Getting a "better" sound

multivir

Inspired
Hey there,

A few days ago I took my axe to a rehearsal at a friend's place. Before that I tweaked my sound at home.
I needed something pretty straight forward for country music, so I just took a fender amp, a speaker, comp, reverb, delay & a switchable drive block.
At home (through my FBT Verve 8MA) it sounded great, but when I hooked up my Axe to his P.A. ... - I guess that this has been in a thousand other threads before.

His P.A. seems to take out some of the mid frequencies and push bass & treble. I wouldn't worry about this since I know of the existence of the general EQ. What was astonishing to me was that the factory patches still sounded great through his P.A. - it was only my own patch that sounded thin.

What I'm missing is a "cut-through quality without distortion". It's pretty obvious that this is my lack of understanding of how to get a great sound out of the AFX. If I listen to the sound by itself, I still like it as it sounds like a real fender amp. I just need to tweak it to cut through the mix a little better without being much louder or distorted when there's other sound sources coming out of the same set of speakers.

Any suggestions on how to get there? Is it just more compression / harsher EQing or do you have other tricks?

Thanks,

Mat

multivir said:
Hey there,

A few days ago I took my axe to a rehearsal at a friend's place. Before that I tweaked my sound at home.
I needed something pretty straight forward for country music, so I just took a fender amp, a speaker, comp, reverb, delay & a switchable drive block.
At home (through my FBT Verve 8MA) it sounded great, but when I hooked up my Axe to his P.A. ... - I guess that this has been in a thousand other threads before.

His P.A. seems to take out some of the mid frequencies and push bass & treble. I wouldn't worry about this since I know of the existence of the general EQ. What was astonishing to me was that the factory patches still sounded great through his P.A. - it was only my own patch that sounded thin.

What I'm missing is a "cut-through quality without distortion". It's pretty obvious that this is my lack of understanding of how to get a great sound out of the AFX. If I listen to the sound by itself, I still like it as it sounds like a real fender amp. I just need to tweak it to cut through the mix a little better without being much louder or distorted when there's other sound sources coming out of the same set of speakers.

Any suggestions on how to get there? Is it just more compression / harsher EQing or do you have other tricks?

Thanks,

Mat
When you made the patch at home, did you have the volume at the same level that you were listening to it at rehearsal? If you create patches at bedroom level, usually they'll sound like they have too much bass and treble at loud(er) volumes.

When you made the patch at home, did you have the volume at the same level that you were listening to it at rehearsal? If you create patches at bedroom level, usually they'll sound like they have too much bass and treble at loud(er) volumes.

+1. It makes a world of difference. You can use a PEQ block or the Global EQ if you want to filter lows and highs or to differentiate between home (soft) and gig (loud) use.

Back
Top Bottom