX8.

I use a old ADA power amp ,The one with the 12ax7's in it, with a marshal 1960 ,900 cab in stereo .pretty convincing tone .45 years chasing tone .feel like I'm back in the 80's playing hair band tunes(with gray and thining hair) :)

Ax8/ pedal Magnum 44/ real2x12 cab with celestion v30 and gt75 only to monitor on stage. Or in ear. I dont like tone on active speaker monitors.and goes xlr direct to mixer( with CabS on of course)

Last edited:
Use a tube power amplifier and conventional cabs. It limits your choices but it works if you want to do things that way.

Easiest to use real mics as well (esp. with AX8 as it only has one amp block and your sag/power amp sim will probably be off in presets). I use Sennheiser e609 mics with my conventional tube rig which can be simply hung over the cabs and held in place by gaffa taping the cables to the top of each cab, so it's like 2 mins more setup time compared to direct xlr out from my AxeFx, so a similar approach would work with an AX8/tube amp/cab to send a FOH signal.

Or ....... just use a conventional amp/pedalboard whenever you feel like it? I play some places where a simple old school rig just sounds better in the backline as the PA is more just for vocals and the room has the acoustics of a wet sock.

A full range speaker angled up fatigues my ears , guess I'm old school and like a cab behind me .1x12 or 4x12 :)

Although my setup is not the norm, I run my AXE with both amp and cab sims on, into a Mesa 2 Fifty tube stereo power amp into a Mesa 4 x 12 cab or 2 Mesa 2 x 12 cabs, (loaded with Celestion Creamback 65s), in stereo. Sound is tubular, tremendous and strong.

AX8 into 1x12 or 2x12 with my favorite Celestions powered by an old Carvin DCM150 (SS) sounds just as glorious as tube heads and pedals into the same cabs. But there's the huge advantage of getting any type tone at any volume required, and not having to chase off people trying to put their beers on the Roland Space Echo. Dialing in the AX8 Power amp parameters to work optimally with the real cabinet isn't much work: and it's really cool to be able to adjust it so the actual speaker sounds like its being driven into compressing and breaking up at moderate volumes. FRFR is better for sheer versatility and control over lots of effects and post amp treatment. Sometimes just running an XLR (with matching IR cab block on) to the board and PA is the best option. Prefer using a cab: but I have my presets set up so I can go either way, or do both.

I prefer a good cab: but if I can't have a Cab: a Malbec will do. ;)

Last edited:
Lots of good comments. I'll add that the QSC k12 isn't doing the AX8 justice. In particular, I've got both the k12 and the QSC HPR 122i and the difference is drastic. The 122i is both fuller and brighter and the k12 sounds like you put a blanket over the 122i and lost some bass.

As an example, because the k12 is much easier to lug around, I swapped out the 122i for it at rehearsal. The band noticed a difference and mentioned how it doesn't sound as good.

I'm not saying the 122i will sound the same as running the AX8 through a guitar cab, but it does sound better than the k12.

I used a k12 for 10+ years. Never had an issue, I always stood it up and pointed at my legs, not in a wedge, and pick good IR's. QSC is a reputable company with tons of live pa applications that I doubt would sell any if it sounded like crap. It's all in how you dial in your sounds. IMHO YMMV

Oh, I agree that the k12 isn't crap. I just think the 122i sounds better to the point that other musicians notice the difference without being asked.

Kind of like saying a Porsche Carrera is better than a Boxster.

I think it’s easier (on the back at least) to just come around to getting used to hearing your guitar tone as it sounds to FOH, through IEM’s or wedges.

Having to haul extra gear around, deal with stage volume etc, and have it not affect what the audience is hearing just doesn’t seem worth it in my book.

Back
Top Bottom