Getting a good Hendrix tone

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
I've been into Hendrix again this week and I've been trying to dial in some Hendrix type tones on my Axe FX II while I'm impatiently waiting for FW10 :)
Anyway, so I'm getting some ok results with the plexi amps and the fuzz face model but I could use some tips!
I'm using 2 fender strats both equipped with Texas Special pick-ups.

What amp would you use?
How would you set your gain, MV and EQ settings and how would you set the fuzz settings?
Wich cab would you use?

Help would be great!
Thanks!

Cabs: greenbacks (G12M), 20 or 25 watt. Or G12H. Or G12L.
Apart from Plexis, try the '69 Bassman.
Master Volume cranked on Plexis and '69 Bassman. Use Drive to dial in desired gain.

Wah, univibe, reversed delay ...

And try the improved Bender Fuzz in fw 10. ;-)

COme the end of the week, you'll have to change it all of course!

Yep. I heard somebody's FW10 clip and I kept thinking Voodoo Chile. They weren't playing anything like it, but it sounded like it was just waiting for some Hendrix.

Might want to blend in some Twin, too, particularly for the cleaner Hendrix sounds. I've heard there were Fenders used in the studio as well as the more well known Marshalls. Particularly when he first started recording studios weren't used to having amps as monstrous as a 100 watt Marshall around. Live, much more Marshall, but recorded, more of a mix I think.

LIstening to Hendrix records, I usually end up thinking that provided you've got a good clean or fuzzed tone (depending), using a Strat - maybe with in-between-pickup phasing - if you play it right you get the sound. THe LFO phasing too - I have a Univibe, and it's great. I do like the Axe Plexi - which cleans up very nicely when you lower the guitar input. Oh... it's all good - and so much less hassle than the real thing!

How do you set the actual amp gain wise?
Did hendrix have a clean tone on his marshalls and was the distortion all fuzz or a combination of both?

Hendrix's tone is really nothing special imo. Just a great player into an amp. I love playing Hendrix through a bassman though. The EJ Clean patch on neck pickup is pretty damn Hendrixy.

I'm working through some Hendrix tones today.

I can't get the octave fuzz to produce enough of the octave sound for the purple haze solo.

Strat Neck pup -> COMP -> DRIVE -> AMP -> CAB -> REVERB

AMP: Plexi 100 watt High
Drive: 2
Bass: 8
Mid: 9
Treb: 6
Compression: 10
Presence: 4
Depth: 5
Master: 8
Bright: on

CAB: monohires: 4x12 basketweave green mix
Cab size: 1
Motor Drive: .56

Drive: Octave Dist
Drive: 9
Tone: 3.4
Bias: 0.100

I've been into Hendrix again this week and I've been trying to dial in some Hendrix type tones on my Axe FX II while I'm impatiently waiting for FW10 :)
Anyway, so I'm getting some ok results with the plexi amps and the fuzz face model but I could use some tips!
I'm using 2 fender strats both equipped with Texas Special pick-ups.

What amp would you use?
How would you set your gain, MV and EQ settings and how would you set the fuzz settings?
Wich cab would you use?

Help would be great!
Thanks!
check out this guy presets http://tylergrund.com/axefx2/

Back
Top Bottom