Getting a preset into a scene

Liquid22

Inspired
Hi everyone!

I suppose many of you own(ed) a Axe II, just like me and I wonder how you’re managing the merging of your presets.

What I mean: In the past, for some of my songs I had i.e. two or maybe three presets (mostly CPU-reasons). Now that the Axe III is capable of handling more scenes, channels and their labelling, I want to merge those presets into one.

So instead of 3 individual presets I would like to have them in 3 scenes inside of 1 Preset. Unfortunately we’re not able to just copy all blocks of a preset into another preset’s scene.

So I wonder what might be the easiest and smartest way to get a preset into a scene ???

A scene is just the on/off states and active channel of each block, so "copying a preset to scene" doesn't really make sense.

Assuming you have the same blocks in the same configuration, you can "merge" things but it's going to be a fair bit of manual work.

First, convert your individual presets for use on the III. Then combine them.

Let's use the Amp block for an example. Using Axe-Edit, copy each of the 3 amp channels from the individual presets (presumably channel A) and paste those as Channels A, B, and C in your new master preset. You might alternately switch between TWO amp blocks, or multiple channels on multiple amp blocks. "It depends."

For effects, you may be able to simply copy/paste entire blocks instead of channels.

Also familiarize yourself with Scene Controllers, which extend these methods.

Let me know if you need further help!

Okay, so you would recommend using the copy/past functions and jumping between the presets back and forth.

I had in mind to maybe safe every block of a preset as a template Block (blk) (less jumping). I thought later it could be nice to say: “In this new preset the delay of that Song-Preset would fit perfectly. I’m gonna load that block.”

That’s the reason why I wanted to ask the forum for different ways.

Reactions: KDM
copy/paste blocks as much as possible. other than that, adjusting settings manually is the fastest way. and actually you may have to change the settings as you make them since the Axe3 is different.

unfortunately there's no "magic button" to do this - because how would it know where you want thing. but going through it block by block ultimately produces the best outcome.

I think “scene copy” and “scene paste” would be a pretty useful idea.
A scene doesn’t copy or paste blocks though, so this by definition won’t help with different presets. Within the same preset though, you can copy and paste Scenes since they are all the same block, just on/off and channel setting.

A scene doesn’t copy or paste blocks though, so this by definition won’t help with different presets. Within the same preset though, you can copy and paste Scenes since they are all the same block, just on/off and channel setting.

It would be useful if you could. (copy and paste scenes between presets)

This is bordering more on "wish" - but it is related to the problem the OP is trying to solve and the comments made by others. Mods - please feel free to move it if you like.

TL;DR
Sure would be cool to import a block channel from a different preset without ever leaving my current preset.

Details
Keeping it simple, I often have times where I want to combine AMP and CAB (among other things) from multiple presets into one new preset.
That is I want my NEW (combined) preset to have:

1 AMP Block with
- (Channel A) from Preset X Amp (A)
- (Channel B) from Preset Y Amp (A)
- (Channel C) from Preset Z Amp (A)

1 CAB Block with
- (Channel A) from Preset X Cab (A)
- (Channel B) from Preset Y Cab (A)
- (Channel C) from Preset Z Cab (A)

There are a LOT of ways I can do this - but all of them involve either a LOT of clicking back and forth (never forgetting to save all along the way) and/or a lot of manual entry.
What would be SUPER helpful would be to import a block channel from another preset without ever leaving my current (new) preset.

I see a possible implementation like this:
- drop an amp block into my new preset
- select the channel I want to modify in that block
- click something to allow me to import a specific channel from an existing amp block (either Amp1 or Amp2) in another preset.

No back-and-forth clicky-clicky between different presets.
No manual entry.
LOTS of ways the UI could be designed to accomodate this flow while minimizing the performance impact.

It's not a magic button solution - but it seems like it would elegantly address the root issue. Just my $0.02USD.

I once designed a "Channel Manager" where you would lay out up to four blocks from your library at the bottom and drag their channels as desired into the slots for a block of the same type from your current preset. It looked cool and would have worked great, but there are just too many other things to do unfortunately, and the current methods do work. Maybe when we some day come around to Axe-Edit III v2.0 (noting that as I write this, v1.0 is just 4 days old!!!)

A similar visual setup as 'Quickbuild' in Axe-Edit except with block library would be handy in this situation along with ability to customize block names (on the blocks themselves) would make this a breeze.

Last edited:
This is bordering more on "wish" - but it is related to the problem the OP is trying to solve and the comments made by others. Mods - please feel free to move it if you like.

TL;DR
Sure would be cool to import a block channel from a different preset without ever leaving my current preset.

Details
Keeping it simple, I often have times where I want to combine AMP and CAB (among other things) from multiple presets into one new preset.
That is I want my NEW (combined) preset to have:

1 AMP Block with
- (Channel A) from Preset X Amp (A)
- (Channel B) from Preset Y Amp (A)
- (Channel C) from Preset Z Amp (A)

1 CAB Block with
- (Channel A) from Preset X Cab (A)
- (Channel B) from Preset Y Cab (A)
- (Channel C) from Preset Z Cab (A)

There are a LOT of ways I can do this - but all of them involve either a LOT of clicking back and forth (never forgetting to save all along the way) and/or a lot of manual entry.
What would be SUPER helpful would be to import a block channel from another preset without ever leaving my current (new) preset.

I see a possible implementation like this:
- drop an amp block into my new preset
- select the channel I want to modify in that block
- click something to allow me to import a specific channel from an existing amp block (either Amp1 or Amp2) in another preset.

No back-and-forth clicky-clicky between different presets.
No manual entry.
LOTS of ways the UI could be designed to accomodate this flow while minimizing the performance impact.

It's not a magic button solution - but it seems like it would elegantly address the root issue. Just my $0.02USD.
The challenge here is that Axe Edit operates "live" on a given preset. It would have no way to access settings from another preset without changing to that preset.

That requires an "offline" mode of some sort, which we've been told many times won't be implemented... And currently can't, since it operates in a client/server model.

Thanks for that explanation Unix, makes sense.

Would that effect the idea I raised as well?
I don't think so, since the block library lives on your computer.

I think combining the block library into the Quick Build would be great.

When you select a block to drag you could optionally choose a block library version of the block... Maybe alt-click or ctrl-click?

Okay, so you would recommend using the copy/past functions and jumping between the presets back and forth.

I had in mind to maybe safe every block of a preset as a template Block (blk) (less jumping). I thought later it could be nice to say: “In this new preset the delay of that Song-Preset would fit perfectly. I’m gonna load that block.”

That’s the reason why I wanted to ask the forum for different ways.
If you are willing to post the presets or message them to me, I will do this for you. I may have a few questions for you, once I see the presets?

It just a mater of finding what is common between them first, Including every block needed to cover everything needed. And then copying the channels into the clipboard and pasting them all together in the new preset.

Hey!!! :openmouth:

One great thing junst came into my mind: The new Win10 1809 has the ability to safe multiple things into the clipboard!!!

I can't test it right now, because of some bad bugs of the windows update. But in general a multi-clipboard would mean you can copy all blocks of a preset one after another into the clipboard. And THEN you only have to switch one time to a different Preset to paste all blocks into a specific scene step by step.

I can't wait to try that out. Or has Axe-Edit it's own clipboard :-(

Hey!!! :openmouth:

One great thing junst came into my mind: The new Win10 1809 has the ability to safe multiple things into the clipboard!!!

I can't test it right now, because of some bad bugs of the windows update. But in general a multi-clipboard would mean you can copy all blocks of a preset one after another into the clipboard. And THEN you only have to switch one time to a different Preset to paste all blocks into a specific scene step by step.

I can't wait to try that out. Or has Axe-Edit it's own clipboard :-(
Axe Edit has its own...

Back
Top Bottom