Getting a direct, unprocessed signal that “honks” through my preset tone when picking heavily

EVHunchained

Kind of hard to explain...but sometimes when I’m picking heavily, I can hear what sounds to be an unprocessed signal of my guitar cutting through whatever preset I’m playing on the Axe FX II XL+.

CPU is fine, none of my levels on my presets seem to be clipping...no clipping on my input.

It’s almost unnoticeable but if I hit a chord hard enough you can almost hear that direct signal “honk”. It’s rather annoying and I don’t know how to get rid of it short of playing really soft and never digging in!

Kind of hard to explain...but sometimes when I’m picking heavily, I can hear what sounds to be an unprocessed signal of my guitar cutting through whatever preset I’m playing on the Axe FX II XL+.

CPU is fine, none of my levels on my presets seem to be clipping...no clipping on my input.

It’s almost unnoticeable but if I hit a chord hard enough you can almost hear that direct signal “honk”. It’s rather annoying and I don’t know how to get rid of it short of playing really soft and never digging in!
what amp type? are you using headphones? are you loud enough for the sound to cover your guitar strings?

what amp type? are you using headphones? are you loud enough for the sound to cover your guitar strings?
Tends to be on heavier tones, 5153 50w Blue Channel for example. It’s not all the time; only if I really dig in but yeah...I’m up loud enough to not be hearing my strings. Coming through direct signal going to FRFR studio monitors as well as output two (going directly into the power amp of a 5150 1x12 combo).

Output 1 is what goes straight to the in-ear mixer for my band/front of house mix; output 2 bypasses the cab sim and is really just for an optional on-stage reference for people in the front row or if our ears would ever go down we have something we can hear live on stage.

Probably some sort of technical reason for it, Iike intermodulation distortion, ghost notes and all that other stuff Cliff can only explain. Odds are the real world amp models would produce the same tones, and its just an effect of the circuit and digging in hard etc

Do you have two parallel lanes of output and bypass one of them? If the bypassed block in the other lane is not set to mute, dry signal will be sent and give you a clean guitar signal that you can hear if you play hard.

The "Air" parameter in the Cab block is intended to do exactly what you describe... introduce a bit of clean input signal into the output of the Cab block. Do you have the Air parameter turned up? Sounds like you want to lower it, if so... or get rid of it altogether.

The "Air" parameter in the Cab block is intended to do exactly what you describe... introduce a bit of clean input signal into the output of the Cab block. Do you have the Air parameter turned up? Sounds like you want to lower it, if so... or get rid of it altogether.

Air blends low-passed signal from the cab block input, so it's probably not that.

A preset or recording from the OP might help identify what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom