Getting close to that Hevy Devy tone.

Poozer79

If you can't tell from my username, I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan. I love everything he's done. So, with that said, even before I recieved my Axe Fx a couple months ago, I've been wanting to recreate his main echoy rhythm tone. I've been working on it a lot over the last couple weeks and feel like I've gotten really close with this one. I used the guitar tone from his 2012 GuitarMessenger.com masterclass from a couple of years ago for my basis. I still have a few tweaks to do to get the delay/reverb blocks closer and to possibly see if I can bring the CPU usage down as it's hovering right around 90% or over when I have Reaper open, but I'm fairly proud of how close I got.

Feel free to take a listen and tell me what you think

Cheers

Adam

Last edited:
I'm also a HUGE Devy fan. I'm anxiously awaiting the Blu-ray release of his performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Judging from all the fan shot YouTube clips from the show I've watched, Dev seemed to be in great form and put on an amazing show. Just the fact that he played Ocean Machine's Funeral/Bastard/The Death Of Music (back to back to back) is reason enough alone to get the Blu-ray.

Anyway, tone sounds great and very much like Devin's. No constructive criticism to give, just to keep it up. Great job! :)

Very close man! Huge Dev fan here myself. Got to meet him at NAMM and had the chance to chat with him for awhile. After a few minutes of being a complete fanboy we talked guitars and gear for a few minutes. I begged him to share his patches again and he said possibly as he is going through a few changes with his setup. I have to say he is one of the most genuine and humble artists I have ever met. After meeting him on the first day he remembered my name for the next three days and made a point to say hello. After telling him that my fiance was a huge fan the first time we met on the third day he gave me a signed picture and a guitar pick and said "here, give this to Heidi for me". I mentioned her name on the first day when I met him in passing only.

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning tone. Damn near identical to my idea of his tone. Was there any tone matching at all or did you just dial it in by ear? I'd love to have a look at the preset if you'd be willing to upload it. :)

I'm definitely a huge Devin fan too. He's a great musician and a very down to earth guy. I haven't listened to him in a while actually. I might have to give Z2 another spin tonight. :encouragement:

Dev posted his preset a while ago View attachment 26820. This was done with an earlier FW version, but hey, it's a start.

I did download the preset from the MetalSucks interview to try and get a handle on what Devin was doing with all of his PEQ's and Filter blocks, but ended up making my own being that it was from when he was still using the GP100 and didn't contain the wet signal with all the delay and reverb.

I'm fairly sure for his most recent setup he was using the Axe Fx for his wet signal and the Kemper for his dry. I unfortunately don't have those kinds of resources so I need to try and make it all work inside the Axe [emoji6]

Absolutely stunning tone. Damn near identical to my idea of his tone. Was there any tone matching at all or did you just dial it in by ear? I'd love to have a look at the preset if you'd be willing to upload it. :)

I'm definitely a huge Devin fan too. He's a great musician and a very down to earth guy. I haven't listened to him in a while actually. I might have to give Z2 another spin tonight. :encouragement:

I did do a match of the GuitarMessenger video, but the percentage is turned way down in the TM block and it sits at the end of the dry signal like another filter block as opposed to using it as a cab replacement. I'm still using a dual cab set up similar to what he suggests in the video.

I have some more tweaking to do just because I'm a little OCD like that and I think I can get it even closer, but once I'm 100% satisfied I might post it up here in the future [emoji16]

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom