Gettin' Sick Of Your Shit Mr. Pro Tools

H13

Inspired
First of all.
I really like the workflow of Pro Tools.

Secondly:
I love how easy it is to edit stuff with Pro Tools.

Unfortunately:
I hate how it can fuck up rather majestically on you.

A common problem I'm having is that some days, I'll boot up Pro Tools and it'll insist on the system usage hovering around 90%, making tracking or even mixing basically impossible. It doesn't matter how many tracks I freeze to free up usage, or plugins I remove, it'll sit around 90% and cause tracking\weird errors no matter what I do.

Gettin' REEEAAAL tired of it as a matter of fact. My Google-Fu is failing me. Does anybody have any genius suggestions to make Pro Tools not be randomly shite?

...Or suggestions for another Not Shite DAW?

Unfortunately if you want to use PT, you're generally stuck with all that it is and is not.

I listen regularly to a Podcast called Radiolab. The show's producer had a twitter series of Protools crash screen captures containing funny notes in the field "Please describe what happened before the crash." There were dozens of these. Here are two to help you know you aren't suffering alone.

Me? I switched to Logic.

12314035_821627567947884_7122455861500484026_n.png

12342613_828080420635932_9076593665277858621_n.png

Last edited:
With PT you must not fall prey to the desire to update your software all the time. I think I'm on 12.something with Yosemite and it is very stable. Once you hit a working combo, don't change it. If you must, set it up on a separate system and run it as a pilot until proven working.
Logic was the same. The first many iterations of Logic X were buggy as hell and I had to stay with 9 for a LONG time before X was stable enough not to crash every session.
Obviously those guys don't have as dedicated a Beta testing team as Fractal's! Ahem! :D:)

Without knowing any details about your system, no...

Here ya go:

Processor: i7 8700 (3.2 GHZ, 6 Core)
RAM: 32 GB
Mobo: Z370 HD3
Running into a SSD

Once I've finished this project, I'm considering switching to Cubase. Thoughts?

If you want stability, then Cubase a safe bet. I’ve been using it for many years and don’t think I’ve had a single crash in the last 4 or 5 years.

And nowadays there is no noticeable difference in audio quality between the different DAWs.

Dear Mr. Pro Tools.

Today your system usage is at 50% and all I have done since yesterday is turn on the computer.

Kindly fuck thyself ASAP.

Sincerely: Dickface here.

H13, is this an Avid-approved configuration?
I'm on a Mac, no idea about Win...
What's your interface? ProTools version? Have you contacted Avid, the DUC etc.?
Any plug-ins that could cause problems?

H13, is this an Avid-approved configuration?
I'm on a Mac, no idea about Win...
What's your interface? ProTools version? Have you contacted Avid, the DUC etc.?
Any plug-ins that could cause problems?

Avid approved whatnow?

I'm running an RME UCX. Newest version of PT.

It was a problem that appeared and disappeared across 24 hours.

So while I've been using Pro Tools, I've also been researching Cubase

Plugins work better, MIDI works better, Control Surfaces work better, it looks nicer...

Aside from reputation and studio legacy, why is Pro Tools preferred?

Aside from reputation and studio legacy, why is Pro Tools preferred?

Well you already mentioned it. But apart from that a pro Pro Tools rig is a considerable investment. Both financially - but also in work flow.

Pro studios needs to make money. You're not doing that if sit around trying out new software. And they need to compatible with other studios.

And new engineers and producers can start working right away cause it is Pro Tools.

But some studios do have alternative setups with Cubase, Studio One etc.

Back
Top Bottom