Getting an FM3, or Axe-Fx 3?

sally.m

I am contemplating getting a new FM3, deciding on it over AXE FX3 purely because I am not that advanced of a user and only want a few simple good tones.
Here is a question I have, I have googled for an hour and haven't found a clear answer yet. So I thought someone here might be able to help.

I only have the option to get the non-headphone FM3 at the moment, as I am not in the US. I have a small mixer with a wireless headphone plugged in, so I don't care about the actual headphone feature. However, what I am worried about is if there are any hardware differences between the first series with no headphone jack and the later models with headphone, as in any other hardware tweaks or upgrades. I have seen info that they are "functionally identical" but are they also identical in hardware apart from the headphone jack or would there be small changes and updates in the second series?

Not interested in waiting for the newer model to show up in my country, which would not be soon. If there is no hardware difference apart from a missing headphone circuit and all other hardware identical, I would go ahead and accept the inv and purchase one. Otherwise, I would go with an AXE FX3.

Everything has said it’s just the addition of the headphone jack. There’s no “mark 2” or whatever.

I am on the a wait list for an FM3 myself but if portability (VERY important to me, I already own an AxeFX2 which I never had any intention to drag it with me all the time) and/or money (double the price) wasn't an issue I would just opt for the AxeFX3 and call it a day.
That's a big plus for the FM3. I don't need portability but as I don't really need the features of the AXE FX3, I'd rather have a unit with the smaller footprint more affordable price.

That's a big plus for the FM3. I don't need portability but as I don't really need the features of the AXE FX3, I'd rather have a unit with the smaller footprint more affordable price.
Well, keep in mind that you'd need to have a controller for the Axe III, so it would, in effect, be the same literal "footprint" as the FM3, assuming you'd get something like the FC6 or that you'll keep your FM3 on the floor.

I'd go for the III. You never know when you're gonna want those additional inputs/outputs or the extra power to experiment with a really ambient delay preset - or, hell - desire two amps at once. The FM3 is VERY capable in its own right, but it's very limited compared to the Axe III. If the FM3 were my first foray into Fractal territory, I would not be nearly as blown away as I was having gotten the III first.

But if you're certain you use relatively simple patches and don't have any complex routing plans or don't plan to incorporate external pedals in loops or whatever, you'll be very satisfied with the tone you'll get from the FM3.

It’s a trade off of course:

FM3 - smaller, cheaper, lighter, more portable
Axe 3 - more powerful, leading development, more future proof

I have both an AF3 and FM3. Both are great, but if I had to choose I’d pick the AF3 hands down. Its CPU power is superior, you can use two amp blocks at a time, and it gets new firmware features sooner. I make tons of use of all three of those. For me, the FM3 is relegated to Madison Square Couch use and smaller practices and gigs that call for it. The AF3 is the flagship for a reason. Both are great products though.

But, if u use the same patches. The same amp, cab, od or whatever you need.. u get the same sound?.. I was asking myself if my axe II with ares sounds the same as the FM3 or the Axe, and if the fm3 sounds equal to axe iii. I always use the minimal blocks, so for me is just quality of the models

2cent's, I'd get the FM3 because of the portability, cost and intimidate gratification oh and low cost ;) you can always use the USB or just use a small headphone amp.

But, if u use the same patches. The same amp, cab, od or whatever you need.. u get the same sound?.. I was asking myself if my axe II with ares sounds the same as the FM3 or the Axe, and if the fm3 sounds equal to axe iii. I always use the minimal blocks, so for me is just quality of the models

Same sound quality as long as the same features have been implemented into both of their firmware. For example, there is beta firmware available for the AF3 that has number of improvements, including enhanced pitchshifting and compression, which isn’t yet available on the FM3. In instances like that they do not sound the same. Additionally, you can get sounds on the AF3 that you can’t on the FM3, for example, running two amps at the same time. But yes, if you’re running a minimal block setup that’s consistent across both with the same firmware features implemented, the sound quality should be the same.

I just sold my AxeFxIII today after owning it since 12/2018. It's awesome, but I really don't need that much awesome. I only use one amp at a time. I tried tone matching, but I don't use it. I've found I'm more of (meat and potatoes) an amp and cab guy with a little effects here and there. I play in a blues band. Well, I used to, hopefully again soon when things open up again. If I have to make additional presets for specific songs because I can't play every song in one kitchen sink preset, I can live with that. I like the size and portability of the FM3 (arrives Friday). I had a great time with the AX8. I sold that after I had the III for a little while. It would have met my needs today probably. I still have my FC6 and FC12. It might be a little dancing, but I could probably get away without either FC most of the time. I used to be jealous that AxII would get updates before AX8. I'm not concerned about that anymore. I'll use what I've got when I get it. If I really miss the III, I can buy one when they are back in stock. I think I'll be good. Time will tell.

Last edited:
The AXE III is drastically better than the FM3 for the simple fact that you could actually have one in your hands this week...

Time proved me wrong. I do need (want) that much awesome. (See post #12) My AF3 arrives Thursday. The FM3 is awesome too, but I have a serious condition called FAS (FractalAudio Acquisition Syndrome).

I am contemplating getting a new FM3, deciding on it over AXE FX3 purely because I am not that advanced of a user and only want a few simple good tones.
Here is a question I have, I have googled for an hour and haven't found a clear answer yet. So I thought someone here might be able to help.

I only have the option to get the non-headphone FM3 at the moment, as I am not in the US. I have a small mixer with a wireless headphone plugged in, so I don't care about the actual headphone feature. However, what I am worried about is if there are any hardware differences between the first series with no headphone jack and the later models with headphone, as in any other hardware tweaks or upgrades. I have seen info that they are "functionally identical" but are they also identical in hardware apart from the headphone jack or would there be small changes and updates in the second series?

Not interested in waiting for the newer model to show up in my country, which would not be soon. If there is no hardware difference apart from a missing headphone circuit and all other hardware identical, I would go ahead and accept the inv and purchase one. Otherwise, I would go with an AXE FX3.

We have been told they are the same except for the headphone. I am not new here and saw no reason to wait. I have the FM3 non-headphone. Sounds great. I would add, just my OWN opinion here-----if there is a difference, I'm thinking the FM3 non-headphone would have the advantage-NO headphone circuity to mess things up. ;)

I was looking at this video:
and in this FM3 demo, Camilo can have only simple preset: amp, cab, reverb, delay, and he hits CPU limit already. He is saying he can't add drive, and uses amp gain as drive, also he is saying he is already using economy mode for reverb and delay.
I am curious what other's experience? This looks concerning for choosing FM3 over AF3..

Camilo can have only simple preset: amp, cab, reverb, delay, and he hits CPU limit already.

Actually he also has another four blocks in the grid (pantrem, rotary, pitch and plexdelay) which are just disengaged (but they ARE in the grid so they add to the cpu utilization) plus a VolPan (engaged).

Actually he also has another four blocks in the grid (pantrem, rotary, pitch and plexdelay) which are just disengaged (but they ARE in the grid so they add to the cpu utilization) plus a VolPan (engaged).
Ok, I didn't know disabled blocks still consume CPU.

Ok, I didn't know disabled blocks still consume CPU.

No worries.

I didn't watch the whole video (only a few seconds actually) but if he doesn't use any other of the blocks he has in the grid then that preset is kinda a kitchen-sink preset which is not the best approach with the FM3 (the AF3 would be a better solution for that approach since it has a lot more power).

Last edited:
I didn't watch the whole video (only a few seconds actually) but if he doesn't use any other of the blocks he has in the grid then that preset is kinda a kitchen-sink preset which is not the best approach with the FM3 (the AF3 would be a better solution for that approach).

He uses them on different scenes. Preset has 8 scenes, and in my understanding he created it for all kinds of common sounds he may need during his sessions.

running two amps at the same time
I am curious, in your experience, do you observe noticeable tones improvements using advanced features (two amps, high res IRs, more powerful presets)?

I am in the same boat as original author: waiting for FM3 invite, but thinking if I really should buy AF3. I am a headphones bedroom player, but really enjoy good tone, sound is more than half of enjoyment from playing guitar for me.

Back
Top Bottom